MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DAE Cut The Low End
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author DAE Cut The Low End
jackastro
I usually cut everything below 80hz. If it is a really spacious mix then I might go down to 60 or even 50. I find that it leaves a lot more room and I don't have to compress as much. Oddly enough, I find it makes the bass shake things a little more.

Does anybody else cut the low end?
suitandtieguy
LOL

i thought this thread was going to be about the Digidesign Audio Engine having a negative effect on bass response.

and, no ... of course not. well, that is yes. i HPF anything that might get into the bass except for bass, which _never_ gets HPFed.

i got into an argument with a close friend the other day because he cut the bass guitar at 65 hz or something. he claimed there was nothing but "mud" down there, and i had to explain to him that bass guitars go down to 32 hz, so this was bad. i got him to take it down to 20 hz and the track sounded _much_ better, almost as if it had "grown a pair" so to speak.
Babaluma
yep, same here, hpf nearly everything except for the bass and the kick. sometimes i will hpf one of them and not the other to get the track to work.

be careful with routinely putting a hpf on everything, as you sometimes loose warmth that way too.

stg, 5 string bass yes? i think a regular 4 string goes down to about 41Hz, low E.
authorless
Yes, nearly everything.
suitandtieguy
o my bad ... 32 hz is low C on a 16' pipe.
wyrtti
Babaluma wrote:

stg, 5 string bass yes? i think a regular 4 string goes down to about 41Hz, low E.

There are basses that DON'T have 5 strings??????? hmmm.....

Low B is 31 and decimals Hz. Love it! Rockin' Banana! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

And yes, HPFing tracks which don't need the low end is a good practice, but should always be listened in the context of the whole and not just done automatically.

As for bass, bass drum and bottom-heavy synths, sometimes one needs to carve out room for them. Ie. which do you want to hold the deepest bottom in a particular song, bass drum or bass or bass synth etc. Sometimes one takes out the lowest lows on the bass, sometimes bass drum, depending on the sound that is wanted.
JohnLRice
huh? I usually BOOST everything below 80hz! seriously, i just don't get it

Mr. Green
Pockets McCoy
JohnLRice wrote:

Mr. Green

hmmm..... I usually cut everything above 80hz...

I'm on the verge of the next big trend in popular music, too. Just you watch, in 5 years "red light music" is going to be all the rage: specifically designed for no purpose other than sticking a huge subwoofer in your trunk and jostling the brains of whoever you pull up alongside at a red light.

razz screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! Dead Banana
rezzn8r
Pockets McCoy wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Mr. Green

I'm on the verge of the next big trend in popular music, too. Just you watch, in 5 years "red light music" is going to be all the rage: specifically designed for no purpose other than sticking a huge subwoofer in your trunk and jostling the brains of whoever you pull up alongside at a red light.

lol
el clon
Pockets McCoy wrote:

dude... i'm stealin' that shit.... i'm gonna go make an album...
drewtoothpaste
There is a little dongle that people with bass cars have that outputs a random stream of bass notes. Some people hook this up to their bass cars instead of an actual stereo.

I don't remember any brand names or what they call this thing within the "community" but I've always imagined it to be similar to a Triadex Muse.
m0rb1d
Pockets McCoy wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Mr. Green

it has already been done, it's called sunn 0))
consumed
i definitely never cut the low end of an entire mix
but i do use HPFs in nearly every bass patch that comes out of the sampler.
yes it absoluately makes the bass bigger if programmed correctly.
tuj
I use a 7720 that has a highpass on the *detection* circuit for the compressor. Works great at preserving bass while compressing the mix.
Babaluma
i do the the same when i'm mastering with my chandler germ comps. they have a switchable side chain: out, 30, 60, 90, 150 or 300 Hz. let you keep the bass nice and fat while the comp only triggers on the mid and top.
rico loverde
I tend to treat each sound individually, cut the freq that are wasting space, it all depends on the mix for me. In doing that, yes I do sometimes cut the lower frequencies but never below 60 hz, I also try to spend a lot of time carving out space with the kick and bass. On bass tracks I always cut out the highs.

The musical pitch relation chart in Bob Katz "Mastering Audio" is a lot of help displaying what instruments fall in what frequency range. Actually this book in general is great.

rico
Johnisfaster
believe it or not sometimes you can even cut lows off of something thats seemingly a low end instrument.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1