MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deckards Dream General Build Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Author Deckards Dream General Build Thread
needspeed
tobb wrote:
needspeed wrote:

It is going to take a long time to inventory this eek!

needspeed? wink

If you are asking have I done it yet, then no.

I may start later today as I am hoping Roman starts to ship next week and I ordered within a couple of hours of the pay balance was announced........Steve
synthcube
SMT caps: repeat after me: 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9....10..11...12...
(long interlude) ...687...688... whew! they're all there.

499ohm metal film resistors: repeat after me: 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...
(long interlude) ...222....223....224....whew! all there....

.. and so it continues for another, oh, 3,850 parts or so

smile
needspeed
synthcube wrote:
SMT caps: repeat after me: 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9....10..11...12...
(long interlude) ...687...688... whew! they're all there.

499ohm metal film resistors: repeat after me: 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...
(long interlude) ...222....223....224....whew! all there....

.. and so it continues for another, oh, 3,850 parts or so

smile

Well now that I think about I bought all of my parts from you so I have no need to do an inventory as I know that you guys are the very best and could never be less than perfect. What a relief now that I just know it is all there........Steve
DvStcH
[/quote]

I agree, but due to the size of the project, it will be a fine challenge for many even with experience. This will be one hell of a DIY for someone who has done little to no DIY in the past......Steve[/quote]

^^^ This is basically me.

I've been building a year and although I've got a fair few thru hole projects under my belt (living vco was the most complicated so far and I still haven't finished the rr80 from old crow...) I'm fairly nervous about this whole project.
smd caps don't seem so bad... I can test them by making sure only one side bleeps to ground... what could go wrong (*AAAH!) MY ASS IS BLEEDING Dead Banana
synthcube
yes, by that two hundredth-or-so SMD cap, you'll be doing them in your sleep smile
fuzzbass
synthcube wrote:
yes, by that two hundredth-or-so SMD cap, you'll be doing them in your sleep smile

Does this mean I will be doing them without thinking, or seeing myself still doing them while I dream?

Also, Black and Decker stock rose today on rumors of high demand for toaster ovens.
needspeed
fuzzbass wrote:
synthcube wrote:

Does this mean I will be doing them without thinking, or seeing myself still doing them while I dream?

Also, Black and Decker stock rose today on rumors of high demand for toaster ovens.

A project as magnificent as Deckards Dream deserves this $400 beauty, not a common B&D Tony!!!!!

needspeed
Roman confirmed on FB that kits will ship on the 10th which is actually today in Japan!!!!!!!

Shipping will be via Japan Post International priority with tracking.

Look forward to hearing about shipping notifications from anyone who sees one including me!!!!!........Steve
sduck
Japan post can be ridiculously fast sometimes. Not always, but sometimes. I've had things get here the day after I ordered them.
needspeed
sduck wrote:
Japan post can be ridiculously fast sometimes. Not always, but sometimes. I've had things get here the day after I ordered them.

Especially if you are in Japan!!!!! Thanks sduck, that is really good to hear so we will see within days!!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
needspeed
From Shaun Farley on FB concerning SynthCube BOM vs Roman's latest BOM:

These were the discrepancies of note that I found:
- 2 120K resistors for the main board
- Synthcube list mentions 2 44-pin edge connectors for the main board vs. 9 on the official BOM
- 304 30K resistors for the voice cards aren't on Synthcube BOM

I asked SynthCube the following: Shaun stated that you got back to him confirming his observations. When might you update the BOM on your website.....Thanks....Steve

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
I would expect that they will send these out as back-orders to those of us who already have received our parts kits from them or are already in transit.

SynthCube please confirm and thank you for your support...Steve
jimfowler
I have that toaster oven. Its nice. I'm fairly certain my wife would be less than pleased if I decided to repurpose it.
needspeed
jimfowler wrote:
I have that toaster oven. Its nice. I'm fairly certain my wife would be less than pleased if I decided to repurpose it.

Get Her the B&D!!!! as this one looks like a mighty fine base for a home brew re-flow oven Mr. Green ......Steve
synthcube
needspeed wrote:

- Synthcube list mentions 2 44-pin edge connectors for the main board vs. 9 on the official BOM

I asked SynthCube the following: Shaun stated that you got back to him confirming his observations. When might you update the BOM on your website.....Thanks....Steve

I would expect that they will send these out as back-orders to those of us who already have received our parts kits from them or are already in transit.

Yes, we've revised the synthCUbe BOM and will be posting it later today. These additional parts will go out in the backorder parts shipments to those who have received kits, and will be included in the kits still being made.
needspeed
synthcube wrote:
needspeed wrote:

Yes, we've revised the synthCUbe BOM and will be posting it later today. These additional parts will go out in the backorder parts shipments to those who have received kits, and will be included in the kits still being made.

