MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY panels and PCBs that source all parts from mouser
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author DIY panels and PCBs that source all parts from mouser
maxplower
Pretty sick of scouting out 3-5 components from 5 different suppliers only to get to the last one on the list and see that I can't find it anywhere or have to spend $50 postage.

What are some builds that you can source pretty much all of the components from Mouser or tayda or just one supplier directly?
Noodle Twister
A lot of Frequency central DIY modules are mostly a Tayda order.

I avoid mouser if I can because there's a £14 charge added to my order.

Yes the charge does cover any import tax but I tend to use Tayda and ebay and keep the cost of the order low.

Frequency Central link
SyndieBot2000XL
All of the Barton Musical Circuits modules I’ve built have parts lists that can be sourced entirely from tayda, except for pots, and that is only for a few of his earlier designs; some early digital modules use alpha pots RV120F-20-15F- B100K which I had to order from Jameco (which turned out ok because they have a dip ic leg straightener tool that *changed my life*). The projects of his that don’t use those pots use the bog standard 50 cent alpha pots from tayda.

AI Synthesis modules have BoMs that can be sourced from Tayda, again, minus the pots (although sometimes you get lucky). Modular Addict are pretty good about stocking the different weird values of alpha and tall trimmer style snap-in pots, although I have had to order from Thonk or Small Bear when they were out of like b10ks or something.

PMFoundations modules can be sourced entirely from Mouser, although you’ll save tons if you buy all the passives and jacks from tayda and just get the weird stuff (switches, switch caps, couple of weird passives [wima etc]) from mouser. He actually provides mouser carts on his site which felt a bit like cheating honestly.

Zlob and Void modular both have multichannel VCAs that you can build out entirely from mouser and tayda orders - again depending on potentiometer stocks. That seems to be the running theme.

In my (admittedly narrow) experience the hardest parts to source are sub-miniature toggle switches (I ended up going to eBay for these, not paying $3 each for 10, 20+ switches, that is frankly insane), polystyrene capacitors (also eBay), and tempcos (MA, Thonk). I tend to avoid projects with deprecated ICs that don’t have drop in modern replacements tho, that seems to be a whole different can of worms.
devinw1
My new dual Vco (2VL1) you can get everything from mouser except pots, knobs, and tempcos, which you can get from thonk or modular addict. Mouser pns are all entered for easy BOM upload and ordering.

Btw I intend for all my builds to be like this in the future. SlayerBadger!
abelovesfun
All of the AI modules can have their parts either sourced by Tayda or by me.
latigid on
midiphy stuff is two packages e.g. https://www.midiphy.com/en/shop-details/137/47/midibox-seq-v4-lh-full- essential-kit- . You buy a set of PCBs and essential parts (basically everything not available at Mouser) and one order from Mouser.

The PCBs/kits have an aggregate BOM module that sums the part quantities across multiple boards. You copy&paste a text list into their import tool and you have everything. This is nicer to maintain than a Mouser shopping cart/project as I can edit the master data and make global changes on our end.

mskala
I recommend getting a full kit, and not only because I sell some myself. This is what they're for. PCB-and-panel means extra work and if you don't want to do that work, it is not the product for you.
SyndieBot2000XL
mskala wrote:
I recommend getting a full kit, and not only because I sell some myself. This is what they're for. PCB-and-panel means extra work and if you don't want to do that work, it is not the product for you.

As someone who *is* willing to do that work, I wish you offered bare pcb and panel sets. Your modules look super interesting but I have a good stock of parts that I hope to use someday.

Also, I kind of enjoy the slow-motion challenge of having parts and pcb/panel arrive at my door close to the same time with all the parts required and paying as little as possible. I imagine it’s similar to the feeling extreme couponers experience. Makes up for the lows like when you discover you’ve ordered one wrong part or you thought you had stock that you in fact do not have and so that thing you thought you could build cannot actually be built. The sweetest fruit is at the top of the tree, they say...
synthetek
Even projects that come out with a mouser cart with all the parts seem to have something go out of stock within a few weeks and then people are complaining that mouser is out of 10K resistors hihi But seriously with things going EOL and stock fluctuating and shortages its not realistic to be able to get everything in one place unless its something really basic. Buy a full kit or start stocking up on the common parts so that you don't have to order parts as often.
maxplower
SyndieBot2000XL wrote:
mskala wrote:

As someone who *is* willing to do that work, I wish you offered bare pcb and panel sets. Your modules look super interesting but I have a good stock of parts that I hope to use someday.

Also, I kind of enjoy the slow-motion challenge of having parts and pcb/panel arrive at my door close to the same time with all the parts required and paying as little as possible. I imagine it’s similar to the feeling extreme couponers experience. Makes up for the lows like when you discover you’ve ordered one wrong part or you thought you had stock that you in fact do not have and so that thing you thought you could build cannot actually be built. The sweetest fruit is at the top of the tree, they say...

But the issue I am experiencing is that I lose money just on postage coming from 3 different suppliers...
synthetek
maxplower wrote:

But the issue I am experiencing is that I lose money just on postage coming from 3 different suppliers...

Stock up on parts and combine projects and order for several at once. There are even price brakes at mouser & Digi key where it sometimes costs less to order 10 pieces of a part than it is to buy 2 or 100 resistors is less than buying 25 etc... Sourcing parts is a skill on its own.
SyndieBot2000XL
maxplower wrote:

Carefully planning your builds is how you win this “game”. You can hugely stack the game in your favor by planning. If you spread out the cost of shipping one order across multiple (I’ve found five to be a good number) projects it takes much of the sting out of shipping costs. Also you’ll have more flexibility to hit those price breaks synthetek mentioned.

Also, be aware that sometimes in this game you simply lose and have to eat the costs. Sometimes Murphy’s law rules the field and there’s nothing for it. If you are doing it right you’ll still come in *way* under the cost of buying full kits. As with most games, it wouldn’t be fun if you always win.
Flounderguts
SyndieBot2000XL wrote:

Also, I kind of enjoy the slow-motion challenge of having parts and pcb/panel arrive at my door close to the same time with all the parts required and paying as little as possible.

Hear hear!

I love starting new project and going through my inventory, only to find that I need only one or two parts. Then I throw them in whatever cart I have going, and put the project on the shelf. A month later, when I finally order the stuff (since I hate shipping charges, too) I'm overjoyed to find I have all the parts for a complete while I wait to find the parts I forgot for ANOTHER project.

It's all part of the fun, and why I have 2-10 pieces on the go at any one time. Also because my mods are always so ambitious...

Flounderguts
abelovesfun
If it helps, here is my take on ordering, storing, and sourcing parts:
maxplower
Quote:
Stock up on parts and combine projects and order for several at once. There are even price brakes at mouser & Digi key where it sometimes costs less to order 10 pieces of a part than it is to buy 2 or 100 resistors is less than buying 25 etc... Sourcing parts is a skill on its own.

Good tip. I think I should be just ordering 5 or more DIY panels and pcbs then doing a bulk part order for them all.

abelovesfun wrote:
If it helps, here is my take on ordering, storing, and sourcing parts:

This is awesome! Its a little less daunting when you think about building a collection and ordering more DIY at once. Just even the suggestion to print out the BOM and filling in comments is going to make my life easier for tracking when a part is in stock or not.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1