RK6 Question

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, metasonix

Post Reply
User avatar
ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: new jersey

RK6 Question

Post by ritchiedrums » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:04 pm

Can the RK6 act as an individual drum like the RK4?

Thanx!!

User avatar
Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"
Posts: 1246
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:23 am
Location: Albany, New York

Post by Yes Powder » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:26 pm

As in: can you ping the audio-in with a trigger and have it ring out?
Yes, but the the range in which it'll ring is much narrower.
What you can do with it though is ping the Tuning CV In and get it to behave as an LPG. Or turn the resonance up and ping the Tuning CV to get a "laser tom" sound if you're into that.

User avatar
metasonix
Tube Pioneer
Posts: 4166
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Post by metasonix » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:06 pm

It's not really meant for that--won't oscillate at bass frequencies. It exists mostly because people want a lowpass filter that "kind-of-resonates", because they claim "it is a necessity in electronic music" blah blah.

As I've said before, we could make a ladder filter out of tubes; but it would be damn big and damn expensive. Almost no one would buy it.

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Post by elmerfudd » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Yeah, way to ostracize us almost no ones, dude. I am still hoping you have a mental breakdown and revisit the TS series. 10 years I've looked for a TS-23 and now you tease about a tube ladder......

User avatar
Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"
Posts: 1246
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:23 am
Location: Albany, New York

Post by Yes Powder » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:45 pm

elmerfudd wrote:I am still hoping you have a mental breakdown and revisit the TS series. 10 years I've looked for a TS-23…
Well that's kind of a mean thing to wish on someone.
You know you coulda gotten two R55s and been pretty much there. Also, the schematics for the TS series have been available on the web for a long time now.

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Post by elmerfudd » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:10 am

Not mean, a riff on a statement Eric made to me many years ago, the PT and TS stuff was an insane amount of work for very little return...and something like, I will never, ever make them again....
And my building days are over. The TS boxes were epic builds 3/16 phenolic board with machined turrets, oh and a real power supply.......

User avatar
metasonix
Tube Pioneer
Posts: 4166
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Post by metasonix » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:45 pm

elmerfudd wrote:the PT and TS stuff was an insane amount of work for very little return....
Even the RK modules are a lot of work. Metasonix does not make incredible margins on any of the products. Never has. A large amount of the handwork is done by me personally, and I'm not getting younger or more energetic, nor is my eyesight improving. But we still have to plunk out SOME kind of a new product, every year, or give up. The market is deeply saturated AND obsessed with a narrow range of products (MakeNoise/Mutable/Intellijel/Noise Eng and a few others) so it is difficult to keep sales up as an "outside brand". Even though we have been doing this for TWENTY YEARS as of this January.

I won't lecture you further because I've said all this before. We can only thank our fans and serious users for supporting Metasonix --- a company people still try to badmouth in private. Because we are "off the mainstream".

User avatar
Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"
Posts: 1246
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:23 am
Location: Albany, New York

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:50 pm

metasonix wrote:…we have been doing this for TWENTY YEARS as of this January.
I won't lecture you further because I've said all this before. We can only thank our fans and serious users for supporting Metasonix --- a company people still try to badmouth in private. Because we are "off the mainstream".
Said it multiple times before, but you're the reason I'm in Euro. Nothing against "the mainstream" but I'd take one Metasonix module over an entire row of MN/Mutable/whatever. Your products are unique and sound amazing, and fuck the haters!
If I ever meet you in person, I'll buy you drinks for the night! :beer: :drinking:

User avatar
luchog
Crazy Pony
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: The Emerald City

Post by luchog » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:34 am

Yes Powder wrote:
metasonix wrote:…we have been doing this for TWENTY YEARS as of this January.
I won't lecture you further because I've said all this before. We can only thank our fans and serious users for supporting Metasonix --- a company people still try to badmouth in private. Because we are "off the mainstream".
Said it multiple times before, but you're the reason I'm in Euro. Nothing against "the mainstream" but I'd take one Metasonix module over an entire row of MN/Mutable/whatever. Your products are unique and sound amazing, and fuck the haters!
If I ever meet you in person, I'll buy you drinks for the night! :beer: :drinking:
I'll echo this. And once I get all the bills from my recent house purchase and move paid off, I'm saving up for a D-2000, assuming they still exist by that point. If not, well, I'm sure I can find a way to hack something together with RK modules.

User avatar
Delepathy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: a distant memory
Contact:

Post by Delepathy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:03 pm

metasonix wrote:
elmerfudd wrote:the PT and TS stuff was an insane amount of work for very little return....
Even the RK modules are a lot of work. Metasonix does not make incredible margins on any of the products. Never has. A large amount of the handwork is done by me personally, and I'm not getting younger or more energetic, nor is my eyesight improving. But we still have to plunk out SOME kind of a new product, every year, or give up. The market is deeply saturated AND obsessed with a narrow range of products (MakeNoise/Mutable/Intellijel/Noise Eng and a few others) so it is difficult to keep sales up as an "outside brand". Even though we have been doing this for TWENTY YEARS as of this January.

