New Pic of Tip Top Stackjacks (via twitter)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:54 am

cbm wrote: b - Given the custom nature of these, this price seems fairly reasonable, to me.
+1

what are the available cable lenghts ?
all same price ?

otto_tsr
Common Wiggler

Post by otto_tsr » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:33 am

daaaamn, i want want want want waaaaant some cables!!! yarrrrrgh.

dbuyense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dbuyense » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:40 pm

I don't understand how $8 is expensive.
I made an image of 2 stack cables ($16) vs doepfer multiple ($45 + 4hp real estate). I'm not a digital artist but this windows paint pic should explain what I'm talking about.Image[/img]

Soundwave
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Soundwave » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:45 pm

dbuyense wrote:I don't understand how $8 is expensive.
I made an image of 2 stack cables ($16) vs doepfer multiple ($45 + 4hp real estate). I'm not a digital artist but this windows paint pic should explain what I'm talking about.Image[/img]
true :tu:

ST UF FLI N EAR
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ST UF FLI N EAR » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:19 pm

all cables i have are doepfers and are €2,50 a piece, which is like 5 dollars.
8 dollars is a very good price i think (when it'll be 4 euro) :hihi:
probably not,
but anyway, the price is fair.
as shown above.

Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Veqtor » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:39 pm

ST UF FLI N EAR wrote:8 dollars is a very good price i think (when it'll be 4 euro) :hihi:
I'm afraid it's probably going to be more like €8... :doh:
Which is why I'm ordering mine from AH...

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:48 am

Funky40 wrote: what are the available cable lenghts ?
all same price ?
anybody ?
i could not find infos, sorry

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:25 am

Funky40 wrote:
Funky40 wrote: what are the available cable lenghts ?
all same price ?
anybody ?
i could not find infos, sorry
:hmm:

money bags
eat the rich

Post by money bags » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:29 am

if you want _____ or ___________ or ________________________
they are all the same $$$

mateo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mateo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:40 pm

The actual length of wire is a very small part of the cost; it's mostly the connector, so I imagine it's simpler just to sell them all at the same price

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:43 pm

Well, sure - they are quite expensive. I ordered a bunch, btw BUT, I was able to find pomona banana cables for under $5. These are $8, regardless of length.

Now that says nothing about how expensive they are to make in small runs - I'm sure that Pomona is making them in much larger quantities, but the fact is - these are meant to bring a banana cable like functionality to eurorack, and they are much more expensive than banana cables (at least what you can get the banana cables for at some places).

dbuyense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dbuyense » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:43 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
Well, sure - they are quite expensive. I ordered a bunch, btw BUT, I was able to find pomona banana cables for under $5. These are $8, regardless of length.

Now that says nothing about how expensive they are to make in small runs - I'm sure that Pomona is making them in much larger quantities, but the fact is - these are meant to bring a banana cable like functionality to eurorack, and they are much more expensive than banana cables (at least what you can get the banana cables for at some places).
Bananas aren't standard to eurorack though. The only thing comparable that is available are multiples or converting all your modules jacks to banana.Compared to those two options these are a hell of a deal.
Banana connectors are manufactured in large amounts by many companys in competition with each other not just in the synthesizer world.These on the other hand are being produced by a small company that can't take the risk of manufacturing in that much bulk and I'm sure tip top is releasing these as inexpensively as he possibly can while still being able to make a small profit. I don't think these were ever meant to replace all your cables , you don't need a ton of them to utilize there full potential in your system. I think 1/5 stack cables and 4/5 normal cables is a good ratio even that is a probably way too many stack cables.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:50 am

dbuyense wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:

Bananas aren't standard to eurorack though. The only thing comparable that is available are multiples or converting all your modules jacks to banana.Compared to those two options these are a hell of a deal.
Banana connectors are manufactured in large amounts by many companys in competition with each other not just in the synthesizer world.These on the other hand are being produced by a small company that can't take the risk of manufacturing in that much bulk and I'm sure tip top is releasing these as inexpensively as he possibly can while still being able to make a small profit. I don't think these were ever meant to replace all your cables , you don't need a ton of them to utilize there full potential in your system. I think 1/5 stack cables and 4/5 normal cables is a good ratio even that is a probably way too many stack cables.
Really? Banana cables aren't standard to eurorack? Goddamn - thanks for the info!

I didn't say that the price was unreasonable...read what I fucking said. I said that they were expensive, and obviously the context is that they are expensive for cables. They simply are. If you go to another format, on which these cables are based, the cables are much less expensive. That doesn't man that they are 'overpriced' - simply that they are expensive.

I mean, the Macbeth M5 - it's expensive. It's hard to deny that it's expensive. Is it worth the money - different question entirely. Is the price partially a factor of the fact that it's made in small quantities? Of course. Does all of this mean that it's not expensive? Of course not.

Don't bend over backwards to deny the obvious by justifying something that doesn't need justification. I'm glad these cables are here. They are fucking expensive. I don't BLAME the manufacturer, or AH, or anyone for that. That's the way it is.

