MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Clipping in DAW/Interface?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Clipping in DAW/Interface?
Truckfumes
Why does my output meter on my interface max out in the red and clip in my headphones when I'm tracking, yet the input meter on the interface and in the track meter in the DAW is not high enough.(50% lotta headroom)

I don't recall this happening much or at all in the past.
If I was clipping it usually showed on the input meter as well.

Anybody help please?
It's a Steinberg UR28M, I've used it for about 6 years.
It's running through Cubase.

Thank you.
giugno
Upon playback, does what you recorded sound like it was clipping? Are you able to turn down the input gain on the interface to get rid of the clipping?
GuyaGuy
Is your Cubase audio track just up higher than normal or have some compression or something similar?
Truckfumes
giugno wrote:
Upon playback, does what you recorded sound like it was clipping? Are you able to turn down the input gain on the interface to get rid of the clipping?

Yeah I think the audio does clip sometimes upon playback.
Yes if I turn down the gain or the volume of the instrument the clipping stops.
On the output meter. It never shows clipping on the input meter.
The input is showing peaks of -12db or so.

I record alot of mono through audio input 2(by default). It has a pre amp.
Last night for the heck of it I switched over to input 1.(also with pre)
The problem was not there.(of course those were slightly different signals etc)

I'm guessing that input 2 is getting tired.(?) I've blasted alot of line level synth signals through it for years. I don't know.
Truckfumes
GuyaGuy wrote:
Is your Cubase audio track just up higher than normal or have some compression or something similar?

I don't understand the first part of your question.
The other part, no I don't use any compression on the outside of the box.

This is just laying down raw audio tracks with no treatments.
Other than maybe raising the pre-amp on the interface 15-20%.
And that's not necessary. I only add a little preamp for any possible warmth and color.
L4nd3R
Truckfumes wrote:
Why does my output meter on my interface max out in the red and clip in my headphones when I'm tracking, yet the input meter on the interface and in the track meter in the DAW is not high enough.(50% lotta headroom)

Shot in the dark here, but...
Is it possible you are monitoring twice the same channel?
- Live monitoring in the DAW channel you are recording to + direct monitoring on the audio interface?

This happens to me once in a while if I don't take care to turn off the direct monitoring on my interface (NI Audio 6). The output gets really hot and I notice a tiny bit of a phasing effect, due to the small latency in recording vs the no latency direct monitoring.

Maybe worth a shot?
flo
Double monitoring would be my first guess too, but probably rather twice in the DAW and not DAW + interface (as that latter one wouldn't be indicated in the DAW master out, and as you say it would result in pretty noticeable phasing).
sutekina bipu-on
If its only on one channel i'd look to see if you have a dying cap on that channel but if it's not a design where every channel has its own "strip" this may not be the case.
Truckfumes
L4nd3R wrote:
Truckfumes wrote:

Shot in the dark here, but...
Is it possible you are monitoring twice the same channel?
- Live monitoring in the DAW channel you are recording to + direct monitoring on the audio interface?

This happens to me once in a while if I don't take care to turn off the direct monitoring on my interface (NI Audio 6). The output gets really hot and I notice a tiny bit of a phasing effect, due to the small latency in recording vs the no latency direct monitoring.

Maybe worth a shot?

That's a great shot in the dark, but no. I do that from time to time but this isn't that.
I think the thing is tired. The other pre input is working ok. I switched to it to see if it made a difference.
Thanks for the reply.
Truckfumes
flo wrote:
Double monitoring would be my first guess too, but probably rather twice in the DAW and not DAW + interface (as that latter one wouldn't be indicated in the DAW master out, and as you say it would result in pretty noticeable phasing).

That's good to know. Because I always direct monitor.
This problem has just started occurring.

Thanks everyone for your help. I was kind of hoping this was some standard indicator of faulty equipment.

Also this does happen when tracking a solo track so it isn't the sum of multiple outs that is clipping.

I think it's time for a new interface. Or maybe just switch over to the line inputs for awhile.

If anyone has any more feedback I'd love to hear it. Always interested in Interface/DAW tech.
I'm not very tech savvy.
flo
Another idea: Is there a way to change in the software of the interface how the levels are calibrated? I.e., how much dBu on the analog side is 0dBfs on the digital side? If that differs between the in and out, you could also get this behaviour, if my thinking is right...

Good luck!
sutekina bipu-on
Also are we (you) sure that the problem only occurs on that one inputs channel? It is possible if was used really hard for 6 years on one input, that that one could have taken a hit compared to the rest. You could check to see if any caps are visually damaged, though.
Truckfumes
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
Also are we (you) sure that the problem only occurs on that one inputs channel? It is possible if was used really hard for 6 years on one input, that that one could have taken a hit compared to the rest. You could check to see if any caps are visually damaged, though.

Yes I stated above that I tried the other input and it seems ok.
This wasn't an exact scientific comparison, but it doesn't clip on the outputs with similar audio going thru it.
Thanks alot.
Truckfumes
flo wrote:
Another idea: Is there a way to change in the software of the interface how the levels are calibrated? I.e., how much dBu on the analog side is 0dBfs on the digital side? If that differs between the in and out, you could also get this behaviour, if my thinking is right...

Good luck!

Ehhh, there are some things to tweak in the interface software as well as the DAW set-up.
I never mess with these things because I don't understand them fully, or they may not apply to my application.
These settings on the "default" that I've used for 6 years have served me well.
Now just lately I have gone in and messed around with them in reference to this problem-like the troubleshooting you're suggesting.
But I can't seem to make a difference with these settings.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1