MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Simple Quiz About Chords
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Simple Quiz About Chords
solarmodulars
Well I was catching my wondering mind on theory or lack of it actually (waiting vco) about regarding notes and mainly chords... for example using one standard eurorack vco (z3k) with tracking and some midi keyboard - can I play chords?

woah
dude
short answer no. long answer, anything is possible with creative patching. you can create the illusion of chords with a single vco. modulars aren't the easiest place for polyphony.
qu.one
simple answer, no. not with only one VCO.

you would need multiple VCOs, EGs, VCAs, etc and a polyphonic midi/cv converter.
James
You could sorrrt of cheat this if you played very fast arpeggios with a long, heavy reverb to mask the decays of each note, but I don't know how convincing it would sound.
weinglas
Z3000 into Doepfer A113 gives you chords!
dkcg
anything into the Res-4 will give you chords, even noise. hihi

Might be a pain to tune tho w/o any fine tuning controls built in.
solarmodulars
Omg I cant play chords... quite sad I already scared that and knew that will be the case. Mainly when reading tiptop manual. More Vco's more chords? What about regular common synths with 2 vco, what makes them play chords?

polyphonic midi/cv converter... hmm is there defined simple methods patching vcos to play chords... overall I get bit sad.

Well I must get more vco's and A-113.

Thanks
waah
CursedFrogurt
solarmodulars wrote:
Omg I cant play chords... quite sad I already scared that and knew that will be the case. Mainly when reading tiptop manual. More Vco's more chords? What about regular common synths with 2 vco, what makes them play chords?

polyphonic midi/cv converter... hmm is there defined simple methods patching vcos to play chords... overall I get bit sad.

Well I must get more vco's and A-113.

Thanks
waah

2vco's *per voice* my friend. It's all in the fine print. Void where prohibited. May cause anal seepage.
PhineasFreak
if you're working with a genre like dub-techno, old detroit minimal or early new-york discoy house where there is often a call for all the chords used to be consistently of the same triad (generally due to having been samples and hence only the whole chord could be shifted in pitch, not separate notes), then you can use three VCOs tuned to a particular chord all triggered from the same note cv source and then run through the same set of EGs, VCAs and filters.

to expand slightly on that, i am shortly to have a second midi/cv converter and i plan to run two or three VCOs of one note source whilst another VCO or pair is controlled separately so allowing some harmonics or slightly more subtle variations such as sevenths and 9ths etc. this can make some very rich sounding tones when filtered cleverly so that the resulting output is more like a fuller sounding single note rather than polyphonic chords...

also, it's worth trying a drone (therefore can be achieved w/o needing an extra midi/cv or sequencer source) with a cunningly tuned pair or triad of VCOs over the top to provide the illusion of shifting chords/harmonies when there's not actually full polyphony occurring!

qu.one wrote:
you would need multiple VCOs, EGs, VCAs, etc and a polyphonic midi/cv converter.
solarmodulars
hihi thanks Phineas for painting illustrative picture! And yes I work in these areas as well. It seems that this will be wonderful seek & hide show. Very helpful inputs from all.

w00t w00t w00t
qu.one
PhineasFreak wrote:
if you're working with a genre like dub-techno, old detroit minimal or early new-york discoy house where there is often a call for all the chords used to be consistently of the same triad (generally due to having been samples and hence only the whole chord could be shifted in pitch, not separate notes), then you can use three VCOs tuned to a particular chord all triggered from the same note cv source and then run through the same set of EGs, VCAs and filters.

to expand slightly on that, i am shortly to have a second midi/cv converter and i plan to run two or three VCOs of one note source whilst another VCO or pair is controlled separately so allowing some harmonics or slightly more subtle variations such as sevenths and 9ths etc. this can make some very rich sounding tones when filtered cleverly so that the resulting output is more like a fuller sounding single note rather than polyphonic chords...

also, it's worth trying a drone (therefore can be achieved w/o needing an extra midi/cv or sequencer source) with a cunningly tuned pair or triad of VCOs over the top to provide the illusion of shifting chords/harmonies when there's not actually full polyphony occurring!

you can definitely cheat by having a static chord, once your VCOs are all tuned to their respective parts, sharing the same filter and modulators - but that didn't seem like what he was asking.

i have an old Roland MPU-101 and it works perfect for having a voice poly patch. you can achieve similar results with a Kenton Pro-2000.

you also don't technically need multiple EGs and VCAs if you mix them down and run them into one filter/VCA and modulate that with one envelope. I was merely trying to explain for full voice control, you might want dedicated controls for each VCO.

solarmodulars
qu.one brilliant just brilliant stuff... can't wait anymore to get things brewing... we're not worthy we're not worthy I am 200% more confident now.

Yes, have been checking Kenton stuff, this Kenton Pro SOLO Mk2 is cheaper with less features but what about eurorack module from Kenton?
Synthasonic
solarmodulars wrote:
qu.one brilliant just brilliant stuff... can't wait anymore to get things brewing... we're not worthy we're not worthy I am 200% more confident now.

Yes, have been checking Kenton stuff, this Kenton Pro SOLO Mk2 is cheaper with less features but what about eurorack module from Kenton?

If you are ever thinking about getting chords out of your modular, you may want to check out the Encore Expressionist... it allows up to 8-note polyphony... if you have the VCOs, VCF's, EGs, and mixer to support it. It's a damn expensive way to get a polyphonic synth, but I've used it from time to time to get 3-4 note chords with good results. (It's not uncommon to have 3-4 VCOs and even more EGs in a typical modular, and I happen to manufacture filters, so I usually have enough copies of the same filter sitting around to pull this trick off!)
solarmodulars
Good, twisted manufacturing filters in modular house of chord with never ending sequence. a dream really.

Yes, Encore Expressionist sounds full on & pricey indeed.
Synthasonic
Expressionists pop up used from time to time and they're not so pricey. They tend to be in good shape used too, because after all... who buys an $800 piece of gear and trashes it? I got mine for $420 used.
lorenzovektor
You need 3 oscillators to make a chord, all tuned at the appropriate intervals, this will be more of a stab though.
weinglas
Take a look at this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35112&highlight=
solarmodulars
weinglas wrote:
Take a look at this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35112&highlight=

Yes i did and it's awesome twisted

But got some tips from here to try out first! thumbs up More modules needed also smile and it's still pretty complex to lure out chords i guess n maintain them and so on... time will tell.
funkymonk919
Odds are I'm wrong, however maybe running the amp out to an EHX HOG or POG (haven't used either in quite some time) could do the trick? I haven't tried this so I'm not sure but it may work hmmm.....
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
You can also play different chords from the keyboard using an analog shift register and four VCOs. Control one VCO from the keyboard CV, and the other three with the three outputs of the ASR (I'm referring specifically to the Ken Stone CGS variety, which I recently redesigned). Control the ASR clock with the keyboard trigger. You can mix all four VCOs into the same VCF/VCA, gated from the keyboard.

Actually, with this technique what you are actually getting are arpeggios, but if you roll the chords fast enough, you can create the illusion of chords. Also, the last four notes you played continue to sound using this method, so it is best to roll the chords pretty fast, or use a slow attack on the envelope to delay the sounding of the chords after the beginning of the gate signal. However, with a bit of practice, you can almost convince yourself that you're actually playing chords this way.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1