Convulsion Generator REDESIGN (skiff friendly, acrylics)

Discussion & support for FSS products.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, futuresoundsystems

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Convulsion Generator REDESIGN (skiff friendly, acrylics)

Post by futuresoundsystems » Mon May 06, 2013 5:06 am

A slight physical redesign of the Convulsion Generator FIL1 is now available with acrylic panels:

This new design ensures skiff-friendliness (the depth behind the front panel is kept within 27mm), and, with the acrylic front panel, a slightly cheaper price of £50 (as opposed to the £60 aluminium version).

Note that the acrylic panels are currently 3mm in thickness - 1mm more than standard aluminium Eurorack panels. I'm trying to get some batches made up in 2mm, but I'm slightly concerned they may be too flexible. We'll see. For the time being, the 3mm acrylic is nice and sturdy.

For those alu-lovers, this redesign WILL be available with an alu front panel, as well as a few additions to the circuitry, mainly in terms of normalling.

For more photos, see the FSS Facebook page.

Cheers!
Fin
Unique designs and ideas in sound since 2005:
http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

thorncore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thorncore » Mon May 06, 2013 7:42 am

new design looking nice and skinny..
The circuitry changes you refer to are they significant,and are they implemented on this new acrylic version or only on the forthccoming aluminium.

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Mon May 06, 2013 2:12 pm

thorncore wrote:The circuitry changes you refer to are they significant,and are they implemented on this new acrylic version or only on the forthccoming aluminium.
They aren't at all significant really. They're going to be introduced with the next run of PCBs, so hopefully quite soon. All they will introduce is a set of jumpers on the PCB to choose how you want to normal the Input connection.

The "classic" FIL1 has its Input floating, which causes the output to stay negative with no input.

This latest PCB for the next few acrylic builds has its Input normalled to ground, so the output is at 0V with no input.

The next PCB will have jumpers to allow the user whether to normal the Input to floating, 0V or the + Output (this causes the FIL1 to turn into a "chaotic" oscillator, but only at certain settings).

xpando
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xpando » Mon May 06, 2013 2:23 pm

chaotic oscillator.. nice. hope to see this new version soon. frac-naner me one so it can play with the bugs! :nana: :bugbrand:

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Mon May 06, 2013 2:24 pm

For sure! Was looking at the board earlier today and it really shouldn't be difficult at all :guinness:

xpando
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xpando » Mon May 06, 2013 3:10 pm

futuresoundsystems wrote:For sure! Was looking at the board earlier today and it really shouldn't be difficult at all
sweet! im looking forward to seeing/hearing some bugs convulse.

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:03 am

futuresoundsystems wrote: The next PCB will have jumpers to allow the user whether to normal the Input to floating, 0V or the + Output (this causes the FIL1 to turn into a "chaotic" oscillator, but only at certain settings).
Have the new set with the jumpers been made? The chaotic oscillator function really interests me so I'd like to hold out for that.

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:41 pm

dan_k wrote:
futuresoundsystems wrote: The next PCB will have jumpers to allow the user whether to normal the Input to floating, 0V or the + Output (this causes the FIL1 to turn into a "chaotic" oscillator, but only at certain settings).
Have the new set with the jumpers been made? The chaotic oscillator function really interests me so I'd like to hold out for that.
They have, but funnily enough it's very difficult to get it to oscillate without an external stimulus, so you're better off mixing one of the outputs back in with the input stimulus.

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:41 pm

futuresoundsystems wrote: They have, but funnily enough it's very difficult to get it to oscillate without an external stimulus, so you're better off mixing one of the outputs back in with the input stimulus.
Sorry just to clarify, would the older revision oscillate by patching it as well or you need the new version with the jumper in addition to patching it? :hmm:

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:54 am

dan_k wrote:
futuresoundsystems wrote: They have, but funnily enough it's very difficult to get it to oscillate without an external stimulus, so you're better off mixing one of the outputs back in with the input stimulus.
Sorry just to clarify, would the older revision oscillate by patching it as well or you need the new version with the jumper in addition to patching it? :hmm:
Either will oscillate with external patching (+ mixing if you want extra input excitation stuff) :)

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:49 pm

ok thanks for clarifying.

This one is definitely on my radar and I'll be picking one up soon! :guinness:

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:35 am

Based on my previous post to this thread I wasn't that quick.

What was quick however was your ship time, made it here yesterday after I ordered it last week! :sb:

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:05 am

dan_k wrote:Based on my previous post to this thread I wasn't that quick.

What was quick however was your ship time, made it here yesterday after I ordered it last week! :sb:
Great to hear Dan! Hope you're enjoying it :party:

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Re: Convulsion Generator REDESIGN (skiff friendly, acrylics)

Post by syncretism » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 pm

[dupe post]
Last edited by syncretism on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Re: Convulsion Generator REDESIGN (skiff friendly, acrylics)

Post by syncretism » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Heya, FSS,

I see you make this available in Frac format, and I'd love to add it to my BugBrand. Would it be possible to acquire a banana version with MTA100 connectors for power? Thanks!

Return to “Future Sound Systems”