Awesome and thank you so much for your support and commitment to this epic project.....Steve
needspeed
Exciting news as Roman sent me a pic of my package with a shipping label affixed with my name and address. They are starting to go out so start heating up your soldering irons!!!!!!!!!!! Also don't forget magnification for all those lovely SMTs
ultravox
That's great news needspeed! I'll probably bake on the SMD caps and install the sockets before I head out of town. Then finish the build when I return in November.

Things may have changed since my ET days in the 90's but we used to find cracked SMD caps after machine soldering in our lab. They weren't easy to spot by eye but we would have problems with various circuits. This may not be an issue for us here but it's something to keep in mind since we'll be soldering 600+ of these little buggers.

For those on the fence about getting synthcube's parts kit or source everything yourself... I recommend getting the parts kit!! While you may save a little money sourcing on your own you'll have to deal with vendors all over the world trying to get everything this month that's backordered on Mouser. I sourced the parts myself and I think I'm a few years older from it...
you kids get off my lawn
needspeed
ultravox wrote:
That's great news needspeed! I'll probably bake on the SMD caps and install the sockets before I head out of town. Then finish the build when I return in November.

Things may have changed since my ET days in the 90's but we used to find cracked SMD caps after machine soldering in our lab. They weren't easy to spot by eye but we would have problems with various circuits. This may not be an issue for us here but it's something to keep in mind since we'll be soldering 600+ of these little buggers.

For those on the fence about getting synthcube's parts kit or source everything yourself... I recommend getting the parts kit!! While you may save a little money sourcing on your own you'll have to deal with vendors all over the world trying to get everything this month that's backordered on Mouser. I sourced the parts myself and I think a a few years older from it...
you kids get off my lawn

Wise words, indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sraiphin
needspeed wrote:

Yeah. It took me about two hours to go through the two BOMs with a fine toothed comb, but I'm glad I did. Definitely prefer to find these things out before I start inventorying when the stuff arrives. Big thanks to SynthCube for taking point on assembling these kits, and for the awesome customer support! You rock!
needspeed
sraiphin wrote:
needspeed wrote:

Yeah. It took me about two hours to go through the two BOMs with a fine toothed comb, but I'm glad I did. Definitely prefer to find these things out before I start inventorying when the stuff arrives. Big thanks to SynthCube for taking point on assembling these kits, and for the awesome customer support! You rock!

Big thanks to you for the effort for the benefit of the community it was no small task.....Thanks....Steve
sraiphin
I should probably also note that the comparison was with the latest official BOM ("1.05"); it's still possible more could change.

Another item omitted from the SynthCube BOM was the recently added USB A to USB B adapter, but I didn't see the point in mentioning that to them. I mean...really...who here doesn't have a spare USB cable laying around? wink
fuzzbass
ultravox wrote:

For those on the fence about getting synthcube's parts kit or source everything yourself... I recommend getting the parts kit!! While you may save a little money sourcing on your own you'll have to deal with vendors all over the world trying to get everything this month that's backordered on Mouser. I sourced the parts myself and I think I'm a few years older from it...
you kids get off my lawn

My problem with that is that I already had about 1/3 of the parts on hand. Plus its against my general policy of doing things the hard way.

I have seen a Synthcube parts kit for TTSH. Very organized. I think it took them longer to pack that than it took me to build it. In the end I had a lifetime supply of tiny ziplock bags.

[added] Because of my own well documented fallibility, I always count and double count part quantities. My recollection about the SC TTSH kit was zero errors, which is remarkable considering how many parts were involved.
LED-man
I ordered from Mouser for 300€ , TME.eu 200€, eBay 70€
Plus the synthcube faderkit and IC kit.
but i spend 5 hours for all.
ultravox
I also got the fader kit and IC kit from synthcube which was a wise decision. I should have gotten the full parts kit but I was feeling adventurous. I'm finalizing delivery with a vender in China for the Dagnabbit EG2201B slide switches, so everything in total will be here before the end of the month.

I hate to admit it took me more than 5 hours... d'oh! Buying the full parts kit is definitely the best route.

I checked the BOM link this morning and it was updated: "REV1.0.6 CHANGED 1N5817 TO BAT85S ON THE MOTHERBOARD"
the bad producer
Hi, I've 2 DD's on their way and I've bought the ebay parts as specced (too lazy to look elsewhere and... cheap!).. So, I'll have a few spare:

M2 4MM BLACK PAN HEAD SCREW (lots spare)
M2.5 6MM BLACK PAN HEAD SCREW(lots spare)
M2 FF 5MM STANDOFF (4 sets spare)
M2.5 FF 25MM STANDOFF (3 sets spare)

If anyone in the UK/EU wants a set or anything let me know, they're not here yet, they may be a while Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Page 3 of 39