Unreleased Richter Designs - Pulse Farm

Discussion and support for Wiard Products

Moderators: Kent, carygrace, grantrichter

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Unreleased Richter Designs - Pulse Farm

Post by wavecircle » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:23 am

I have been nerding out on the Yahoo Group and read a little bit about designs from about 10 years ago which weren't released. The Anti-envelope and/or envelooper are often mentioned but the Wiard Pulse Farm immediately stood out to me. It sounded like an awesome module, all kinds of clock generation and pulse processing.

Does anyone with more experience with Wiard know anything more about this module? Could Grant or Cary provide some information?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

mfirman
YuZen

Re: Unreleased Richter Designs - Pulse Farm

Post by mfirman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:13 pm

wavecircle wrote:I have been nerding out on the Yahoo Group and read a little bit about designs from about 10 years ago which weren't released. The Anti-envelope and/or envelooper are often mentioned but the Wiard Pulse Farm immediately stood out to me. It sounded like an awesome module, all kinds of clock generation and pulse processing.

Does anyone with more experience with Wiard know anything more about this module? Could Grant or Cary provide some information?
If it's the module I'm thinking of, Grant has the prototype in his possession.
It was designed to be a master clock for a multi-modular performance ensemble (actually our ensemble MEME). There were a few problems with
the first attempt at driving all the different types of modulars (Serge, Wiard, and others) and the idea wasn't taken any further. I believe it worked well
as long as it wasn't overdriven.

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:32 am

Interesting.

From what I gathered it was kind of like a wogglebug but for gates and pulses. As well as random gate bursts I think someone mentioned dividing and boolean functions too.

The world needs more Wiard.

:wiard: :wiard: :wiard:

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Is there more info anywhere? I'd love to see Grant's take on doing some interesting clock math & it might provide some inspiration to my potential investigations into that arena.

Norman_Phay

Post by Norman_Phay » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:34 pm

This looked quite interesting I thought:

http://musicsynthesizer.com/Neurons/Neurons1.html

I'll admit, I don't quite "get" it, I guess it's one of those things you have to try/use/play with before you understand it.

In the files section of the Wiard Yahoo group there used to be a set of front panels for 300-style modules that I don't think ever got past the conceptual stage. The one I remember was the original "Boogie" filters - a HP and a LP and a filter coupler, man I really wanted that one! there was something called a "Drone Tone", a comb filter, some kind of computer/CVinterface thing I think? It was a long time ago. They were interesting, anyway.

fester
Learning to Wiggle

the 'unreleased'

Post by fester » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:41 pm

The existence of this topic has taken on an interesting twist in light of the fact that there is now another cook in the Wiard kitchen. Is an unreleased design by Grant a Wi.A.R.D. or ....?
Assuming the former. i suppose the issue is whether these designs might -ever- become Wi.A.R.D. products.

My personal take is: probably not.

Unless you've ever tried building this stuff for sale, that is with the ostensible aim of making enough money to feed yourself enough to make a few more next week, it's difficult to imagine what a HUGE difference there is between a neat gadget that does some remarkably unique function that you like a lot ...and a neat gadget that enough people will regard as sufficiently indispensable that they will yield-up a liveable US wage to compensate your investment in labor and materials.

This, i believe, is why Grant is one of the hall-of-famers* in terms of his support for DIYers. Only a handful of designers can match or exceed his generosity in PUBLISHING schematics for the really cool stuff. He does this (by his own account) to 'contribute to the field' and to pay his own karmic debt to the generous souls of previous generations , like the late , venerated John Simonton or Bernie Hutchins.

DIY is the arena where i believe Grant hopes to see some of his more esoteric (and less commercially bankable) concepts realized.

...even a few that proved to be not-so-esoteric!
The profusion of non-Wiard wogglebugs on the market is due directly to Gran't generosity in publishing the WBug#3 circuit.

