MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

any good books to recommend about mixing, recording...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author any good books to recommend about mixing, recording...
de_raaf
i feel the need to get a better understand and mastering the basics better for recording, mixing, compression etc

prefer a book, easier to read and reread, a good reference , but pdf stuff is ok too (analog and also digital recording)

i mostly record at home into a emu 1212m,
using soundforge and a older version of cool edit
probably gonna try reaper
i find most daws a bit too confusion(, did use sonar for a while, haven't tried much others,
just need a good program for recording, multitracking, etc that may be better than what i use now. any that are an ease to use

gonna start recording soon for my first lp, and want at least get it sound decent/good with the stuff i have. i need to become more knowledgeable about beforehand. (most of the recording will happen at home)

all recommendations welcome
zerosum
This one is enjoyable and very fluid like a conversation would be as apposed to reading a technical manual:
http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com

Then there is Mastering Audio by Bob Katz which is a bit like reading a technical manual:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Audio-Art-Science-Book/dp/0240805453
zerosum
Quote:
i find most daws a bit too confusion(, did use sonar for a while, haven't tried much others,
just need a good program for recording, multitracking, etc that may be better than what i use now. any that are an ease to use

They confuse me as well, its quite embarassing oops
I have tried/used most of them out there and I suck at them and spend more time trying to figure out how to use the program than making music.
I do kick ass with pro tools though because it has been pounded into my head,
If you get a pro tools system I can send you a bunch good useful info(I would like to teach pro tools someday when I find someone that actually wants to hire me, so I have compiled a really nice set of notes/tips and tricks)
Babaluma
yeah the one's zerosum mentions are the only audio books i kept after my big sell off. i've read them both numerous times and they always tyeach me something new.

but you can learn a lot more from just practising and browsing forums like tapeop.
parasitk
Absolutely the two Zerosum recommended and I'll add a Tape Op subscription (it's free!).
de_raaf
gonna order these books soon!
thanks a lot!!!
bar|none
I heartily recommend this book

Mixing Audio
Roey Izhaki

This is the book that really brought my understanding to the next level. A+ and very up to date. It's very readable and I find myself always referring back to it.

I have the Bob Katz book but I find it too dedicated to the idiosyncracies of Mastering to redbook CD.

"Mixing Audio" will make you understand stuff like how to really use a compressor properly and understand exactly how to get the most out of it.

I'm going to have to check out "mixing with your mind" though. Looks good.
zerosum
de_raaf wrote:
gonna order these books soon!
thanks a lot!!!

Your welcome! Happy to help thumbs up
Mixing Audio and Mastering Audio! Great books.

After reading them I can recommend The Mixing Engineer's Handbook -> http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Engineers-Handbook-Second/dp/1598632515

I've not read Mixing with your mind, but it looks interesting.
johnnywoods
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Mixing-Mix-Pro-Audio/dp/0918371171

this one is nice, especially if you're more of a visual learner/ thinker. It proposes an interesting approach to mixing that simplifies a lot of the techie stuff...

and on the opposite side of the spectrum: Audio in Media by Stanley Alten is an incredible reference manual for all types of audio (not just music, although that is covered as well). Everything from acoustics, to monitors, to mixing, to sound design. I use it as a textbook for every single audio class I teach. Pricey, but worthwhile imo.
slovo
de_raaf wrote:
...using soundforge and a older version of cool edit
probably gonna try reaper
just need a good program for recording, multitracking, etc that may be better than what i use now. any that are an ease to use...

I heard you, fella... I've never used anything as efficient as CEP for simple (and sometimes not so simple) wave editing... for the heavy stuff I used to break out Wavelab, but neither program works (literally) for me anymore. :( If CEP is working for you, though, I'd stick with that, and for multitracking, you should seriously consider Ableton Live. The heavy versions are pretty overpriced, and it's a little counterintuitive to us old headz but it's actually quite easy; the non-destructive approach to multitrack arranging is awesome, everyone is still scrambling to match their automation efficiency, and I have never seen a product of any type (ok cept maybe Windows) with better online support. If you can't figure out how to do most recording tasks in Live after an afternoon on Youtube, you're not trying hard enough.

If anyone has any advice on a simple, fairly cheap wave editor, I'm all ears, too. Some of these newer apps may have what we want, but after about 5 minutes of hunting through menus, I never wanted to use any of them ever again. Curse you, Adobe!!! Err, I mean, good for the CEP guy, selling us out like that... wink
a100user
Based on the recommendation above - Mixing with your mind - I ordered a copy. Great book, easy to read yet probably will take years to get all the ideas working in my workflow.
wobblewomp
01010110 wrote:
Mixing Audio and Mastering Audio! Great books.

After reading them I can recommend The Mixing Engineer's Handbook -> http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Engineers-Handbook-Second/dp/1598632515

I've not read Mixing with your mind, but it looks interesting.

this is a great read too smile
blungo2
just another weigh in for "mixing with your mind", i'm not quite done with it but really enjoying it.

i'm also enjoying "remix: breaking the barriers with reaper" (published by lulu). i'm learning a lot fron this one as well, although it's pretty reaper specific. i think for the very basics of mixing, it may be a more appropriate intro for some than mixing with your mind.

i also plan on checking out "the art of mixing".
TWINSTATES
Mixing with your mind is AMAZING!

I can't recommend it enough.

What I love is that he's really into finding ways of getting the best sounds, maximum power from your recordings!

Some of it isn't relevant to electronic stuff such as modular gear however there is so much goodness in this book ti should be a must read for anyone who is serious about mixing good sounding music.

It made me better.

Also some of the other books mentioned are good, the mix engineers handbook is a decent read and you will get some good stuff out of it...

Another left of field ting, more for ideas / composition / thinking about how people perceive music and then how you create it is Daniel Letivin's Your Brain on music. It's excellent

Regarding using a daw.

Try Ableton, it's got built in lessons, everything is simple yet can be very complex if you want and honestly, anyone could use that program, partly because it walks you through setting it up, recording, making beats. The lot.

The people on the ableton forum www.ableton.com/forum are pretty helpful as well (same sort of vibe as here).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1