MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Passive Box (maybe a little guidance is in order)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Passive Box (maybe a little guidance is in order)
rimbod
Hi folks. Venturing into my first uber-simple DIY project. Making a box of passive utilities to use with my eurorack synth. The box has three sections. The theory behind each of the three sections is so simple, though, that I'm afraid that I'm succumbing to my own "troll physics."

The first section is a SPDT switch, intended to toggle one input between two outputs, and vice versa.

It seems self-evident that, if wired as indicated, I could take an input from the jack on the right and toggle between the two outputs on the left. (and potentially vice versa?)

I'm willing to be wrong. I'm willing to require more parts. I'm not made of glass, so please let me know what you think, even if I'm being unbelievably ignorant.

But shouldn't this work? I'm using the following parts:

SPDT
http://akizukidenshi.com/download/1MS1T1B1M1QN.pdf
Kobiconn 3.5 inch jack
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/449/KC-300411-202203.pdf
keninverse
Yep, this will work and it is bidirectional. A multimeter set to continuity test would be of a lot of benefit in this situation. If you have one available set it it to continuity test (which sometimes looks like a radio signal) and test each switch position.
rimbod
Here goes the second section I think I may be being silly about. It's a bunch of one-input two-output mults.

It's based on this document: http://www.megaohmaudio.com/images/PassiveAttMult1.pdf

They're the same Kobiconn jacks as before.
rimbod
The last section is based on the same document as in the second section. It's passive attenuators.

As we are viewing things from the back, the input is on the right and the output is on the left.

Same Kobiconn jacks as above.
These are the attenuators:
http://akizukidenshi.com/download/Supertech_vr.pdf
They are 50K, as per recommendations from different threads on MW.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me, even it it's a simple confirmation or a lengthy explanation of how this shouldn't work.
rimbod
keninverse wrote:
Yep, this will work and it is bidirectional. A multimeter set to continuity test would be of a lot of benefit in this situation. If you have one available set it it to continuity test (which sometimes looks like a radio signal) and test each switch position.

Thank you. I'm going to be having my industrial arts teacher friend helping me out, and one of the things I'll be having him teach me is how to use/read a multimeter.
rimbod
Here's a photo for context.

Huh, it came in sideways. Weird.

So yeah. A lot of repetitive soldering.

If someone could comment on the other two wiring diagrams, I'd appreciate it.

Also, as a beginner, I'm a bit concerned about holding the soldering iron to the parts too long and rendering them useless. Is this a reasonable concern? I plan on using a 30 watt iron.
ClausF
All three circuits should work as expected, and all three are bi-directional.
Anywway, as someone before said: best for you to discover these things (and how switches work or how the switch on the jacks works etc. etc.) would be a mulitimeter. $20 from Amazon is ok, but look that it has a beep (an acustical sign if there's connection or not).

Anyway: I would connect all GNDs of all Jacks (like a metal faceplate), so you don't have to think about that anymore..

At the end a useful box....

And: check the Doepfer DIY page, that helps a lot: http://www.doepfer.de/DIY/a100_diy.htm
rimbod
ClausF wrote:

Phew! Thank you.

ClausF wrote:
Anyway: I would connect all GNDs of all Jacks (like a metal faceplate), so you don't have to think about that anymore..

I've seen in other threads people connecting all the grounds to one another. You suggest a separate piece of conductive metal?
ClausF
no, if I have a row of Jacks I use the residue wire of resitors for example and connect all the grounds with that (and a bit of solder). Or silver(ed) wire, that is used for jewellery and pretty cheap

And your jacks are pretty in row, just connect the grounds in the row, then connect the rows, and there you are, one big GND... At the end it's not better then your concept, it just keeps all the GND away from your thinking and you can concentrate on the signal flow.