Folks interested in Grant's work with complex pulse-pattern generators should visit his musicsynthesizer.com page and look on the 'Grant Richter' subpage for the 'hardware neurons' topic.
You will need to be equipped with more than just your paypal password to reap the benefits, but he -did- publish a fully functional schematic for the circuit at the end. (i know it's functional because i've built it) What's more, he re-printed the bionic engineering concepts that underpin it's design. You can gain a lot of insight into Grant's muse by examining the way he translated the concept of an electronic neuron into a pulse generator for musical applications.

i know of very few -commercial- designers who are so 'open source' about their ideas and applications. And Grant is of the elites who should be paraded around in a sedan chair for the generosity of his contributions to everybody making gadgets in the modular analog renaissance.

i have heard him criticized for being resistant to user-suggested mods or features but i think his critics misunderstand his zeitgeist. He loves new ideas ...and he encourages those who have the ideas to develop them and publish them on the internet themselves. Just as he did.
Wiard's existence is predicated on the ascendance of the internet. Grant realized in the late 90's that web could be a forum in which analog design ideas could cross-pollinate at a scale that was unimaginable in the days of snail-mail journals and academic libraries. The message in his penchant for freely sharing schematics is clear:
"be fruitful and multiply"
(and do it yourself)
Don't wait around for Wiard (or any manufacturer) to release your dream machine. Study the embarrassment of riches on the web, grab a breadboard and.....
...and when you're done, think long and hard about publishing your work. Pay it forward to the next generation. In this area i declare that he -totally- led by example.

*In this pantheon, i include Bernie Hutchins, Ian Fritz, Ken Stone, Jurgen Haible, PAiA (Scott Lee & the late John Simonton) Harry Bissell, Rene Schmitz, & Scott Stites. There are many others, of course, but these are the guys i found who just give till it hurts!

megaohm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by megaohm » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Norman_Phay wrote:This looked quite interesting I thought:

http://musicsynthesizer.com/Neurons/Neurons1.html
This and the AudioDamage plug Axon are the inspirations for what I'm working on now.
Fun stuff!!!
www.MegaOhmAudio.com

Will work for pistachios

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:15 pm

The various designs that Grant has laid out and talked about over the years are interesting from a perspective of understanding where he is coming from and how he sees synthesis.

The future is bright with possibilities.
Last edited by revmutt on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Re: the 'unreleased'

Post by wavecircle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:24 pm

fester wrote:The existence of this topic has taken on an interesting twist in light of the fact that there is now another cook in the Wiard kitchen. Is an unreleased design by Grant a Wi.A.R.D. or ....?
Assuming the former. i suppose the issue is whether these designs might -ever- become Wi.A.R.D. products.

My personal take is: probably not.

Unless you've ever tried building this stuff for sale, that is with the ostensible aim of making enough money to feed yourself enough to make a few more next week, it's difficult to imagine what a HUGE difference there is between a neat gadget that does some remarkably unique function that you like a lot ...and a neat gadget that enough people will regard as sufficiently indispensable that they will yield-up a liveable US wage to compensate your investment in labor and materials.

This, i believe, is why Grant is one of the hall-of-famers* in terms of his support for DIYers. Only a handful of designers can match or exceed his generosity in PUBLISHING schematics for the really cool stuff. He does this (by his own account) to 'contribute to the field' and to pay his own karmic debt to the generous souls of previous generations , like the late , venerated John Simonton or Bernie Hutchins.

DIY is the arena where i believe Grant hopes to see some of his more esoteric (and less commercially bankable) concepts realized.

...even a few that proved to be not-so-esoteric!
The profusion of non-Wiard wogglebugs on the market is due directly to Gran't generosity in publishing the WBug#3 circuit.

Folks interested in Grant's work with complex pulse-pattern generators should visit his musicsynthesizer.com page and look on the 'Grant Richter' subpage for the 'hardware neurons' topic.
You will need to be equipped with more than just your paypal password to reap the benefits, but he -did- publish a fully functional schematic for the circuit at the end. (i know it's functional because i've built it) What's more, he re-printed the bionic engineering concepts that underpin it's design. You can gain a lot of insight into Grant's muse by examining the way he translated the concept of an electronic neuron into a pulse generator for musical applications.

