MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Korg Monotribe modifications thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next [all]
Author Korg Monotribe modifications thread

pulse_divider

I saw there was already a thread asking about specific modifications but I can't seem to find any centralized information on what modifications are possible for the Monotribe and how to achieve them. I'm sure this info will slowly creep out as they are now shipping in large numbers and I'm hoping to have a dedicated thread to refer to as I try and muck with mine.

So, has anyone modded theirs yet?
What have you done, and how did you do it?
I have yet to figure out how to open mine, the 3 screws on the back seem to serve to hold the jack board in place, I can't figure out how to get the case open. Those of you who've had it open, how did you get the case apart?

Supposedly there are pads on the board for modding the drum sounds (a la the Bass Decay YT video) but I haven't seen a picture of the insides yet, anyone have one?

My #1 want for a mod is individual outputs for the drums and synth. Trigger outs would be nice too but I could live with audio outs and generate triggers from those.

Low-Gain

I haven't cracked mine open yet but i fully intend to in the next few days.

Individual outputs (drums and waveforms)
Trig I/O
LFO Reset In
External LFO
to name a few... are what i'm looking for.
I'll get into the drum voicing eventually. I really like how they sound, def gotta have individual outputs though!

I'll post my findings here

Vcoadsr

pulse_divider wrote:
I saw there was already a thread asking about specific modifications but I can't seem to find any centralized information on what modifications are possible for the Monotribe and how to achieve them. I'm sure this info will slowly creep out as they are now shipping in large numbers and I'm hoping to have a dedicated thread to refer to as I try and muck with mine.

So, has anyone modded theirs yet?
What have you done, and how did you do it?
I have yet to figure out how to open mine, the 3 screws on the back seem to serve to hold the jack board in place, I can't figure out how to get the case open. Those of you who've had it open, how did you get the case apart?

Supposedly there are pads on the board for modding the drum sounds (a la the Bass Decay YT video) but I haven't seen a picture of the insides yet, anyone have one?

My #1 want for a mod is individual outputs for the drums and synth. Trigger outs would be nice too but I could live with audio outs and generate triggers from those.

You can easily open it by lifting up the four rubber feet and you'll find the screws to take the back off.

So far I have found no markings/text that show where a CV pitch mod could be started. There is text for the drum parts but I'm less interested in those when compared against the CV Pitch control and gate.

So far it looks to be a lot more complicated to mod than the Monotron.

I will watch this thread with anticipation!

Malekko

Hopefully mine gets here today~

Dinner at the Y w00t

pulse_divider

Vcoadsr wrote:

You can easily open it by lifting up the four rubber feet and you'll find the screws to take the back off.

So far I have found no markings/text that show where a CV pitch mod could be started. There is text for the drum parts but I'm less interested in those when compared against the CV Pitch control and gate.

Thanks for the tip, I finally got it open! Yes, it looks like all the mod points are for the drums, but this is what I want. I'd actually be more interesting in a CV/Gate output mod, the sequencer is the fun part. Neither is really important to me, though, decay mods and individual outs will make me very happy.
Here are some pix of the insides.

pulse_divider

Also, just noticed that Korg is still labeling boards with the KLM prefix... I know my old PS-3100 also shared this naming convention and think most of their vintage (Lambda, PE-1000/2000, Sigma) analogs did?

3vcos

OOOOHHHHH

thanks for the pics. Any chance you could post some high res shots?

pulse_divider wrote:
Vcoadsr wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I finally got it open! Yes, it looks like all the mod points are for the drums, but this is what I want. I'd actually be more interesting in a CV/Gate output mod, the sequencer is the fun part. Neither is really important to me, though, decay mods and individual outs will make me very happy.
Here are some pix of the insides.

machetemirage

I would go for a monotron "modbox", a separate unit with knobs and jacks for all of that. Also, I'm hoping someone crafty will get LFO and Osc outs somehow...

pulse_divider

3vcos wrote:
OOOOHHHHH

thanks for the pics. Any chance you could post some high res shots?

Edited for larger photos, I think that's the largest it will allow.

andrewF

nice pics, I want!

Low-Gain

machetemirage wrote:
I would go for a monotron "modbox", a separate unit with knobs and jacks for all of that. Also, I'm hoping someone crafty will get LFO and Osc outs somehow...

In theory if the waveform select switch is done in an analog fashion... then each waveform should be at each of the points on the switch. toss in an output buffer and you've got individual outputs. Not to mention the noise out put at the pot. So that wont be a problem either. :-D

And of course you start poking around the EG switch and i'm sure hoping to find some stuff to start playing w/ the EG.. or at minimum.. allow me to find a VCA CV input... Assuming this entire synth section is analog.
It's all just a matter of following signal flow... Much like the NovaMods on an SH-101.

pulse_divider

What would the SD Frame Out be? Pitched portion of the snare drum?

darenager

Exactly

computer controlled

Its weird they would have the SD Frame and Noise on their own outputs.

phono1337

computer controlled wrote:
Its weird they would have the SD Frame and Noise on their own outputs.

It's probably a test point rather than an intended output

darenager

Yeah, but with the added bonus of allowing each part to go to each side of a pot, then take the output from the middle pin of the pot, voila a nice tone/snappy control for the snare w00t

Veqtor

Hmm, I am considering getting one.... Would be cool to try and attach a mini patchbay to it.

chando

It would be great if someone figures out how to turn off the OSC... so it can be useful for ext filtering...

th0mas

-- ADVANCED IDEAS --

So, I have this theory. It's only a theory, and it's slightly crazy, but it's a theory until being disproven.

- there is a microprocessor on board. It's a Toshiba ARM
- the microprocessor has a hardware serial input.
- there was probably left over code space. The sequencer is simple.
- it would have been free to have basic MIDI handling code on that microprocessor. Space is there, code would take a few days max and they probably tried it.
- it would have been annoying to make it fully featured (full range, pitch bend, channel selection, pattern dumping, full clock support, etc..)
- it would have cost $ to actually wire up the optoisolator and MIDI socket, so they left it off.

So basically my theory is, if you attached the standard MIDI input circuit to the serial input of the toshiba micro controller.. maybe MIDI will just work to some degree smile woah

Other theory is that they didn't disable reading the firmware back from the chip so you could, with the debug interface, read the code back and then modify and reupload it. again, total theory smile

these are currently relatively crazy thoughts. ive been drinking. w00t

nitro2k01

Hmm, could someone please tell me the exact model number on the CPU chip says? Or better yet, a nice crisp photo of the CPU chip.

pulse_divider

nitro2k01 wrote:
Hmm, could someone please tell me the exact model number on the CPU chip says? Or better yet, a nice crisp photo of the CPU chip.

which one is it in the picture? Or is it on the other side of the board?

nitro2k01

Must be on the other side of the board. It's likely the chip with the most pins. Probably a square one with pins on all four sides.

computer controlled

mckenic

Dont know if its that my ears are old & shot, the beers Im drinking, youtube or my monitoring set-up... I certainly can hear changes on the snare and hats but no difference on the Bd seriously, i just don't get it

Still - exciting times hyper

Veqtor

Truly exciting times, I might actually pick one up... if so then I plan on finding a box that's about the same height and depth of the monotribe and adding a small patchbay and some extra switches etc. I'll attach the box to one of the sides to make it wider...

Would probably be fun to fm the osc w. the bd, sd frame etc...

Lotsa stuff to be done... Just wish it had an reset in...

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next [all]
Page 1 of 35