Anyone done business with "tonetweakers.com"

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

freeyerheel
Veteran Wiggler

Anyone done business with "tonetweakers.com"

Post by freeyerheel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:55 am

just wondering if these guys are legit they seem a bit shady to me but i really know nothing about em, just that they have lusty synths for sell all the time, anyone bought anything from them?

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:59 am

They're legit. VERY high prices, but you get what you pay for.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:01 am

Never bought but have spoken to them on a couple of oocasions- from my experience they are very hard to pin down on a price and seem to want an auction on everything they have listed without a price- I think they have the items it just doesnt seem easy getting hold of them. I gave up.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:07 am

tIB wrote:Never bought but have spoken to them on a couple of oocasions- from my experience they are very hard to pin down on a price and seem to want an auction on everything they have listed without a price- I think they have the items it just doesnt seem easy getting hold of them. I gave up.
My experience too. They seem nice enough and have some great stuff, they just seem to want to find filthy rich people that are obsessed with some peice of gear and that will keep offering higher and higher bids (bidding against no one but themselves) until they happen to make an offer that can't be refused! :mrgreen:

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:08 am

I def think they're catering to the wrong crowd. They'd rather sell to collectors than musicians who will actually USE the items.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

AntManBee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AntManBee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:18 am

I bought my EML Electrocomp 101 from Mini at Tonetweakers and he was great to deal with. Everything he sells is fully serviced so no nasty surprises (and with vintage synths nasty surprises can be very expensive, so that's a factor when considering Tonetweaker's prices, which are definitely at the high end).

Mini is passionate about vintage synths as well as music and is certainly not a typical dealer so, whilst it's inevitable that markets get inflated by collectors, I know that Mini's aim is to deal with musicians.

dougt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dougt » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:03 am

What I don't like is when he goes around saying he's the only person selling a reliable vintage synth. Just BS to try to get people to pay his high prices.

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:09 pm

dougt wrote:What I don't like is when he goes around saying he's the only person selling a reliable vintage synth. Just BS to try to get people to pay his high prices.
This. Also I noticed in his email that he was selling a number of synths with listed issues. Why would anyone want to buy those? I figure that if he can't/doesn't want to fix them why would I hope that it would ever get fixed?

Unless he is just lazy. I've seen a lot of broken synths go for dumb prices on Ebay lately and maybe he thinks why bother when he can get almost new prices for them.

dougcl
Number 6

Post by dougcl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:18 pm

I have sold him some stuff, and no problems. He is a member here too. "minime123" I think.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:24 pm

computer controlled wrote:I def think they're catering to the wrong crowd. They'd rather sell to collectors than musicians who will actually USE the items.
Has anyone actually met one of these people who everyone keeps claiming is buying vintage gear and never turning it on. Maybe they exist, but it sounds like baloney to me.

Cheers,
Brian

richard
bananaphile

Post by richard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:28 pm

Yes.
Bastard Science Vol.1 and 2 (Hordik, Buchla, Serge, EMS, Oberheim) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-1
https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-2

Tales from the Voodoo Box (EMS Synthi A solos) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ynthesiser

Richard Scott - Several Circles https://cuspeditions.bandcamp.com/album ... al-circles

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:32 pm

i know of a guy in tokyo (my friend is close friends with him) who owns a clothing brand and loves music, and owns a ridiculous amount of to-die-for gear (including a large moog modular), and doesn't know how to use any of it. however, he is allowing musician friends access to it, in return for teaching him how to use it all. no problem there i reckon.

another of the same friend's acquaintances, is an older rich salary man synth collector. he owns four like new SCI prophet 5's, all of which are stored under glass in a special room, and each of which has a different (and only ever one) preset loaded for the rare times when he feels like switching it on...

there are some right weirdos out there, but i can be the same way with rare books...

shamann
_

Post by shamann » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:35 pm

bwhittington wrote:Has anyone actually met one of these people who everyone keeps claiming is buying vintage gear and never turning it on. Maybe they exist, but it sounds like baloney to me.
Not synths, but I've met people who do this with guitars.

dadek
hrrmmm...

Post by dadek » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:58 pm

I've bought a few pieces I was to nervous to get anywhere else. Expensive, but I got what I wanted in great working condition. Those pieces were bought at least three years ago and all still work great.

CalvaryBand
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CalvaryBand » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:30 pm

bwhittington wrote:
computer controlled wrote:I def think they're catering to the wrong crowd. They'd rather sell to collectors than musicians who will actually USE the items.
Has anyone actually met one of these people who everyone keeps claiming is buying vintage gear and never turning it on. Maybe they exist, but it sounds like baloney to me.