i know of very few -commercial- designers who are so 'open source' about their ideas and applications. And Grant is of the elites who should be paraded around in a sedan chair for the generosity of his contributions to everybody making gadgets in the modular analog renaissance.

i have heard him criticized for being resistant to user-suggested mods or features but i think his critics misunderstand his zeitgeist. He loves new ideas ...and he encourages those who have the ideas to develop them and publish them on the internet themselves. Just as he did.
Wiard's existence is predicated on the ascendance of the internet. Grant realized in the late 90's that web could be a forum in which analog design ideas could cross-pollinate at a scale that was unimaginable in the days of snail-mail journals and academic libraries. The message in his penchant for freely sharing schematics is clear:
"be fruitful and multiply"
(and do it yourself)
Don't wait around for Wiard (or any manufacturer) to release your dream machine. Study the embarrassment of riches on the web, grab a breadboard and.....
...and when you're done, think long and hard about publishing your work. Pay it forward to the next generation. In this area i declare that he -totally- led by example.

*In this pantheon, i include Bernie Hutchins, Ian Fritz, Ken Stone, Jurgen Haible, PAiA (Scott Lee & the late John Simonton) Harry Bissell, Rene Schmitz, & Scott Stites. There are many others, of course, but these are the guys i found who just give till it hurts!
I am in your debt.

Thank you so much for these links.

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Yes, VERY interested in his neuron circuit. Sadly, I'm not too knowledgeable about circuit building over here... I either need to find a builder for hire or somehow find a whole lot of time to get into that.

freeyerheel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by freeyerheel » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:18 am

amen! im in the process of reading bernie hutchins elecronotes, its a nominal fee for what research and years of labor that have gone into those and alot are offered for free on his site, but your right these are the heros for me as well, people who are genuinely excited about what they do and want others to "catch a fire" its great, they are also very readable alot like reading "there are no electrons" really down to earth and confidence building. eric barbor recommended both elecronotes and there are no elecrons he seems to be of the same spirit himself, anyhow my hats off to these characters as well!!! and to all the people who've contributed to elecronotes amazing archive!! groovy dudes indeed!

n.d
Learning to Wiggle

Post by n.d » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:20 am

Raise the Dead!

http://synthacks.blogspot.com/2017/08/blog-post_21.html

Experimental hardware neuron layout.
You know, that line that goes: "i want things that go Whooa and diuungg", like that nice man said to Bob Moog. That´s what I want too.

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:12 pm

Say more about this experimental hardware design :)

vladosh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vladosh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:05 am

hi plord ,i designed that pcb layout ,it's working as it is ,if anyone wants to make this i can upload the bare pcb pics so you could make your own hardwaare neurons ..the pcb layout is for 4 neurons ,only thing is to take care of the start/stop switch ..the 555 needs to stop with switch connected to groound instead of +V ,the reset needs +V ,i am also planning to make for my synth varilogic II ,so i'll upload a pcb layout for that one too

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:00 pm

Nice patterns in that blog post. Would like to see this built.
(Sounds)--> :eek:
Misconstrued comments taken out of context may offend some readers

vladosh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vladosh » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks ,here is it's panel ,just paper sticker there ,only later i started printing directly on aluminum

vladosh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vladosh » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:12 am

this beat is done with experimental neurons module + hip bass drum , 808 tom ,nlc bong0 and something else there i guess https://soundcloud.com/r25990127/avgust-31-2018

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:18 pm

that's nice. I'd love someone to do a batch of these modules.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

sabasan
Common Wiggler

Post by sabasan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:31 am

or just some pcb's .....

vladosh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vladosh » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:13 am

:despair:
Last edited by vladosh on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

vladosh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vladosh » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:26 am

if anyone wants to ..i can make one for you , just that this module requires depth and 15V PSU

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:39 pm

i would get in on a pcb run if possible, depth and 15v no problem.

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:50 am

chachi wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:39 pm
i would get in on a pcb run if possible, depth and 15v no problem.
me as well.
frac & 100m & eurorack (equal opportunities wiggler)
-----------------------------------------------
:blacet: :blacet: fracmodular.github.io :blacet: :blacet:

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:54 pm

I’m interested

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:02 am

Me too!