MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Groovebox(es)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Groovebox(es)
iSapien1956672
Does anyone out there have, or still use, a groovebox?
I still use my MC-303 for writing ideas, loops and was wondering if anyone used theirs with their eurorack rigs using MIDI/CV... hmmm.....
CDavis
Groove boxes are more popular then ever. Elektron etc.
cv_rave_on
iSapien1956672 wrote:
Does anyone out there have, or still use, a groovebox?
I still use my MC-303 for writing ideas, loops and was wondering if anyone used theirs with their eurorack rigs using MIDI/CV... hmmm.....

Using something like Elektron Analog Four or Octatrack with Synapse or Mutable Instruments Yarns is pretty popular with euro rack. You could use your MC-303 with a Yarns or any other MIDI to CV device.
pricklyrobot
I use an E-mu MP-7 as my main drum machine and for all of my sequencing, including the modular via a pair of trusty old A-190-2’s.

I’ve pondered fancier/newer set-ups occasionally, but this one ain’t broke, so... nanners
vingtdieux
Maybe soon...Malekko Grooveboxes :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175407&highlight=
iSapien1956672
pricklyrobot wrote:
I use an E-mu MP-7 as my main drum machine and for all of my sequencing, including the modular via a pair of trusty old A-190-2’s.

I’ve pondered fancier/newer set-ups occasionally, but this one ain’t broke, so... nanners

Awesome, it's good to hear that someone is using an older box like the E-MU.
I have the Dreadbox 168 case and that has a MIDI/CV conversion plug/port built in.
Wish me luck seriously, i just don't get it
iSapien1956672
OFF TOPIC: anyone else having problems with Search option not working?
Trigga
search funkction doesn't work for me neither ...

I use the MC 808, it is a very, very underrated machine!!
iSapien1956672
Trigga wrote:
search funkction doesn't work for me neither ...

I use the MC 808, it is a very, very underrated machine!!

When that 505 came out I loved that D-Beam option, like a light theramin.
How do you like it? Is it more advanced on the 808?
Koekepan
If it's sequencing that you're looking for, go to Social Entropy and ask about their next run of their Engine sequencer with the CV attachment.

Very good tool for composition, livelooping, performance. Good for integrating MIDI signals as well.
Audiokatz
I love the groovebox approach for coming up with beats and ideas, there's just something I find creative about it that I cannot seem to replicate in a DAW.

That said, I don't have that many now, currently have a Korg ES-1 mk2, an MPC 1000, and recently decided to grab the Korg Volca FM & Volca Sample - although I haven't really had much time to get used those yet. I also have an old RM1x which I never did like the sound of but really liked the sequencer which I used to control various other things. That has some issues at the moment so out of use.

I'm not sure what officially defines a groovebox but I kinda think of them as at least having their own on-board sequencers.
RadioTelefonik
I've got an MC-303 that I've spent a lot of time with. I never program in the 'song' mode, since I use it almost exclusively for minimal. Just program a bunch of parts in one pattern and sequence them live. Or for DnB I'll just program breaks, pads and shit separately, record them to Ableton and chop 'em up from there.
lootacow
RM1X all day! Its a sequencing beast for sure.
chess1
I have sold and rebought the RS7000 FOUR times now.

It really makes my xox Heart and Atlantis sing well together!
drip.feed
chess1 wrote:
I have sold and rebought the RS7000 FOUR times now.

That’s the opposite of me. I’m just about to sell my RS7000. I don’t click with grooveboxes. confused
minimalist
I love grooveboxes too. Among others, I had the Quasimidi 309 which had potential but ultimately the OS got on my nerves. I seem to remember having to stop the sequencer to switch modes. It was a long time ago.
My favourite was the Jomox X Base 09 and would have kept it but switched to the Airbase 09. Volca Sample sounds amazing but sequencer is too short so I use it as a module. I'm very tempted by Digitakt but Elektron OS is off-putting.
slumberjack
on a lonely island i would take with me:

- yamaha su700 with scsi2cf
- 6u 84hp
- monomachine
- a walkman with stereo rec. in
phantomfreq
I'm looking for my first groovebox in an attempt to get away from a DAW and I have no idea what to look for in them. The options are kind of overwhelming if you've never used one before.
stainers
phantomfreq wrote:
I'm looking for my first groovebox in an attempt to get away from a DAW and I have no idea what to look for in them. The options are kind of overwhelming if you've never used one before.

Before really getting into DAWs I spent years loving my MC-307, you can create whole worlds in those things and I imagine an MC-808/MC-909 would be better.
Beyond that I would suggest Elektron, though if you want a complete single unit you may be limited to Octatrack/Digitakt and Rytm. I've only tried the latter and haven't used the new update with added synth but it previously hasn't really satisfied the synth side of things and the hidden workflow really stops me learning the machine properly, though I do love the sound and the functions available.
iSapien1956672
phantomfreq wrote:

I still use mai MC-303 to this day since 1996. I really like Roland and Korg’s UI on their units.
Koekepan
phantomfreq wrote:

If your budget is low, consider the Novation Circuit.

If your budget is big, try the Synthstrom Deluge. Or the OP-1.
slumberjack
i'd go for an electribe mk1, probably the green one. insanly cheap atm.
if you like it, check out the other boxes and pick the one where you really LOVE the sound.
phantomfreq
Koekepan wrote:
phantomfreq wrote:

If your budget is low, consider the Novation Circuit.

If your budget is big, try the Synthstrom Deluge. Or the OP-1.

I've actually been eyeing the Circuit since I mostly want a groovebox for practice writing grooves, and there's something disproportionately appealing about sitting on the couch and turning out beeps.
pricklyrobot
Love my OP-1, and recommend it to anyone who can scrape together the cash. But I wouldn’t recommend it as a groovebox if you have any interest in controlling/sequencing other gear. It’s best thought of as a self-contained little super-synth.
phantomfreq
I keep looking at videos of the Digitakt and keep thinking it might be a game changer for me... then I start thinking that I'd be entirely out of my depth with it. I do so little that is sample-based that I have almost no sample library to speak of, just stuff that's effectively embedded in Kontakt instruments and the like.

Am I correct in assuming you'd need a good range of samples to get much out of the Digitakt? Or be prepared to record a bunch of your own?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2