Cheers,
Brian
I have met a few. These are generally people who love music from the synth hey day (70's-80's) and have a lot of money.

moogah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moogah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:30 pm

dougt wrote:What I don't like is when he goes around saying he's the only person selling a reliable vintage synth. Just BS to try to get people to pay his high prices.
+1

I'd like to avoid hammering on the guy (he does seem like a decent fellow) but this gets under my skin too. When they have essentially 'common' analogs listed for twice the going rate (or more!) simply because they're still working.. Bah.

I've only bought one synth which ended up having problems while I owned it, it's hard not to imagine the retired guy who just likes to look at his gear and doesn't care what the price tag was.

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:49 pm

bwhittington wrote:

Cheers,
Brian
I've seen a ton of posts all over by people who want mint pieces for collecting purposes. They will pay stupid prices, and this in turn drives prices up. I'm convinced this is partially to blame for sudden surge in prices, especially the Roland boxes.

moogah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moogah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:53 pm

computer controlled wrote: I've seen a ton of posts all over by people who want mint pieces for collecting purposes. They will pay stupid prices, and this in turn drives prices up. I'm convinced this is partially to blame for sudden surge in prices, especially the Roland boxes.
Particularly when someone is out there buying up all the gear so he can have a tech look at it and then sell it for double..

/rant :deadbanana: (still pissed at how much the JP6 ended up costing)

freeyerheel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by freeyerheel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:34 pm

thanks for all your replies what i garner from all this is that he wants the most out of it, which is understandable, but if he is on here as a wiggler maybe he should put a few on here for us at a cost that he has listed, some seem reasonable, after all even us wigglers have to be pinned down on the price of the item, i guess thats why he has a website, so he can get offer after offer. it does seem a bit hordish but i guess if it was anything else i wouldnt mind, its just when your passionate about something its easy to get annoyed. it makes me really respect those who offer stuff here for us through pay pal, my hats off to you guys who put stuff up for what you paid for it for or in a reasonable ball park for someone else to enjoy, and hopefully that person does the same, thats the great thing about this site and why this form is the best form ive ever been apart of, seems like most here are really genuinely interested in seeing others "get it" and after all synths do have alot of mystic so to everyone here thanks for sharing your passion, know how, and insight!

Paraphonique
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Paraphonique » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:50 pm

shamann wrote:Not synths, but I've met people who do this with guitars.
Three words : Paul Reed Smith.

-P
///////////////////////////////////////////
http://soundcloud.com/paraphonique

Latest vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRJJKHdZopM

minime123
buy/sell/trade

Post by minime123 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:35 pm

hey guys.

mini from tonetweakers here. i just discovered this thread. first of all, anyone who has doubts about us is welcome to email me directly and ill be glad to provide an extensive list of hundreds of verifiable references from happy customers.

i wanted to address comments that some of you made, in order.

computer controlled wrote:
"They're legit. VERY high prices, but you get what you pay for."

thanks. :) if people knew the amount of time, love and money we put into most of the items we sell, they would likely think our prices were fair.

tIB wrote:
"Never bought but have spoken to them on a couple of oocasions- from my experience they are very hard to pin down on a price and seem to want an auction on everything they have listed without a price- I think they have the items it just doesnt seem easy getting hold of them. I gave up."

we have set prices for most of our items. its generally very rare items that we have trouble pricing. like most of you here, synths are our passion. we love nearly all the instruments we stock. if we dont have a set price for an item, its likely we are attached to it and don't really want to sell it due to difficulty finding another to replace it, but would consider it if we got a cash offer we couldn't refuse or, better yet, got a trade offer for a similarly rare item that we're looking to add to our studio. we would rather have a rare synth we can use for years than money that'll be gone a lot sooner.

johnlrice wrote:
"My experience too. They seem nice enough and have some great stuff, they just seem to want to find filthy rich people that are obsessed with some peice of gear and that will keep offering higher and higher bids (bidding against no one but themselves) until they happen to make an offer that can't be refused!"

if i remember correctly, you were asking about really rare stuff itd be hard for anyone to put a price on. i believe one item you asked about was one of only 25 or so made, and who knows how many are still in existence? we dont need "higher and higher bids", we would rather just get a single offer we can't refuse. im sorry if you were put off by that.

computer controlled wrote:
"I def think they're catering to the wrong crowd. They'd rather sell to collectors than musicians who will actually USE the items."

some people wrongly assume that its mostly collectors who are paying us top dollar for items that they never use. this just isnt the case. most of our customers are hard-working musicians who want vintage synths that work right when they get them, which is rare on todays market, given the fact that many 40 year old synths that turn up for sale haven't been serviced in decades. we are proud to have many famous musicians and producers as customers and love it when machines we've restored are used on great recordings appreciated by millions of fans. we dont invest many hours restoring machines for customers so they can just sit idle on a shelf.

