Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Re: Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis

Post by mikmanner » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Anyone else have issues with needing to push the encoder in to coarse change the voltage? It's exhausting am I doing something wrong? Without pushing its sooooo fine and pushing takes like 20 push turns to navigate the full range of voltage my poor thumb and wrist!

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:58 pm

I hardly ever actually program my MD step by step. I slam the shred combos until I get something I like or just wiggle the knob while it's running to get general motions. I use it more often for general CV rather than pitch though.

Stice
Common Wiggler

Post by Stice » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:09 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:58 pm
I hardly ever actually program my MD step by step. I slam the shred combos until I get something I like or just wiggle the knob while it's running to get general motions. I use it more often for general CV rather than pitch though.

Honestly I do this too. I like to use Reset ("Origin" on the MD) with my sequencers, and that combined with the potential to use the N,X,Y,O CV inputs on MD mean that it's using Shred or real-time wiggling during playback generally get me to a good starting point quickly.

Sometimes I'll then go in and manually tweak specific steps if needed to fit them into the generated sequence.

Stice
Common Wiggler

Post by Stice » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:09 pm

:lol: I don't think I realized how much I love MD until this thread

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:12 pm

Stice wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:09 pm
:lol: I don't think I realized how much I love MD until this thread
It really is great. Mine isn't racked right now and I really miss it. I need to rearrange again.

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:01 am

minatorymodular wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:41 pm
I do think it would benefit from a quantizer, especially with the random combos. Once I pick up a quad quantizer and more oscillators I'll be able to unlock some cool polyphonic options.
Mine is next to o_C for quantizing, great combo.

tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tvparcable » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:06 am

Yeah I've always been a little surprised at how it doesn't seem to enjoy the popularity it deserves. Maybe a lot of people tend to see it as a live CV-recorder/stepped looper, when it can do so much more. In fact my only grip with it is that the knob has a very low sensitivity for live CV recording, I find that turning it, even while pressed, hardly allows more than 2/3v of amplitude, and even then you have to contort your wrist a good deal. I usually just use the shred combos instead of actually manually recording anything.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:26 am

I don't have it but I'd buy it in an heartbeat if the 4 channels had a little independency from one another. I guess one could always use a fast clock and put S&Hs with different rates/patterns a the outputs...

tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tvparcable » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:39 am

hirnlego wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:26 am
I don't have it but I'd buy it in an heartbeat if the 4 channels had a little independency from one another. I guess one could always use a fast clock and put S&Hs with different rates/patterns a the outputs...
Yeah... I ended up getting a René 2, and the two are actually great pals as well, with the MD now mostly focusing on non-melodic CV sequences.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 am

You can emulate “independence” by using “rests” at 0 cv for the step. Of course this shortens the sequence, but it’s an option.

orbita
Wiggling with Experience

Post by orbita » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:48 am

hirnlego wrote:
I've started to find this with my Four bricks rook and Bishops Miscellany . They are multi channel units but tied in a way that sometimes makes sense but often I want to be able to shorten a track length of one and suddenly I've done it for all of them. With bishops miscellany it records to both tracks at the same time. I wish you could record to each separately.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:52 am

NoLegs wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 am
You can emulate “independence” by using “rests” at 0 cv for the step. Of course this shortens the sequence, but it’s an option.
Not sure I follow you. If a step is at 0v the sequencer will be silent for that step, but the sequence will always be 16 steps, right?

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:56 am

orbita wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:48 am
I've started to find this with my Four bricks rook and Bishops Miscellany . They are multi channel units but tied in a way that sometimes makes sense but often I want to be able to shorten a track length of one and suddenly I've done it for all of them. With bishops miscellany it records to both tracks at the same time. I wish you could record to each separately.
This is my only problem with this kind of units and the reason I'll probably end up getting a Varigate 4+ instead (where each channel can have a different length and clock division/multiplication, if I'm not mistaken)...

esmeets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by esmeets » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Just to be sure. The maximum sequence length is 16 steps right? With different play modes and multiple cv inputs and easy random mode

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:23 pm

hirnlego wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:52 am
NoLegs wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 am
Not sure I follow you. If a step is at 0v the sequencer will be silent for that step, but the sequence will always be 16 steps, right?
It would be a "rest", yes.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:25 pm

esmeets wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:57 pm
Just to be sure. The maximum sequence length is 16 steps right? With different play modes and multiple cv inputs and easy random mode
It's really hard to quantify this using the term sequence length. I'd say that yes there are 16 coordinates on the sequencer on an X/Y grid. You can, with some creative patching using the various trigger and CV inputs essentially make a longer than 16 step sequence, up until theoretically infinity steps long.

