MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

bit rate conversion for vinyl masters question!?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author bit rate conversion for vinyl masters question!?
YONI
Anyone see any problem in converting my 16 bit masters to 24 bit in soundforge? We had masters for vinyl made but they changed their mind about where to get it pressed, luckily the only difference in their mastering specs is that are asking for 24bit. Opinions??? I'm clueless when it comes to mastering...
help
ignatius
should be fine. upsampling is not a problem. it's when you sample convert from high to low when you need to have some good sample rate conversion and dithering algorithms..

so, i wouldn't worry about it. but that's me.
YONI
that's what i'd hoped. thanks!!
cyklopljud
Hej Yoni,
Did they tell you why they wouldn't take the original 16bit file?
I ask because if you up sample a 16bit file it will not add extra information other than those imaginary 8 bits from the ether.
I guess I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to the "magic" of mastering.

You could remix your stems to 24bit, it would make a sonic difference, more head room and the like, more volume is not always so good for a vinyl master cut though.

O.
YONI
hmmm. actually looking again they just said it's preferred.. Hang on I'm not sure I understand... would the upsample increase the volume? I don't want any change in volume....I think it would be better for them to have the odbVU master as is then.
Yikes.
bint
YONI wrote:
hmmm. actually looking again they just said it's preferred.. Hang on I'm not sure I understand... would the upsample increase the volume? I don't want any change in volume....I think it would be better for them to have the odbVU master as is then.
Yikes.

it won't affect the volume. used the Bit-Depth converter on the Process menu. it's not up-sampling btw as the sample-rate remains the same smile
bint
where are you getting it pressed btw?
ignatius
YONI wrote:
Yikes.

no.. won't change anything. he was saying if you remix our track after upsampling the individual tracks w/in your song then you might get some more headroom etc..

but not to worry. your finished mixes will sound just the same as now if you convert to 24 bit.
YONI
Ahh okay I get that now.

looks like vinyl factory now. was gonna be zenith- this is a decision made by the guy who is putting it out, I think it has something to do with turnaround times. So we got it mastered for Zenith's specs, but it seems that Vinly Factory actually ask for the same thing as Zenith anyays .I'm a bit nervous to start with as we are Jammin 5mins a side onto each side of a 45 rpm 7".
mojopin
If your masters are 16bit then there is no advantage to convert to 24bit. And the will have no issue working with the 16bit file. You will just add zeroes to the file. I wouldn't mess with it.
cyklopljud
YONI wrote:
Yikes.

Woops, sorry to scare you, up sampling wont change your overall volumes.
(24bit can give you more headroom to remix stems louder if need be)
I was just ranting a bit about mastering houses and their so called secret spices.

Good luck with the master and the pressing.
O.
YONI
GOOD NEWS! they are getting 16bit files then. thanks for your tips. Much appreciated. Now fingers crossed they don't fuck anything up like I keep hearing... very frustrating Can't wait for the launch - playing with our pals Bum Creek at Good God - excellent new sydney club in an old spanish restaurant.
Babaluma
hope the release all goes well. i don't know of any mastering houses that would REQUIRE 24 bit, PREFER is another matter!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1