MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[CLOSED] Group Buy: Mannequins RIP, Cinemag transformers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author [CLOSED] Group Buy: Mannequins RIP, Cinemag transformers
Hovercraft
I'm running a group buy (US/CA) for all the components needed to build a Mannequins RIP eurorack module.

https://www.whimsicalraps.com/pages/rip

RIP is a passive, stereo, transformer-based DI module that can be used to output balanced line-level signals from modular level inputs (or mic-level from line level). The Cinemag transformers used in the module saturate nicely, and can be overdriven by DC offsetting the input signals. The circuit includes a ground lift switch.

The module is no longer sold commercially, and the project was recently open-sourced by the maker--Whimsical Raps.

https://github.com/whimsicalraps/RIP_DIY

The Cinemag CM-DBX transformers are much less expensive when ordered in large quantities. Even if you don't want to build a eurorack RIP module, you can build the simple circuit into a case or in any module format.

The current estimate for the cost of each transformer is $48 if we can order at least 50. That includes the price of the transformer, plus paypal or credit cards fee for our payment to Cinemag, plus a guess at the shipping cost for the transformers to be shipped to me. The shipping + insurance to each US buyer via USPS priority Mail, would be extra. The lead time on the order is approximately 6 weeks.

I’m also taking group orders for the PCB’s, a PCB front panel, and the 7 other parts it takes for the build. It's cheapest and easiest for builders to get everything in one box. The parts will all easily fit in a small USPS Priority Mail box, so we can save some money, and be kinder to the environment. The kit is super easy build with a small number of parts.

There are options to buy everything, transformers only, pcb/panel set only–or any combination of those options.

My estimate for a complete parts package is:

Cinemag CM-DBX transformers $48 ea X 2 = $96
PCBs/Panel set - $18
Parts - $12

Full kit - $126 + shipping (estimated cost)

Once we get enough orders, I'll confirm pricing, and request payment. The order form is at:

https://forms.gle/frdGKdX6MYKhTYRq8

Thanks!
electricanada
Very nice; hope it flies!
Hovercraft
electricanada wrote:
Very nice; hope it flies!


Thanks! We're off to a good start.
EATyourGUITAR
put me down for a full kit but it depends on when it closes if I still have money to spend.
Hovercraft
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
put me down for a full kit but it depends on when it closes if I still have money to spend.


Will do! Orders will close Saturday, August 31. You can also PayPal me now If you prefer. Thanks.
EATyourGUITAR
I noticed you are ordering black and gold panels. I would suggest you just use PCBcart.com matte black with white silkscreen HASL plating around the mounting holes and jack holes. I selected them and other eurorack manufacturers have selected them for having %99 perfect white silk screen on panels. this has been tested in the real world over years and through different people. no one else gets the silkscreen right. you will have a small up charge of +$10 for the entire order for matte black conformal coating but you will save money by using HASL instead of ENIG gold.
Hovercraft
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
I noticed you are ordering black and gold panels. I would suggest you just use PCBcart.com matte black with white silkscreen HASL plating around the mounting holes and jack holes. I selected them and other eurorack manufacturers have selected them for having %99 perfect white silk screen on panels. this has been tested in the real world over years and through different people. no one else gets the silkscreen right. you will have a small up charge of +$10 for the entire order for matte black conformal coating but you will save money by using HASL instead of ENIG gold.


Thanks for the tips! This is the first time I'm ordering PCBs, so it's all new to me. Are you suggesting I skip the gold lettering and graphics, and put it all on the silkscreen layer to save money? I was thinking the gold and matte black scheme looks nice--but you're right--it does add to the cost. Hopefully we'll get enough folks in the buy to keep the costs down. Have you used Eagle for PCBs and front panels?
EATyourGUITAR
yes I have been doing this in eagle for years with PCBcart.com I only use them for PCB panels. I get regular green PCB from PCBway.com I was getting prototypes and production from itead for many years but they have made a lot of mistakes that cost me $$$. I am switching back to OSHpark for prototypes but I am keeping PCBway and PCBcart for production 400 units per order. I use the white text in the silkscreen layer over matte black conformal coating (solder mask) for panels.

Hovercraft
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
yes I have been doing this in eagle for years with PCBcart.com I only use them for PCB panels. I get regular green PCB from PCBway.com I was getting prototypes and production from itead for many years but they have made a lot of mistakes that cost me $$$. I am switching back to OSHpark for prototypes but I am keeping PCBway and PCBcart for production 400 units per order. I use the white text in the silkscreen layer over matte black conformal coating (solder mask) for panels.



Those panels look great. I'm thinking about using PCBWay for everything. I purposely designed the panel to be black and gold, and that's what everyone's expecting at this point, so I think I'm gonna roll with it for this order. I love the way Make Noise combines matte black, gold, white, and bare substrate in front of leds, on their panels.

If it's ok, may hit you up with a couple questions before I submit the order, to make sure I'm submitting the correct files. Thanks.
EATyourGUITAR
money sent cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group