MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How much do I trust the waveform?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author How much do I trust the waveform?
insomniyack
So I'm working on an ambient piece and I throw it into Audacity just to see the waveform and it's little. So I use the amplify tool and it needs like a 6dB increase to bring it to zero. This can't be good so I go back to the song and turn up the 3 sounds I'm using to as loud as I can get them before they're just too loud and I still need a boost of like 4-5dB to get it to zero!!

Now like I said it's an ambient piece so it doesn't have to be super loud but I still don't want to make people have to turn up their volume when it comes on.

How much should I trust the waveform? It seems decently loud but the waveform is telling me different...now keep in mind I will be sending the track away for mastering so that should bump my overall volume but I don't want it too weak!

I thought about adding more elements to boost my volume but I really hate to do that cause it's supposed to be minimal...ugh this is frustrating!

Are other people's ambient small waveforms too??
insomniyack
So a question for you...

Can a sound be loud and not show it on the waveform?
Babaluma
check out all the info i gave on correct gain staging/digital recording levels in this thread recently:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30794

and the short answer is to ALWAYS TRUST YOUR EARS and NEVER LOOK AT THE WAVEFORM!!!

if you're using 24 bit then don't worry too much about it "looking" too quiet.

having peaks at -6dBfs is REALLY NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER!!!

please study some more, and then ask away later if desired, i'd be happy to help where i can.
Bambam
Babaluma wrote:

and the short answer is to ALWAYS TRUST YOUR EARS and NEVER LOOK AT THE WAVEFORM!!!

applause

Big +1 Babaluma. Totally right. Always trust your ears over your eyes. Because your eyes can't hear, can they?

Remember, if your work is quality, the listener will turn it up for you. SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1