MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deckards Dream General Build Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Author Deckards Dream General Build Thread
needspeed
fuzzbass wrote:
needspeed wrote:
I understand Tony it will be tedious. I have no experience with reflow but would love to hear from someone who does, as these are double sided boards that already have SMDs affixed, so I wonder how you add components without disturbing the ones already there......Steve

Per BOM, pre-installed parts are on main board along with 102 of these caps. The rest (566) are on boards with no pre-installed parts. If someone has access to a laser cutter to make solder masks, and a reflow oven, that should make quick work of this.

Meanwhile, I asked Roman is this is just a BOM oversight. If all of these need to be manually installed, his production cost for completed units is going to balloon.

Tony I asked Roman this direct same question and his response was that if it does not say pre-installed, then you need to order it and install it. He was very clear on the need to install the SMD caps in the build. I am looking for his actual response right now.......Steve

From Roman Filippov via FB: All populated parts are indicated in a bom, you only need to solder smt 0.1uf capacitors and one soic8 chip on a output board, it's easy job for anyone
· Reply ·
· September 20 at 8:45am
Remove
Steve Sommers
Steve Sommers Cool and thanks I must have missed that in my excitement!!!!!
· Reply · September 20 at 8:46am
ultravox
needspeed wrote:

From Roman Filippov via FB: All populated parts are indicated in a bom, you only need to solder smt 0.1uf capacitors and one soic8 chip on a output board, it's easy job for anyone

This could be troublesome for some newcomers. That's an enormous amount of smd for anyone (including veterans)... especially without proper tooling.

I'm researching now how to convert my old toaster oven to perform reflow.
needspeed
ultravox wrote:
needspeed wrote:

This could be troublesome for some newcomers. That's an enormous amount of smd for anyone (including veterans)... especially without proper tooling.

I'm researching now how to convert my old toaster oven to perform reflow.

I agree, but due to the size of the project, it will be a fine challenge for many even with experience. This will be one hell of a DIY for someone who has done little to no DIY in the past......Steve
ultravox
needspeed wrote:

I agree, but due to the size of the project, it will be a fine challenge for many even with experience. This will be one hell of a DIY for someone who has done little to no DIY in the past......Steve

Agreed! thumbs up
synthcube
on the plus side, any DIYer who does successfully install that many SMT caps will certainly qualify as an 'SDIY SMT Guru' we're not worthy

from our view, the question will be how many thru-hole SDIY people might actually decide they prefer SMT once they're used to it?
fuzzbass
Well if we lack smt soldering chops now, we won't afterward. To be honest, if I had the choice between 668 smt or through hole caps, I'd take the smt.
needspeed
fuzzbass wrote:
Well if we lack smt soldering chops now, we won't afterward. To be honest, if I had the choice between 668 smt or through hole caps, I'd take the smt.

Once you get the hang of SMT its not bad at all, but it takes a bit of practice. I am glad I have built 3 O&Cs I really EFFED up the first one, but I figured it out and they have over 70 SMT parts to solder.......Steve
sixbyseven
fuzzbass wrote:

Ya.... they don't call me "Tombstone Todd" for nothing.....

thumbs up
ultravox
We should all receive SMD merit badges when we're done!

fuzzbass
ultravox wrote:

If you can do 0201 and D4 you can build your own android phone.
ultravox
fuzzbass wrote:
ultravox wrote:

If you can do 0201 and D4 you can build your own android phone.

Haha, it takes a droid to build a droid, or Anakin Skywalker - LOL! Mr. Green
Jdemary
The Deckards Dream website needs to be updated. In the FAQ section of the website, it states “The kit ships with all SMD parts preinstalled and only requires through-hole soldering, meaning even beginners should be able to build this project.”
needspeed
Jdemary wrote:
The Deckards Dream website needs to be updated. In the FAQ section of the website, it states “The kit ships with all SMD parts preinstalled and only requires through-hole soldering, meaning even beginners should be able to build this project.”

I agree and will contact Roman to see if they have time to update the website......Steve
pschilling
Jdemary wrote:

Yes why the change from "only requires through-hole soldering" to "requires soldering 600 SMDs"? How did that come about?

eek! help
LED-man
A Very good question!
That’s not funny to solder more than 600 SMT caps.
jimfowler
Before I built my O&C and crOwBX I bought a handful of SMD practice boards on eBay for next to nothing. The quality of the boards is somewhere between terrible and quasi-acceptable but they do the trick in terms of getting your feet wet re: SMD and practicing your technique. Now I fear not the surface mount component.
needspeed
SynthCube delivered today with very few back-ordered parts so just for poops and grins take a look at Deckards Dream's guts!!!!!!!

It is going to take a long time to inventory this eek!

oberling
pschilling wrote:
Jdemary wrote:

Yes why the change from "only requires through-hole soldering" to "requires soldering 600 SMDs"? How did that come about?

eek! help

I remember having read the text under the DIY kit I ordered. And it clearly stated at that time already that the bypass capacitors would be SMT 0805 (a reasonable choice and size for DIY soldering in my opinion). The amount wasn't clear there though. But already the preliminary BOM contained well over 600 SMT capacitors... So while I get that this might be astonishing to some when reading only this particular entry in the FAQ we have to see that the question right under it already steps down to only the SMT chips that are presoldered...

It's a large project and if each and every chip has two bypass capacitors (one for each power rail) and there are around 25 chips per voice card alone (as seen on the voice cards on the instagram account)... this adds up quickly...
KlangGenerator
0805 soldering

Looks pretty straight forward...
needspeed
oberling wrote:
pschilling wrote:
Jdemary wrote:

eek! help

I remember having read the text under the DIY kit I ordered. And it clearly stated at that time already that the bypass capacitors would be SMT 0805 (a reasonable choice and size for DIY soldering in my opinion). The amount wasn't clear there though. But already the preliminary BOM contained well over 600 SMT capacitors... So while I get that this might be astonishing to some when reading only this particular entry in the FAQ we have to see that the question right under it already steps down to only the SMT chips that are presoldered...

It's a large project and if each and every chip has two bypass capacitors (one for each power rail) and there are around 25 chips per voice card alone (as seen on the voice cards on the instagram account)... this adds up quickly...

The confusion comes from reading the FAQ section which clearly states all through hole components, so the site is not consistent. Therefore the angst being expressed by some folks which is understandable......Steve
ArguZ
LED-man wrote:
A Very good question!
That’s not funny to solder more than 600 SMT caps.

Actually i would love to build a 100% SMD kit.
Much rather than solder 600 through hole caps.
LED-man
after a short review (2hours) of the Mouser BOM:

there´re a many positions with a pricebreak by ordering the next pricebreak like 100x 1nF c0g capacitors intead of 46 of them.
fuzzbass
needspeed wrote:
SynthCube delivered today with very few back-ordered parts so just for poops and grins take a look at Deckards Dream's guts!!!!!!!

I think I speak for all when I say thank you for not doing an unboxing video.
needspeed
fuzzbass wrote:
needspeed wrote:

I think I speak for all when I say thank you for not doing an unboxing video.

Very Funny Tony!!!!!!!!
tobb
needspeed wrote:

needspeed? wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Page 2 of 39