MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

yet another 808 kick clone PCB set
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author yet another 808 kick clone PCB set
falafelbiels
Hi guys,

Some of you may have noticed my 808 snare clone PCB sets which have been doing alright. To follow up on that, there are now kicks as well.
they go BOOOOOMMMmmmmm.

I have ordered a very small batch today so some will soon be available again at €25,- per PCB set (+p&p).
this is the place that you can find the BOM for it and stuff like that.

the Beast has been working on some panels for these too.

Got these in today

And there's the hihat as well.
Click

these and the snares and hihats are now available from Synthcube:

klik
raveboyy
Hi, what schematic did you folow? ...if it is not a secret 8_)
falafelbiels
No secret. I started off from eric Archers good work. Then I added some circuitry for proper triggering and sequencing, namely some. Comparators and a logic gate.
Note the "go" button, important.
raveboyy
Quote:
I added some circuitry for proper triggering and sequencing

Do you mean the =diode,cap,resistor combo= from his web too? ..or something similar?

Quote:
Note the "go" button, important.

Is the button just connected to +ve supply close to the trigger input?

I`m going to build this from his schematic too...just the legs` numbers on his pots are quite confusing smile
falafelbiels
raveboyy

This is what is on the panelcomponentboard (plus the pots of course)

falafelbiels
Little demo with the kick, snare and my very first and very grainy sounding hihat .

https://soundcloud.com/falafel-biels/kik8-demo-recording

https://soundcloud.com/falafel-biels/boom
falafelbiels
Received some new board sets yesterday. Stocked for a while...
falafelbiels
Received some panels from forummember julian today (The Beast)

euromorcego
are the pots linear, as for the snare?
falafelbiels
Yep all are linear.
euromorcego
ok, thanks! Just now got around to ordering part. Capacitors (other than electrolytic) are a mix of film box and the polyester mylar from Tayda. Is that correct? I am trying to go after the pictures (and BOM, of course), but it's sometimes hard to see.
falafelbiels
I have built a fair amount of these kicks and I believe that in this circuit it doesn't matter much what type capacitor you put in where. In the snare and hihat you may want to solder in some "greenies" in the filter and oscillator bits.
But also in those, anything will work.

falafelbiels
these and the snares and hihats are now available from Synthcube:

klik
duff
I have just got round to wiring some panel components up to my pair of bass drums pcbs and have had a chance to test them out. Unfortunately they both seem to exhibit the same issue. Whilst I can dial in some boom using the decay and tune pots this is almost hidden by the sound of the trigger (or accent whether triggering or not) CV clicking away. The tone pot appears not to do anything either, or I can't tell because the trigger click drowns it out.

I can't see anything obviously wrong, the trannies appear to be in the right places, and I have swapped in a new 358 and new 072 but this made no difference.

It might be worth noting that the -ve rail on my PSU was playing up when I first tested the boards - could this have killed the trannies? Also I currently have nothing connected across the button, but I am assuming that won't matter.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.
duff
I have one of my snares up and running too now and I seem to have the same issue on that as well hmmm.....

I get a click on the pulse on and the pulse off - I can hear this on both the trigger when the drums fires and the accent which obviously does not trigger the bass drum or snare sound.

The length of the drum envelope on both appears to be dependent on the pulse width - it that correct?
falafelbiels
Hard to say. You wired it to an alternative panel, right? Do you happen to have some good pictures of it?
Did you wire up the pushbutton?

The tone pot adds attack to the sound so it makes sense that if you mostly hear a click in the first place the effect isn't audible.

The -ve rail acting up may mean you have a shortcircuit going on.
duff
The -ve rail was definitely the power supply. It was one I had built on really nasty cheap perfboard that had disintegrated and was shorting across the 7912.

I haven't got a button wired in yet, but I tried shorting across it on the snare pcb and got a lovely 808 snare sound with none of the dc thud I get when using the trigger so I guess that limits where I may have a problem.
falafelbiels
The pushbuttons are diode gated with the trigger input. I hope that is of any help. The trouble should be in the frontpanelboard which is good, beacause it is pretty simple.
Have you seen the schematic of it?

falafelbiels
Oh shit, that accent in is NOT normalled to V+ Like the schematic says
duff
Thanks for the schematic - I had a quick check over what I have done and nothing jumped out as wrong. Unfortunately I am now banned from sdiy until the end of the festive season so an investigation will have to wait.
falafelbiels
What's festive about it then?
duff
Turns out all my CV thump issue were down to the fact I hadn't connected an earth to my jack board. d'oh!
falafelbiels
There you go...

thumbs up

Works now eh?
acilator
I finally got to build the 808 kick. It went well but when I put it in my rack and tried it out I found a problem.
Every time it's triggered it sounds different, longer/shorter decay and volume changes.. It's the same when I trigger it from a trigger or from the trigger button.

Anybody an idea what I did wrong or where is start to measure.
falafelbiels
Oh shit!

Does this also happen with a short decay setting?

I know that with overlapping notes on long decay settings it can get a bit wild. I suppose that that is why the original tr-808 didn't have rediculous long decay.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3