antmanbee wrote:
"I bought my EML Electrocomp 101 from Mini at Tonetweakers and he was great to deal with. Everything he sells is fully serviced so no nasty surprises (and with vintage synths nasty surprises can be very expensive, so that's a factor when considering Tonetweaker's prices, which are definitely at the high end). Mini is passionate about vintage synths as well as music and is certainly not a typical dealer so, whilst it's inevitable that markets get inflated by collectors, I know that Mini's aim is to deal with musicians."

hey antmanbee! thanks for the kind words. :) we dont service "everything" we sell, but do service the vast majority of our items, and often go above and beyond what most other dealers would do when it comes to servicing our items. our goal is generally to provide our customers with items that work perfectly when they get them and will continue to work reliably in the future. there are rare occasions where we sell items that arent fully funtional, but we are careful to disclose any defects to our customers before a sale. there are a couple reasons we might sell an item in a less than fully functional state. 1: the cost for us to restore that item to full funtionality is too high relative to the sale price to justify it. 2: our tech is overworked and we need to invest tech time in items that will generate enough money to stay in business or, very rarely, 3: we arent interested in working on the item in question due to difficulty or parts aren't available.

dougt said:
"What I don't like is when he goes around saying he's the only person selling a reliable vintage synth. Just BS to try to get people to pay his high prices."

this is completely false. i never said im the only person selling a reliable vintage synth. im sure there are other sellers who sell reliable products. what i do know is this: i *personally* have never dealt with any other seller who is as thorough in the preparation of their items as we are with ours. this doesnt mean they dont exist. i personally spend many hours systematically testing and retesting most of the items we sell. the *typical* seller on todays market doesnt know enough about their item to properly test it and accurately describe it, and/or they brush off what are often significant problems with statements like "works good...dot dot dot...for a 40 year old synth" i am sure there are other forum members here that know their synths well enough to accurately represent them, but there are plenty of sellers today who dont. and then there are those who might know their instruments well but dont pack them well enough to get them to the buyer intact. but again, this isnt to say other reliable sellers (and packers) dont exist.

noobyscooby wrote:
"Also I noticed in his email that he was selling a number of synths with listed issues. Why would anyone want to buy those? I figure that if he can't/doesn't want to fix them why would I hope that it would ever get fixed? Unless he is just lazy. I've seen a lot of broken synths go for dumb prices on Ebay lately and maybe he thinks why bother when he can get almost new prices for them."

im not sure which items you're specifically talking about. the vast majority of our items are serviced to be fully functional before we sell them.
up until now, only a few of our items are being sold or have been sold as needing repairs. those that come to mind are: paia modular modules, being sold as is because our initial investment plus our cost to repair them would exceed their worth and most paia buyers are DIYers who can handle (and enjoy) what usually are quite simple repairs. linn 9000 drum machines: we put 2 of these on the market recently. one was sold, the other is still available. we decided not to repair these because they had acid damage which is quite time consuming to repair the right way (so it doesnt recur) and we just dont use linn 9000s personally and dont want to invest the time learning how to use a complex machine that we have no personal interest in and dont intend to continue to stock. there may be a couple other cases, but, like i said, we generally sell items that are 100% working and when they arent, we are careful to describe them accurately. and no, we are not lazy, at all. i often work 16 hour days. lazy people dont do that.

dougcl wrote:
"I have sold him some stuff, and no problems. He is a member here too. "minime123" I think."

yes indeed, hi doug! :)

dadek wrote:
"I've bought a few pieces I was to nervous to get anywhere else. Expensive, but I got what I wanted in great working condition. Those pieces were bought at least three years ago and all still work great."

im not sure who you are from your user name, but thanks for vouching for us. :)

moogah said:
"I'd like to avoid hammering on the guy (he does seem like a decent fellow) but this gets under my skin too. When they have essentially 'common' analogs listed for twice the going rate (or more!) simply because they're still working.. Bah. I've only bought one synth which ended up having problems while I owned it, it's hard not to imagine the retired guy who just likes to look at his gear and doesn't care what the price tag was."

first of all, thanks for noticing i am indeed a decent fellow. :D i wonder what vintage synths youve purchased to have only had one which had problems. generally, the older the synth, the more problematic its going to be if it hasnt been serviced in recent times, and the american stuff is usually far more problematic than japanese stuff. also, few vintage synths these days are "still working". they usually need to be serviced in order to be fully working again. as for us selling common analogs for twice the going rate (or more), some of them are priced right at current high market value, some of them are priced higher. many people expect to pay more when they buy from a reputable dealer than they would when they buy from an average seller who hasnt got a long history of providing a high quality product. anyway, our prices depend on a number of factors. we usually take into account the maximum prices we see typical sellers getting for their items (most of which likely need of servicing, based on what we've experienced with similar purchases we've made and what we've heard from customers who've bought many of those items from other sellers) and then factor in the amount of time and money we spend working on those units. just taking apart an item and doing a thorough cleaning inside and out can take many hours, and then there are other servicing requirements which often take a significant amount of time and cost us a significant amount of money. we dont do this to ALL our items, but these days, the majority of older items we sell are properly cleaned and serviced, and, as already mentioned, are almost always thoroughly tested and are accurately represented. as for "the retired guy who just likes to look at his gear and doesnt care what the price tag was" that you mention, most of our customers are working musicians and are not retired.

