MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Need help with a melody
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Need help with a melody
insomniyack
First off let me say I bought a book on music theory and will read it once it comes...lol

Ok so I am not sure if the sound I'm using is out of tune or whether I'm playing the wrong notes.

--------------------------------------------------------
I'm using the MPC2000 so it shows the notes as this:

C.4 and A.1 (Played at the same time)
B.3
G.3 and F.1 (Played at the same time)

Now my question is are those notes melodically in sync or am I playing the wrong notes? I need to keep C.4, B.3, and G.3 cause those are the main melody. Also what note would be close to A.1 and F.1 that would match B.3?

Like I said I have a music theory book in the mail so sorry for my stupidity!! I just want it to sound right and I'm not sure if I'm hitting the wrong notes or whether the sound is just out of tune or too much slow vibrato on it.

Thanks alot guys!!
Just me
Screw the book. Play what sounds good to you.
modularland
Assuming you are thinking in the key of C,

C and A is a 6th chord: C D E F G A
B is a 7th interval from C
F and G is an interval of a "2nd" which is typically atonal for most people...

does it sound good?

insomniyack wrote:
First off let me say I bought a book on music theory and will read it once it comes...lol

Ok so I am not sure if the sound I'm using is out of tune or whether I'm playing the wrong notes.

--------------------------------------------------------
I'm using the MPC2000 so it shows the notes as this:

C.4 and A.1 (Played at the same time)
B.3
G.3 and F.1 (Played at the same time)

Now my question is are those notes melodically in sync or am I playing the wrong notes? I need to keep C.4, B.3, and G.3 cause those are the main melody. Also what note would be close to A.1 and F.1 that would match B.3?

Like I said I have a music theory book in the mail so sorry for my stupidity!! I just want it to sound right and I'm not sure if I'm hitting the wrong notes or whether the sound is just out of tune or too much slow vibrato on it.

Thanks alot guys!!
insomniyack
I'm still confused...I know atonal is bad though lol

If you were playing those three descending notes what lower notes would you hold to play the bassline?
modularland
due sit down at a piano and work out the melody your ears like, then just play the same on a synth...
insomniyack
I've done that and to ME it sounds alright but when I listen to it looping over and over it just seems like I didn't hit the right low note when I play the last G note (kinda like it's clashing) but any other note I play doesn't sound right either.

Are these notes atonal? C.4 and A.1 (Played at the same time) and B.3 and A.1 played at the same time.
Johnisfaster
You're thinking too much, if you think too much anything will start to sound bad. Just ask yourself "do I like how this sounds?" if you don't, change it, if you do, then it doesn't matter if it makes sense.
insomniyack
I think my issue might be the sound I'm using...it has a slow vibrato which in turn makes it sound good sometimes and not other times but if you're telling me those notes are atonal I should probably play a different note...I want it to be musically correct.
Just me
Anything is musically correct in it's given context. I play plenty of stuff a half step apart and use the atonality. Dissonance is very important as a counterpoint.
insomniyack
Yeah and I get that...

I'm just worried the melody (which loops over and over) won't sound right and it'll sound out of tune over and over again and if I can fix it now it'd be perfect.
insomniyack
Nothing I play matches G.3 so it must be the sound is out of tune or that part of the melody just needs deleted.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1