I won't lecture you further because I've said all this before. We can only thank our fans and serious users for supporting Metasonix --- a company people still try to badmouth in private. Because we are "off the mainstream".
I do my best to spread word around about your modules on Facebook and Instagram. For whatever reason, it seems like there aren't very many people who know much about Metasonix. I see cases full of only or a mix of Mutable/Make Noise/Intellijel, etc. almost all the time on the Eurorack Synthesizers forum. It makes me cringe sometimes, not that I have anything against the companies. I just feel like the people using the modules should extend their arm to other lesser known companies to support. I don't really understand why some people only see the surface level of Eurorack and don't try to look deeper (considering the plethora of companies out there), but I hope creating that Metasonix Users Group has helped/helps with your sales. Like I've said before, I have immense respect for you and Kath. Once I'm legally able to drink (I'm 20), I will be happy to come down for a visit and buy you a few drinks and dinner/lunch.
Last edited by Delepathy on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
metasonix
Tube Pioneer
Posts: 4166
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Post by metasonix » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 pm

luchog wrote:And once I get all the bills from my recent house purchase and move paid off, I'm saving up for a D-2000, assuming they still exist by that point.
Stop worrying. It's probably safe for at least another couple of years. The 2000 does not sell very fast, but it's still the only tube drum machine on the market. Like to see Knif do that.

This whole business is absurd. Most Buchla modules sell for four figures and people rant and rave about their "magic". We charge $400 for a module and get incoherent attacks and death threats. It looks like the Moog One is going to sell a LOT in its first year--despite an endless parade of people abusing Moog for making "such a horribly expensive thing".

User avatar
luchog
Crazy Pony
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: The Emerald City

Post by luchog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:00 pm

metasonix wrote:
luchog wrote:And once I get all the bills from my recent house purchase and move paid off, I'm saving up for a D-2000, assuming they still exist by that point.
Stop worrying. It's probably safe for at least another couple of years. The 2000 does not sell very fast, but it's still the only tube drum machine on the market. Like to see Knif do that.

Good to hear, I doubt it will take that long to save up. I'm thinking on the order of 6-12 months. That includes picking up an RK or two in the meantime, RK6 is one of the next three modules I plan on purchasing.
This whole business is absurd. Most Buchla modules sell for four figures and people rant and rave about their "magic". We charge $400 for a module and get incoherent attacks and death threats. It looks like the Moog One is going to sell a LOT in its first year--despite an endless parade of people abusing Moog for making "such a horribly expensive thing".
Entitlement trolls have always been there, and always will be. They're a perennially annoying fact of life. Best one can do is learn to just tune them out, and hide their bodies effectively.

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Post by elmerfudd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:43 pm

" Even though we have been doing this for TWENTY YEARS as of this January.

I won't lecture you further because I've said all this before. We can only thank our fans and serious users for supporting Metasonix --- a company people still try to badmouth in private. Because we are "off the mainstream".

Fuck I'm old.....

User avatar
gringostar
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 pm
Location: The Nameless City

Post by gringostar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:10 pm

I'm probably dumb but isn't the S2000 basically 2 RK4's and an RK2, and if so is there any interest/plans on adding the RK6 in an update to it?

User avatar
metasonix
Tube Pioneer
Posts: 4166
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Post by metasonix » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:34 pm

gringostar wrote:I'm probably dumb but isn't the S2000 basically 2 RK4's and an RK2, and if so is there any interest/plans on adding the RK6 in an update to it?
It's actually two RK4s and a simple VCA. Plus three envelopes, a ribbon controller, power supplies etc. You really can't put a similar thing together from modules for the same price unless you DIY most of it.

And we weren't planning to make a new version.

I'd like to make a much better monosynth with at least three thyratron VCOs....but it will NOT be cheap, and I expect to be subjected to considerable abuse (while Knif sells every Knifonium he makes, for 16,000 bloody euros, and Hans Zimmer goes around raving about them, grumble grumble).

Trilo
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:40 pm

Post by Trilo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:40 pm

gringostar wrote: I'd like to make a much better monosynth with at least three thyratron VCOs....
For that three thyratron monosynth, could you add that ladder filter you were mentioning earlier?

:hide:

By "NOT cheap", what general price range are you thinking? Could kickstarter help?

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Post by elmerfudd » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Yeah Eric,
fuck the proletariat, FEED us bougies....3 osc, ladder filter, vca, 1/4 jacks.
Sign me up.....

User avatar
ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: new jersey

Post by ritchiedrums » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:46 pm

elmerfudd wrote:Yeah Eric,
fuck the proletariat, FEED us bougies....3 osc, ladder filter, vca, 1/4 jacks.
Sign me up.....
I am guessing $5k us :metasonix:

User avatar
gringostar
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 pm
Location: The Nameless City

Post by gringostar » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Sorry to shit up this thread again but does anyone have both the RK6 and RK5 to compare them as LPG?

Yes I know the RK5 is a dedicated LPG and the RK6 is a LPF but I'm interested in if there is a notable sonic difference between the two since the RK6 has control over resonance and if the RK6 can get the plucked bongo sounds that most LPG get.

User avatar
metasonix
Tube Pioneer
Posts: 4166
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Post by metasonix » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:51 pm

The RK6 is an RK5 circuit with resonance added and can be used as an LPG. Okay?

User avatar
gringostar
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 pm
Location: The Nameless City

Post by gringostar » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:06 pm

metasonix wrote:The RK6 is an RK5 circuit with resonance added and can be used as an LPG. Okay?
Exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks.

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2552
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Post by FatRocky » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:29 pm

i love the R series for the ergonomics ( i used to love more the TM , but i like the improved psu in the R and with the RKP power they shine) i don´t mind big modules .. I wish the R series to continue with new off the mainstream designs and aberrant sounds, yellow or grey i don´t mind . :agony:

Post Reply

Return to “Metasonix”