MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Reproducing classic synth sounds from the 70's
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Reproducing classic synth sounds from the 70's
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I thought it might be fun to start a thread on cool sounds (from the 70's mostly) and how people might go about getting them.

Anybody?

Ok, I'll start.

Lately, I've been really getting into early Chicago (again). There isn't much synth in it, actually (lot's of funky horns, though!), but today I came across this cool song from Chicago VII while commuting called "Italian in New York" (snippet can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001246DYU/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk4
). It starts out with this synth thing which almost sounds like S&H, but it's more complicated than that. Different things happen on each clock tick -- not just different pitches, but sometimes there's silence, or a sudden fall or rise, or even a wobble.

If anybody has an idea of how to get this sound, I'd like to hear about it (or, better yet, hear it). I was thinking about it in the car, and I thought maybe the S&H (sampling noise) is applied to the Expo FM of a VCO, and this VCO (sine output, maybe) is used to modulate a second VCO (Linear or Expo FM, I'm not sure which), and this second VCO is what we hear. I'd love to try it, but my modular is in pieces at the moment after I ripped all the power connectors out, and I've only replaced about half of them (I've been out of town).

Anyway, if anybody has any other cool "pet sounds" they'd like to discuss (I have quite a few more, but I'll save 'em for later), maybe it could be like a contest, to see who can come the closest to the original sound.

Who knows? It could be fun.
Moog$FooL$
seriously, i just don't get it
Moog$FooL$
hhmmm.... i'm worried u may have sent a large amount of folks running away by mentioning that legendary synth outfit known as Chicago. lol

perhaps u might move onto another example Doc.???
Bricks
For me, Space Echo = insta-70s.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
hhmmm.... i'm worried u may have sent a large amount of folks running away by mentioning that legendary synth outfit known as Chicago. lol

Don't make me come over there, you young whippersnapper...

Notwithstanding the fact that (early) Chicago rocks, it's the synth sound in the song that I'm interested in. Can anyone emulate it?
Moog$FooL$
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Moog$FooL$ wrote:

Don't make me come over there, you young whippersnapper...

Notwithstanding the fact that (early) Chicago rocks, it's the synth sound in the song that I'm interested in. Can anyone emulate it?

a bit of a bump for the Doc., i think he's busy working on that MS-20 clone right now. hmmm.....

anyways, perhaps i'll actually hunt down some early Chicago.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
No takers? Too cool for Chicago, eh? OK. Here's another one which has been puzzling me:

Tangerine Dream, Rubycon.

How do they add/remove notes from the sequences without having silent gaps? I was not aware that 70s era sequencers had that capability. If you turned off a note, I figured you just got a dead space.
spinach_pizza
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

How do they add/remove notes from the sequences without having silent gaps? I was not aware that 70s era sequencers had that capability. If you turned off a note, I figured you just got a dead space.

The skip feature on the Moog 960 does that.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Hmmm. I don't think the sequencer I'm contemplating building for myself (the MFOS 16-step) does that. However, it has gate on/off switches. I suppose one could add "skip" to "on" and "off", but since the sequencer is driven from a 4-bit counter, it might be a bit challenging.
Just me
I blew my MFOS up on the bench and haven't fixed it yet or I'd let you know. (I decided to order the new PCB and eliminate all the kludges to the digital board. Just got to collect all the components to repopulate it.)
darenager
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

If anybody has an idea of how to get this sound, I'd like to hear about it (or, better yet, hear it). I was thinking about it in the car, and I thought maybe the S&H (sampling noise) is applied to the Expo FM of a VCO, and this VCO (sine output, maybe) is used to modulate a second VCO (Linear or Expo FM, I'm not sure which), and this second VCO is what we hear.

I clicked the link before reading your post in its entirety, and was going to suggest exactly what you already guessed at, so give it a try when you are back with your modular.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
darenager wrote:
I clicked the link before reading your post in its entirety, and was going to suggest exactly what you already guessed at, so give it a try when you are back with your modular.

Great minds think alike! I'm not sure whether I want to reapply power to my second modular cabinet (which has the ASR I'll use as a S&H) tonight or panelize my new "2164 Korgasmatron VCF" dual Korg MS-20 filter clone based on the SSM2164 quad VCA (think two MOTM 420s in a single package for about 1/4 the cost)!!! Rockin' Banana! nanners Rockin' Banana! nanners Rockin' Banana!
Moog$FooL$
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
darenager wrote:

Great minds think alike! I'm not sure whether I want to reapply power to my second modular cabinet (which has the ASR I'll use as a S&H) tonight or panelize my new "2164 Korgasmatron VCF" dual Korg MS-20 filter clone based on the SSM2164 quad VCA (think two MOTM 420s in a single package for about 1/4 the cost)!!! Rockin' Banana! nanners Rockin' Banana! nanners Rockin' Banana!

