MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Found Sounds and old tape recorders
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Found Sounds and old tape recorders
bwandice
Hi, Ive been messing around a lot with old tape recorders I have found around my house and have been taking one wherever I go, but when I find a sound that I really want to capture, the tapes sometimes peak easily, or gather too many of the sounds around the particular thing im capturing (within a big noisy city). You guys have any techniques for getting quality recordings out of cheap recorders?

A small cheap portable recorder with a mic in would be ideal I suppose, but have yet to come across one.
Just me
If you are using cassette, Realistic had a few nice ones with built in mics and vari-speed.

I love the fri/sat ad here.
http://www.rewindmuseum.com/reeltoreelaudio.htm
LEVLHED
the new Zoom H1

unless you really want analog/tape
bastille
As for the problem of not being able to isolate certain things, if you're into this enough to spend a little bit there are great solutions. You want a mic that'll reject sound from certain directions, honing in on where you're pointing it. Hyper/supercardioid patterns, particularly, and to a lesser degree, cardioid microphones will give you that.

For less money, well, you gotta use your body as a sound buffer! If you're dealing with a recorder with just a built in mic and no controls for peak reduction, you've really just got to think about where you place the thing; what can you use to block certain sounds, what distance gets a level that balances between too low (noisy!) and too high (clipping) and go with it. IMO doing field recording with very limited capability equipment, the limits of the recorder become part of the sound.
vgaforest
there's a pretty cool blog devoted to field recording at http://www.sonic-terrain.com/
they have some pretty cool ideas.
MW-Lurker
vgaforest wrote:
there's a pretty cool blog devoted to field recording at http://www.sonic-terrain.com/
they have some pretty cool ideas.

Very cool. Thanks for the link
fengland
I've been using a marantz pmd 430 for most of my recording needs - it sounds about as good as a tape is going to imo.
lilakmonoke
Quote:
I've been using a marantz pmd 430 for most of my recording needs - it sounds about as good as a tape is going to imo.

exactly, its actually better than some reeltoreel machines! they are about 100 euro in europe and called "cp-430". this is a 3 head machine so you can abuse it as a live tapecho ... there is even a mono version (2track) which should sound even better but its rare.

dont tell the ebay hounds please! haha
slightly OT but, old porta-studios make nifty multi-track loopers if you put an answering machine tape in 'em SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1