[CLOSED] Group Buy: Mannequins RIP, Cinemag transformers

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

[CLOSED] Group Buy: Mannequins RIP, Cinemag transformers

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm running a group buy (US/CA) for all the components needed to build a Mannequins RIP eurorack module.

https://www.whimsicalraps.com/pages/rip

RIP is a passive, stereo, transformer-based DI module that can be used to output balanced line-level signals from modular level inputs (or mic-level from line level). The Cinemag transformers used in the module saturate nicely, and can be overdriven by DC offsetting the input signals. The circuit includes a ground lift switch.

The module is no longer sold commercially, and the project was recently open-sourced by the maker--Whimsical Raps.

https://github.com/whimsicalraps/RIP_DIY

The Cinemag CM-DBX transformers are much less expensive when ordered in large quantities. Even if you don't want to build a eurorack RIP module, you can build the simple circuit into a case or in any module format.

The current estimate for the cost of each transformer is $48 if we can order at least 50. That includes the price of the transformer, plus paypal or credit cards fee for our payment to Cinemag, plus a guess at the shipping cost for the transformers to be shipped to me. The shipping + insurance to each US buyer via USPS priority Mail, would be extra. The lead time on the order is approximately 6 weeks.

I’m also taking group orders for the PCB’s, a PCB front panel, and the 7 other parts it takes for the build. It's cheapest and easiest for builders to get everything in one box. The parts will all easily fit in a small USPS Priority Mail box, so we can save some money, and be kinder to the environment. The kit is super easy build with a small number of parts.

There are options to buy everything, transformers only, pcb/panel set only–or any combination of those options.

My estimate for a complete parts package is:

Cinemag CM-DBX transformers $48 ea X 2 = $96
PCBs/Panel set - $18
Parts - $12

Full kit - $126 + shipping (estimated cost)

Once we get enough orders, I'll confirm pricing, and request payment. The order form is at:

https://forms.gle/frdGKdX6MYKhTYRq8

Thanks!
Last edited by Hovercraft on Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Very nice; hope it flies!
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:11 pm

electricanada wrote:Very nice; hope it flies!
Thanks! We're off to a good start.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 pm

put me down for a full kit but it depends on when it closes if I still have money to spend.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:58 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:put me down for a full kit but it depends on when it closes if I still have money to spend.
Will do! Orders will close Saturday, August 31. You can also PayPal me now If you prefer. Thanks.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:40 pm

I noticed you are ordering black and gold panels. I would suggest you just use PCBcart.com matte black with white silkscreen HASL plating around the mounting holes and jack holes. I selected them and other eurorack manufacturers have selected them for having %99 perfect white silk screen on panels. this has been tested in the real world over years and through different people. no one else gets the silkscreen right. you will have a small up charge of +$10 for the entire order for matte black conformal coating but you will save money by using HASL instead of ENIG gold.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:12 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:I noticed you are ordering black and gold panels. I would suggest you just use PCBcart.com matte black with white silkscreen HASL plating around the mounting holes and jack holes. I selected them and other eurorack manufacturers have selected them for having %99 perfect white silk screen on panels. this has been tested in the real world over years and through different people. no one else gets the silkscreen right. you will have a small up charge of +$10 for the entire order for matte black conformal coating but you will save money by using HASL instead of ENIG gold.
Thanks for the tips! This is the first time I'm ordering PCBs, so it's all new to me. Are you suggesting I skip the gold lettering and graphics, and put it all on the silkscreen layer to save money? I was thinking the gold and matte black scheme looks nice--but you're right--it does add to the cost. Hopefully we'll get enough folks in the buy to keep the costs down. Have you used Eagle for PCBs and front panels?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:19 pm

yes I have been doing this in eagle for years with PCBcart.com I only use them for PCB panels. I get regular green PCB from PCBway.com I was getting prototypes and production from itead for many years but they have made a lot of mistakes that cost me $$$. I am switching back to OSHpark for prototypes but I am keeping PCBway and PCBcart for production 400 units per order. I use the white text in the silkscreen layer over matte black conformal coating (solder mask) for panels.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:55 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:yes I have been doing this in eagle for years with PCBcart.com I only use them for PCB panels. I get regular green PCB from PCBway.com I was getting prototypes and production from itead for many years but they have made a lot of mistakes that cost me $$$. I am switching back to OSHpark for prototypes but I am keeping PCBway and PCBcart for production 400 units per order. I use the white text in the silkscreen layer over matte black conformal coating (solder mask) for panels.
Those panels look great. I'm thinking about using PCBWay for everything. I purposely designed the panel to be black and gold, and that's what everyone's expecting at this point, so I think I'm gonna roll with it for this order. I love the way Make Noise combines matte black, gold, white, and bare substrate in front of leds, on their panels.

If it's ok, may hit you up with a couple questions before I submit the order, to make sure I'm submitting the correct files. Thanks.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:54 pm

money sent 8-)

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:31 pm

Any update on the timeline, Barry? Looking forward to this one!

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Me too! I have all the parts, but still waiting on the pcb’s and transformers. Now I know how modular companies feel, trying to get products out the door-haha. Once I have everything, I’ll hustle to get everyone’s order out super fast. Thanks for your patience.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: [CLOSED] Group Buy: Mannequins RIP, Cinemag transformers

Post by electricanada » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:24 pm

My parts came! Anyone build this yet? I could benefit from some photos. I’m not quite sure how it all fits together.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 pm

electricanada wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:24 pm
My parts came! Anyone build this yet? I could benefit from some photos. I’m not quite sure how it all fits together.
Build guide is at https://github.com/whimsicalraps/RIP_DI ... rip_diy.md

My advice is to loosely put the front panel on both assembled boards (using the nuts) BEFORE soldering the boards together with the back pins and tabs. Then you can remove the front panel, and solder the front pins/tabs. This way, you know the boards are oriented correctly with respect to the holes on the front panel.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 pm
electricanada wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:24 pm
Build guide is at https://github.com/whimsicalraps/RIP_DI ... rip_diy.md

My advice is to loosely put the front panel on both assembled boards (using the nuts) BEFORE soldering the boards together with the back pins and tabs. Then you can remove the front panel, and solder the front pins/tabs. This way, you know the boards are oriented correctly with respect to the holes on the front panel.
Aw thanks, that’s about as good as it gets. That last step looks like the only tricky part.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:56 pm

The transformers arrived. The pins were bent but that was an easy fix to bend it straight. Very happy with my purchase. Thank you for taking the time to organize this. I will have 4 PCB left over if I ever make a PCB. If there is anyone who has transformers but no PCB just PM me.

Aaumgn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Aaumgn » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:07 pm

if anyone wants (I really doubt haha) i can send it in high resolution or vector, i think i have to make some small adjustments in the size. all the best for everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”