TrashWaveform
Flesh Eating Angel

Post by TrashWaveform » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:44 pm

"Well, if you were never born, it wouldn't be your fucking birthday." - droolmaster0 aka Nelson Baboon

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:50 pm

It's rare to find someone who covers all of the 'frivolous poster' bases. Congrats! Silly pictures, dumb jokes, bad logic, hostility without content, mindless trolling - it's all there, in one easy package. A $9.99 value - but if you order now, you get 2 for the price of one. Our operators are standing by.

TrashWaveform
Flesh Eating Angel

Post by TrashWaveform » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:55 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:
It's rare to find someone who covers all of the 'frivolous poster' bases. Congrats! Silly pictures, dumb jokes, bad logic, hostility without content, mindless trolling - it's all there, in one easy package. A $9.99 value - but if you order now, you get 2 for the price of one. Our operators are standing by.
So you don't think you over reacted a few posts up? You freaked out in a topic over an $8 cable. I am really not going to fight you on this one. Walking away...
"Well, if you were never born, it wouldn't be your fucking birthday." - droolmaster0 aka Nelson Baboon

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:02 pm

TrashWaveform wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
So you don't think you over reacted a few posts up? You freaked out in a topic over an $8 cable. I am really not going to fight you on this one. Walking away...
$8 for a cable?! Damn, that's expensive.

emergencyofstate
Synthesist

Post by emergencyofstate » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:06 pm

The jerk store called and they're running out of you.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:28 pm

If you are talking expensive you have to talk Monster -

On sale $16.99 down from $19.96.
And that is just a 1/8" to 1/8" cable with no stacking. It is Stereo though...
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

TrashWaveform
Flesh Eating Angel

Post by TrashWaveform » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:43 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:If you are talking expensive you have to talk Monster -

On sale $16.99 down from $19.96.
And that is just a 1/8" to 1/8" cable with no stacking. It is Stereo though...
I love Monster and use them for most of my cables except patch cables. With their price tags you get quality and if it gets the slightest noise Monster will give you a new replacement cable at no extra cost. Comes in handy especially if you play live and everyone is always stomping on your cables.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 pm

The copper in the wire has also been massaged between the breasts of nubile Amazon princesses, increasing electron flow gradients that gently enhance midrange electromagnetic curvatures for bettern amplitude divergence.

TrashWaveform
Flesh Eating Angel

Post by TrashWaveform » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:12 pm

suboptimal wrote:The copper in the wire has also been massaged between the breasts of nubile Amazon princesses, increasing electron flow gradients that gently enhance midrange electromagnetic curvatures for bettern amplitude divergence.
The gold tips are also mined from a distance planet by an intergalactic prison chain gang. There be blood in those cables.

dbuyense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dbuyense » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:21 pm

droolmaster0 wrote: Really? Banana cables aren't standard to eurorack? Goddamn - thanks for the info!

I didn't say that the price was unreasonable...read what I fucking said. I said that they were expensive, and obviously the context is that they are expensive for cables. They simply are. If you go to another format, on which these cables are based, the cables are much less expensive. That doesn't man that they are 'overpriced' - simply that they are expensive.

I mean, the Macbeth M5 - it's expensive. It's hard to deny that it's expensive. Is it worth the money - different question entirely. Is the price partially a factor of the fact that it's made in small quantities? Of course. Does all of this mean that it's not expensive? Of course not.

Don't bend over backwards to deny the obvious by justifying something that doesn't need justification. I'm glad these cables are here. They are fucking expensive. I don't BLAME the manufacturer, or AH, or anyone for that. That's the way it is.
:eek:
You quoted me with your opinion so I responded with my opinion.I don't think they are expensive and you do. I'm not attacking your intelligence , I assumed you knew that banana isn't standard in eurorack and most do. This is a public forum and there might be people out there reading that don't know that banana isn't standard so I put it up there to support my opinion.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:29 pm

It's not actually simply a war of opinions. I tried to explain to you what it was that I said, what it meant, and why I said it. You responded with your opinion, which had little to do with what I said. One thing which helps prevents people simply posting their opinions is to actually listen and respond to what is actually being said, the distinctions that are being, made, etc.

dbuyense wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote: Really? Banana cables aren't standard to eurorack? Goddamn - thanks for the info!

:eek:
You quoted me with your opinion so I responded with my opinion.I don't think they are expensive and you do. I'm not attacking your intelligence , I assumed you knew that banana isn't standard in eurorack and most do. This is a public forum and there might be people out there reading that don't know that banana isn't standard so I put it up there to support my opinion.

midiwall
Common Wiggler

Post by midiwall » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:01 pm

suboptimal wrote:The copper in the wire has also been massaged between the breasts of nubile Amazon princesses, increasing electron flow gradients that gently enhance midrange electromagnetic curvatures for better amplitude divergence.
And, add in the cost of writing the manual...

:D
:: Mark

Return to “Eurorack Modules”