LOL!! did u just hi-jack your own thread to "sell" & brag about your new module??? razz nirk nirk! thumbs up

oh yeah... answer your email.... soon-ish.

d.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
LOL!! did u just hi-jack your own thread to "sell" & brag about your new module??? razz nirk nirk! thumbs up

Yes, and I did already.
Moog$FooL$
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Moog$FooL$ wrote:

Yes, and I did already.

sorry.... missed that, gotcha now.

say! how about starting a new thread about this ms20 clone. pics & all the fixin's. hyper
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
say! how about starting a new thread about this ms20 clone. pics & all the fixin's. hyper

Maybe I will, once I get this bad boy panelled up:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the "2164 Korgasmatron" dual MS-20 style VCF board. How's that for a "sketch and etch"? Rockin' Banana!
Moog$FooL$
nice!!!

i see you've started covering the traces. how's that done?

hmmm.....
JohnLRice
I love early Chicago! Chicago VII was the last one I really got into (especially Devil's Sweet! we're not worthy we're not worthy )

I found a review here that mentions an ARP synth was used:
The group were continuing in their incorporation of additional musicians, most notably Laudir DeOliveira (percussion) and David J. Wolinski (ARP synthesizer) -- both of whom are prominently featured throughout the sides. The opening instrumentals, including "Prelude to Aire," "Aire," and "Devil's Sweet," reflect Daniel Seraphine's (drums) tremendously underrated skills as a writer as well as the combo's recently underutilized talents as ensemble musicians. All three tracks provide a brilliant showcase for the brass/woodwind section(s) to flex their respective muscles, drawing heavily upon the styles of Weather Report and to some extent Miles Davis and Santana. The nature of their seemingly experimental fusion is stretched out even further on "Italian From New York." The cut includes some interesting ARP interjections from Robert Lamm, whose decidedly free-form contributions weave alongside some rubbery and liquefied fretwork courtesy of Terry Kath (guitar/vocals). His lead bobs around Lamm's synthesizer and an equally prominent cool-toned Fender Rhodes keyboard bed.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
nice!!!

hmmm.....

I had to cross the land of the faeries until I came to the bridge of death over the dragon's lair. There, a sightless old man told me a riddle in three parts, each one requiring the correct answer or the threat of escalating annoyance and inconvenience. I think his name was "Trebecq" and I had to frame my answers to him in the form of questions. Once I had passed his test, I was allowed to cross the bridge of death and soon came upon the cave of the vestal virgins. They pleasured me for seven days and seven nights, and then offered me a parting gift: a crystal flagon containing the precious elixir of preservation known to the ancients as "Liqq'wiid-Tijn." They instructed me to submit the sacred red metal tablets inscribed with the holy symbols of "Ser-Kets" to its magical ministrations for several minutes, to ward off the evil overlord "Ahk'xe Dae-shin" who always tries to rent the symbols asunder, but must never be allowed, after which I was to douse the sacred tablets in the warm waters of the mystical fountain of "Taap" at the edge of the basin of "Lonn-Dree".
I followed the virgins' instructions to the letter, and have been bless'ed evermore.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
JohnLRice wrote:
I love early Chicago! Chicago VII was the last one I really got into (especially Devil's Sweet! we're not worthy we're not worthy )

thumbs up
I've been listening to almost nothing but Chicago for the last two weeks. I had forgotten how awesome they were. I find that my favorite at the moment is Chicago III, but the first half of Chicago VII has been making me a "Happy Man" as well. nanners
This weekend, I'm going to get my modular (a midget compared to yours, but hey, I'm building it all from scratch, so cut me some slack!) back up and running, and see if I can't reproduce that weird sound in "Italian from NY". If I'm successful, I'll post a clip. Then, I'm hoping some others will offer other sounds, and we can make a little contest out of it.
Moog$FooL$
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
nice!!!

hmmm.....

I had to cross the land of the faeries until I came to the bridge of death over the dragon's lair. There, a sightless old man told me a riddle in three parts, each one requiring the correct answer or the threat of escalating annoyance and inconvenience. I think his name was "Trebecq" and I had to frame my answers to him in the form of questions. Once I had passed his test, I was allowed to cross the bridge of death and soon came upon the cave of the vestal virgins. They pleasured me for seven days and seven nights, and then offered me a parting gift: a crystal flagon containing the precious elixir of preservation known to the ancients as "Liqq'wiid-Tijn." They instructed me to submit the sacred red metal tablets inscribed with the holy symbols of "Ser-Kets" to its magical ministrations for several minutes, to ward off the evil overlord "Ahk'xe Dae-shin" who always tries to rent the symbols asunder, but must never be allowed, after which I was to douse the sacred tablets in the warm waters of the mystical fountain of "Taap" at the edge of the basin of "Lonn-Dree".
I followed the virgins' instructions to the letter, and have been bless'ed evermore.

eek! sad banana d'oh!
Morley
I turn the minimoog on

Guinness ftw!
Moog$FooL$
Morley wrote:
I turn the minimoog on

Guinness ftw!

yeah, he can use mine occasionally..... but he doesn't seem to like it much.
or maybe it's just that he's after some'in. different.

hmmm.....
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
...?
Morley
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Morley wrote:
I turn the minimoog on

Guinness ftw!

yeah, he can use mine occasionally..... but he doesn't seem to like it much.
or maybe it's just that he's after some'in. different.

hmmm.....

Light hearted quip....guess that's not called for. seriously, i just don't get it

What is a 70's sound?
If you want your recordings to sound 70's then switch your 70's brain on. Arrangement, composition, recording, sound..

So it has to be 70's BUT he wants something different. Ok...er...

It just doesn't compute to me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2