Using something like this or Rene 1/2, thinking of things in terms of "there are 16 steps in the sequence" is the wrong way to think of it. If you stop thinking in those terms you will get much more out of these types sequencers.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:51 pm

I just got this and love but need confirmation on something.

When turning the encoder it seems like if I'm going fast it registers less but if I turn the encoder slower it's 1:1 as far as changing voltage.

This is normal behavior? I know it's hard to hear the differences in fine voltage changes but I'm positive that's what's happening.
THUMPR BC SC

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Mine has this behavior as well. Trying to span large voltage ranges with the encoder can be quite vexing, and I understand why most people use the random/shred button until the get a value in their desired range and then fine tune from there.

My personal request for a future firmware update would involve changing the encoder behavior so it’s easier to make coarse-level changes.

ATW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ATW » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:00 pm

megarat wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:40 pm
My personal request for a future firmware update would involve changing the encoder behavior so it’s easier to make coarse-level changes.
The knob behavior is a bit maddening, isn’t it?

It should be reversed in a new firmware (or made reversible with a toggle somewhere) so that semitones are accessible by default, and fine tuning requires the press and turn action. I am all for having the fine tuning, but it would be more traditionally musical if it had the behavior of say, Elements, where coarse tuning is quantized.

ATW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ATW » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:02 pm

scragz wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:01 am
minatorymodular wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:41 pm
I do think it would benefit from a quantizer, especially with the random combos. Once I pick up a quad quantizer and more oscillators I'll be able to unlock some cool polyphonic options.
Mine is next to o_C for quantizing, great combo.
Same. And Scales and Shades. Gotta tame that shredded voltage!

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:15 pm

hirnlego wrote:
I use the MD with an o_C as someone else said. Then trigger the o_C using 4 channels of the ES Drum Sequencer. Works great and feels very independent. The ES DS then becomes my master sequencer with the MD providing the pitch CVs. I do this as find the DS very playable but the MD so much better for quick melodies using the SHRED function.

Great little sequencer.
FS: Metropolis $475, Intellijel Dual ADSR $175 and lots more

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Thanks for the response. I do love it. Working within it’s slight limitations has lead me to more creative spaces which is all I want from a module. The only thing I’d change is slew in the module but I have Stages right above this.

I just saw the NE post about using it as a Preset source. That can be fun.
THUMPR BC SC

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:59 am

batch wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:15 pm
I use the MD with an o_C as someone else said. Then trigger the o_C using 4 channels of the ES Drum Sequencer. Works great and feels very independent. The ES DS then becomes my master sequencer with the MD providing the pitch CVs. I do this as find the DS very playable but the MD so much better for quick melodies using the SHRED function.

Great little sequencer.
Great suggestion, thanks! I'm a little torn between the MD and the Varigate 4+, each one has its pros and cons...

pablowdadon
Common Wiggler

Post by pablowdadon » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:00 am

megarat wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:40 pm
Mine has this behavior as well. Trying to span large voltage ranges with the encoder can be quite vexing, and I understand why most people use the random/shred button until the get a value in their desired range and then fine tune from there.

:hihi: ahhh 2020 firmware update mantra :hihi:

When it comes to digital modules, expectations are so high that people forgot Apple is still selling overpriced shitty computers :)
This module shines as modulation source for digital stuff, the 0-5v range is extremely accurate, on NE modules you can get sweet spots that otherwise would be kinda tricky or require some efforts.
Pretending this stuff could work well as sequencer, of course, but that “instant jam” thing mixed with tuning precision is not real.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:51 am

Huh?
THUMPR BC SC

Return to “Eurorack Modules”