Integrating Pedal Steel into Eurorack

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

PhilBronch
Learning to Wiggle

Integrating Pedal Steel into Eurorack

Post by PhilBronch » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi all,

Pedal Steel player here that recently took the dive into modular world & excited to incorporate my steel guitar into my rig. Was curious if anyone had any experience with this specifically and also just open to some general suggestions for incorporating a guitar signal into a modular rig.

my rack consists of:
0-coast
Ears
Synthrotek Echo,
Clouds
Afterneath
Braids,
a VCF
Maths

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
-p

sd_falter
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Integrating Pedal Steel into Eurorack

Post by sd_falter » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:46 pm

Not a pedal steel player but i suppose you might need to clarify what you want to get out of the modular.
Do you want a synth accompaniment, eurorack effects box, something that will try n track pitches from the guitar?

Offhand id say a sequencer would be handy to set tempo, play a pitched melody on the braids/0coast or apply cv to filters/effects you run the guitar into.

Maybe a disting as it has a pitch tracker algorithm, failing that an envelope follower, some decent effects and a shitton of utility algos. Or look into dedicated pitch tracker and envelope follower modules.

Maybe another input module in addition to ears so you can set up different mics, contact mics etc all running in parallel into the modular.

Matrix mixer for effects/feedback loops? Maybe some mutes or crossfading modules so you can make complex effects chains you can switch up on the fly.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:55 pm

PhilBronch wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:35 pm
Hi all,

Pedal Steel player here that recently took the dive into modular world & excited to incorporate my steel guitar into my rig. Was curious if anyone had any experience with this specifically and also just open to some general suggestions for incorporating a guitar signal into a modular rig.

my rack consists of:
0-coast
Ears
Synthrotek Echo,
Clouds
Afterneath
Braids,
a VCF
Maths

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
-p
I would get a couple of Doepfer A-119 Pre-Amp/Envelope Followers and two or three (or a dual) VCA's. Maybe even add a VC LFO to allow the Maths to be whatever it needs to be. And a dual Attenuator like the 2HP Trim to allow Maths more crucial functions. And a small 2HP mixer and possibly output module if you want stereo out.

VCA I would suggest Tiptop VCA's (or an Intellijel uVCA 2) to save space. Otherwise the AJH Minimod VCA is real good for instrument treatment but takes a ton of space.

Looks good so far though.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

PhilBronch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PhilBronch » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:35 am

All really helpful suggestions.

Definitely want get some More VCA's, that seems like the logical next step for functionality. Was considering a Pams as a general clock synced utility.

My steel amp has a line out & would like to use the line out as a trigger, but also use some effect modules to really get the most out of the instrument. I guess i'd like some versatility. Self generating synth accompaniment would be very cool. I love the idea of pitch tracking modules, i was unaware of those, curious how well they would work with steel.

A few things i didn't mention about my set up:
Running Ableton 10 w/ CV tools as my master clock & midi sequencer for 0-coast (and have been using the midi b out into braids)
have an old rack mounted 12 channel line mixer that i'm using to mix everything, it's ugly but it works. will post pictures of the rig once its a little closer to done!

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:41 am

Ears already has an envelope follower and gate extractor so you don't necessarily need the A-119s.

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:31 am

Doepfer 119 w/chip upgrade, 137 and 141. Got a free foot(s) for a CV and/or volume pedal into the 137?
seems like these would be useful to modify the guitar sound and provide some voltage response from your playing dynamics.
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:35 am

I like MindMachine's suggestions -except the undue emphasis on saving space.

I'd emphasize playability on a too dark stage after a few beers. That means spacers between 2HP modules. Or larger modules to begin with, where the knobs are human size too.

But the module types MM suggested are spot on.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:37 am

Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers and your Synth becomes much more versatile and playable.

PhilBronch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PhilBronch » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:49 pm

KSS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:37 am
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers and your Synth becomes much more versatile and playable.
love this.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”