computer controlled said:
"I've seen a ton of posts all over by people who want mint pieces for collecting purposes. They will pay stupid prices, and this in turn drives prices up. I'm convinced this is partially to blame for sudden surge in prices, especially the Roland boxes."

the people i know who have driven prices up are generally very successful musicians who use the items they buy on their records.

moogah said:
"Particularly when someone is out there buying up all the gear so he can have a tech look at it and then sell it for double.. /rant (still pissed at how much the JP6 ended up costing)"

im not sure if youre talking about me here, but, if you are, we are not "buying up all the gear". also, i personally spend a great deal of time with nearly every instrument that passes through here, testing it and coming up with a very detailed checklist of every little issue that needs to be resolved in order to get it 100% again. some issues are intermittent and are hard to detect. some are always present but are quite subtle. some require careful systematic testing and familiarity with that particular instrument to spot. i do some of the tech work, but only that which im 100% confident doing, and let our head tech do everything else, but we pass items back and forth. im the quality control guy, and if a particular repair doesnt meet my high standards, it gets handed right back to the tech so he can do a better job at it. so im not "THAT GUY whos buying up all the gear and gets a tech to look at it so i can sell it for double". itd be nice to kick back and relax and do much of nothing like "that guy" does, but i am WAY more involved than that guy, and i am very well aware of how hard i work to get slightly more than "that guy" gets for his gear. as for jupiter-6's, i dont think our current jp6 prices are unreasonable, all things considered.

freeyerheel said:
"thanks for all your replies what i garner from all this is that he wants the most out of it, which is understandable, but if he is on here as a wiggler maybe he should put a few on here for us at a cost that he has listed, some seem reasonable, after all even us wigglers have to be pinned down on the price of the item, i guess thats why he has a website, so he can get offer after offer. it does seem a bit hordish but i guess if it was anything else i wouldnt mind, its just when your passionate about something its easy to get annoyed. it makes me really respect those who offer stuff here for us through pay pal, my hats off to you guys who put stuff up for what you paid for it for or in a reasonable ball park for someone else to enjoy, and hopefully that person does the same, thats the great thing about this site and why this form is the best form ive ever been apart of, seems like most here are really genuinely interested in seeing others "get it" and after all synths do have alot of mystic so to everyone here thanks for sharing your passion, know how, and insight!"

i think forums like this are great. i find it annoying that there are haters out there who have little understanding of what we do and think we are evil for trying to make a business out of our passion. despite the high prices we sell our items for, there is no lost ark of cheap vintage synths out there that we're depleting. in the end, we work very hard and this is not a very lucrative business. my typical work week is usually at least twice as long as friends work weeks. if we were in it for the money, there are many less stressful and less challenging careers that would be more financially rewarding and take up way less of our time.
anyway, thanks for listening.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade / Repair
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Backroads
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Backroads » Sun May 12, 2013 6:31 pm

I bought a Polysix from Mini about 4 years ago. It arrived working perfectly, and has remained in that condition since (I have gigged with it only a handful of times).

Customer service via email is prompt, detailed, and helpful.

Note: the website says that the synths listed with issues will be fixed as soon as someone decides to buy it. Given their schedule, this policy seems fine.

Would buy from again.

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Sun May 12, 2013 8:39 pm

Mini's general tactics have really rubbed me the wrong way in the past - I definitely got a "professional flipper" vibe, and definitely noticed prices that were 50 to 100% higher than they "should" be,

BUT -

If he and his company are really doing the full-scale servicing and refurbishing they claim to, then I'm glad they're out there and they're providing a valuable service. I always want to buy vintage gear as close to buying it "new" as possible and I'd be willing to pay a premium to not have to then take it to a local shady tech, spending more money, waiting, etc. There are a handful of vintage pieces I'm going to be buying in the near future, and I'm most likely going to use them so as to avoid headaches, surprises, and "as is" switcheroos.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

minime123
buy/sell/trade

Post by minime123 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi bath house. Please define "professional flipper".
Thanks
Mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade / Repair
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Sun May 12, 2013 9:19 pm

He's a good guy. He knows his vintage synths inside and out. He's totally obsessed and totally legit. I think he probably does the majority of sales to studios and bands with money.

I've dealt with him on a bunch of stuff over the years, he's very detail oriented, you have to be patient the same way you would with a custom build because he will probably go through it with a fine tooth comb before shipping.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

Return to “General Gear”