9090 (909 clone) with Cirklon ?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

9090 (909 clone) with Cirklon ?

Post by resetlfo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:46 am

hello

I was wondering if anybody using 9090 rack 909 clone with Cirklon sequencer
9090 really sounding crazy authentic from all the videos I saw . and if Cirklon can provide similar groove , I am planing to go for it .

how is the midi response of the machine ?

thanks for informations

nathanscribe
Common Wiggler

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:09 am

I use my 9090 with a Beatstep Pro, it works well. The 9090 sounds great (as you'd expect – the circuit is a copy of the 909 sound generators, including the samples, which come on pre-programmed ICs). The only changes are a couple of extensions to the kick.

The only thing worth bearing in mind with the 9090 is that by default it responds to MIDI note off messages – this has no impact on the analogue sounds, but it means that the sampled sounds (hats, crash, cymbal) are cut off when the note is released. You can change this behaviour to ignore note off messages and get full tail on the samples by using a sysex tool, but I've never managed to get that to work. My own solution was to use a MIDI filter in the DAW, but this can't be done directly with the Beatstep Pro. I've yet to find a way around this. On the other hand, being able to control the length of the sampled sounds simply with note length allows for some nice rhythmic dynamics.

TL;DR: the 9090 is great, and it sounds authentic because it is. Just bear in mind the Note Off factor.

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resetlfo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 am

nathanscribe wrote:I use my 9090 with a Beatstep Pro, it works well. The 9090 sounds great (as you'd expect – the circuit is a copy of the 909 sound generators, including the samples, which come on pre-programmed ICs). The only changes are a couple of extensions to the kick.

The only thing worth bearing in mind with the 9090 is that by default it responds to MIDI note off messages – this has no impact on the analogue sounds, but it means that the sampled sounds (hats, crash, cymbal) are cut off when the note is released. You can change this behaviour to ignore note off messages and get full tail on the samples by using a sysex tool, but I've never managed to get that to work. My own solution was to use a MIDI filter in the DAW, but this can't be done directly with the Beatstep Pro. I've yet to find a way around this. On the other hand, being able to control the length of the sampled sounds simply with note length allows for some nice rhythmic dynamics.

TL;DR: the 9090 is great, and it sounds authentic because it is. Just bear in mind the Note Off factor.
Thanks !

Does it mean I have to hold the note to be able to hear a OH in full length ?
In cirklon you can give each step different lengths

nathanscribe
Common Wiggler

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 am

resetlfo wrote:Does it mean I have to hold the note to be able to hear a OH in full length ?
With the 9090 in default "MIDI Note Off" mode, yes. The sampled sounds cut off when the MIDI note ends.

If you put a MIDI filter in the way, or get the 9090 sysex file to work, then the 9090 will play the full length samples regardless of note length.

The Beatstep Pro also allows note length to be set per step, so it's quite nice to leave the Note Off function in place, and get some creative gating going.

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resetlfo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 am

nathanscribe wrote:
resetlfo wrote:Does it mean I have to hold the note to be able to hear a OH in full length ?
With the 9090 in default "MIDI Note Off" mode, yes. The sampled sounds cut off when the MIDI note ends.

If you put a MIDI filter in the way, or get the 9090 sysex file to work, then the 9090 will play the full length samples regardless of note length.

The Beatstep Pro also allows note length to be set per step, so it's quite nice to leave the Note Off function in place, and get some creative gating going.
How is the midi . When you make crazy programming , does it get sluggish ?

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:56 am

I use this exact set up. Like it WAY better than an actual 909. Obviously the Cirklon runs circles around the 909 sequencer. The timing is much better. Haven't noticed any MIDI problems.
I've had 3 different real 909's over the years and sonically I can't tell any difference with 9090 (except the added features).
I've got it set up on individual P3 tracks instead of a CK style grid. This way I can take advantage of the Aux Events like Random Gate Mask, Repeat, etc..

Really great set up.

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resetlfo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:32 pm

CF3 wrote:I use this exact set up. Like it WAY better than an actual 909. Obviously the Cirklon runs circles around the 909 sequencer. The timing is much better. Haven't noticed any MIDI problems.
I've had 3 different real 909's over the years and sonically I can't tell any difference with 9090 (except the added features).
I've got it set up on individual P3 tracks instead of a CK style grid. This way I can take advantage of the Aux Events like Random Gate Mask, Repeat, etc..

Really great set up.

yes I am in the same situation . I had also a 909 in the past, had to sell now I really would like to get a one, but the price is just out of mind.
as I said 9090 sounds quiet authentic, maybe the best I have ever heard.
I was wondering how Cirklon sequencer would handle it , and if it gets close to the feeling of the real 909 groove.
I wish CK would have pattern chain as of 909 , this part is really annoying.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Not exactly the same "groove" wise. But you can get much more intricate with the Delay function.
Lots of workarounds for the pattern chaining.

The combo is definitely not a one-to-one replacement, much like most of the TB303 clone aren't either. But I think what you gain vastly outnumbers what you give up.

nathanscribe
Common Wiggler

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:57 pm

I miss my TX81Z!!! Great for bass. Preferred it to any other FM synth I've used really. :doh:

I've never noticed any sluggishness with MIDI on the 9090 either. It sounds pretty tight to my ears.

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resetlfo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:37 pm

CF3 wrote:Not exactly the same "groove" wise.
:cry:

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 pm

resetlfo wrote:
CF3 wrote:Not exactly the same "groove" wise.
:cry:
You might forget the 909 groove after locking to the Cirklon clock. :hihi:

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:13 pm

CF3 wrote:I use this exact set up. Like it WAY better than an actual 909. Obviously the Cirklon runs circles around the 909 sequencer. The timing is much better. Haven't noticed any MIDI problems.

Really great set up.

man, my rack is huge and i dont even think it is as cool as this mini rack.

Moskowitz
Common Wiggler

Post by Moskowitz » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:44 pm

Really great set up.

Wow that looks like a really sweet setup especially with the addition of the EMU sampler.

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rean1mator » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:09 pm

is the 9090 diy kit still available? sent an email via the synthage.com site and got no response.

Return to “General Gear”