I do it that way on modules, small (Lunetta) synths etc...
rimbod
ClausF wrote:
no, if I have a row of Jacks I use the residue wire of resitors for example and connect all the grounds with that (and a bit of solder). Or silver(ed) wire, that is used for jewellery and pretty cheap

And your jacks are pretty in row, just connect the grounds in the row, then connect the rows, and there you are, one big GND.

I'll keep that in mind. My soldering skill is fairly low, so I'm gonna just connect the grounds together for now. If there is a problem, though, I'll definitely follow your suggestion.

BTW, I did a prototype of the switch circuit, and it works! Hooray, electrons!
keninverse
Just get some 20-24AWG bare tinned copper buss wire.
controlFreak
With separate grounds you are less likely to run into funky interactions between unrelated circuits.

Good luck with your build!
snercle
Those switches can get a bit hot if you spend too long with the iron on them, so be sure to save them til last. Also be aware that passive multis won't stop the sources of your inputs from interfering with each other, which won't damage anything but sometimes one signal can overpower the other or change the behaviour of the source.
I tend to connect every ground, that way you know you can plug in external sources without losing ground reference.
If you're a guitar player you can use an old guitar string as ground bus wire.
Looks like fun.
rimbod
Wired up and tested all the switches. That's one thing down! I did that before the advice rolled in to do them last... but they all worked just fine when I tested them!

For now I'm just connecting all the grounds in a single unit, like all the grounds from the jacks in one switch are connected with one another and not to those of other switches. I figured that would minimize cross-interference between switches, if that's a thing. I may go back and do the guitar string thing later, though, if problems arise.

I'll post pics after the whole thing's done. Tomorrow I'll be doing the mults if I have time.
rimbod
Wired up the mults and attenuators today. It took some time, but it was really easy! I'll upload a picture when my phone isn't being so much of a jerk.

I was really surprised to find virtually no voltage drop when two outputs are writed out of the mults. I believe it was Heterodyne who first recommended me to build a ton of passive utilities, and I thank him for that.

If someone wants clear wiring diagrams and doesn't have much of a background in electronics diy, please feel free to direct them to the photos I uploaded above. Excellent soldering practice and easily achieved.
nigel
ClausF wrote:

NOT the attenuators! Feeding a signal into the output jack (instead of the input jack) will short it to ground if the attenuator is turned all the way down. (It's unlikely to break anything, but it can have undesirable effects.)
ClausF
Yep, your right, nigel. Was not aware of that, but after painting it and thinking about it... very frustrating
rimbod
nigel wrote:
NOT the attenuators!

I kindof had a feeling that was true, but now I know why. Thank you!
rimbod
Here ya go. Not the prettiest job, but it works well and I like the outside look.

Huh, second one came in sideways again. Whatever.

I'll upload another photo (not sideways) when I work it into a solid patch.
rimbod
I don't mean to draw attention to myself, but holy crow this box has turned out to be intensely useful.

I'd like to encourage folks to use this project as a way to get into soldering and figuring out how to use passive utilities in their rig.

Peace:)
Navs
Well done! thumbs up

Switches are great.
FetidEye
your wiring looks like an artwork! (hang it on the wall!)

cool SlayerBadger!
ClausF
rimbod wrote:
I don't mean to draw attention to myself, but holy crow this box has turned out to be intensely useful.
I'd like to encourage folks to use this project as a way to get into soldering and figuring out how to use passive utilities in their rig.
Peace:)

Absolutely, this is very useful and a very cool and simple first soldering project... Guinness ftw!
rimbod
Hey. Gonna make one of those switches in a four-hole 1U pulp logic panel. Will report back with pix.
rimbod
Oh darn. Help plz.

So this is the back...

And this is the front...

And it's only throwing to the light brown wire (the black cable) no matter which direction the switch is.

This is what I get for not keeping up with soldering, but I plan to do a _lot_ over the next two weeks, so you might understand how this might feel discouraging.

Aside from my feeble human emotions, tho, what do you think has gone wrong?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2