Creative uses for a Burst module?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Creative uses for a Burst module?

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat May 02, 2020 5:59 am

Looking for inspiration and such.

I have a Befaco Burst. Love it.

But I find that I have basically just been using it in a percussion capacity as a Guiro sort of thing. And I've used it to add some spice to HiHats once or twice, but I'd like some other ideas for patching.

How do you all use them, and which one(s) do you have, and what mod sources do you like to feed it?

Thanks.

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Creative uses for a Burst module?

Post by sir stony » Sat May 02, 2020 6:53 am

I never really used it for percussive things, but mostly to rush a shot of sequence with a predefined number of steps, be it pitch or modulation. Sometimes I use it to cause random extra triggers in a sequence, make it somewhat less predictable. More rarely I use it with a vca to chop up something else.
WTB: Dovemans SHFT

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Sat May 02, 2020 8:34 am

its not really 'cool' anymore, but the stillson hammer mk1 is super versatile and very playable. i like to spit out the burst outputs into a bipolar mixer then 'sequence' things like speed and sample rate controls on sampler/looper type modules for some sped-up-slow-down weirdness, or triggering multiple envelopes/function generators that modulate filters with multiple cv ins. the threshold mode is also bananas.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Sat May 02, 2020 9:59 am

Interesting as an input for logic/switch modules, Rings, Pluck (but I guess that's still sorta percussion, but oh well, I like it anywho.) VCA cv, strike inputs, envelope triggers, sequencer trigger. Hell I pretty much plug it into anything that's not an output. Go wild! :goo:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Sat May 02, 2020 10:22 am

Thanks for posting this question. I too have a burst and am looking for new uses for it.

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:47 pm

I did this track with mine.

JonoVizion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JonoVizion » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Burst in a 2HP Arp is triggering this droning arpeggio.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 pm

It's sort of in the realm of percussion, but burst triggering a pingable filter while you modulate the cutoff freq is fun. Likewise using it for any modules with "accent" inputs (QPas, lots of kick modules, etc. I also will occasionaly burst trigger every X measures a sequential switch (if you have one that isn't too clicky). The Befaco burst with the "accelerating" or "decelerating" options can be good for this. If you're running a slow clock, that same "speeding up" burst is fun with an envelope generator to generate a "stutter" effect on your VCO as well.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:02 pm

Found that modules that have a one-shot closed hihat sound can be made to emulate an open hihat if you put super fast bursts into the trigger. Like the Meng Qi DU-KRPLS

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by helix » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:30 am

I don't have one right now, but i want one!

My idea is to make nice bursts of arpeggios at the start of each 4 or 8 bars for example (or even at the end as a phrase ending melody), either with a 2hp arp (which i dont have) or running a re triggered LFO through a quantizer for the pitch. LFO (or envelope) re triggers at start of the burst, with each burst sending out a gate to open a VCA, allowing the VCO that's having it's pitch modulated to be heard.

I havent seen anyone do exactly what i want in mind, but it's been making me want one for a while!

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by helix » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:48 am

The qantising would also be triggered by the burst output so the notes hit as the envelope trigger so. But it could be a cool effect to have them not syc up

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by helix » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:51 am

You could use each burt to retrigger an LFO which could create some cool sturrery effects when hooked up to certain things, or perhaps the trigger bursts could be hooked up to an S&H and then to anything else.

I really want one now

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:08 pm

I've got a patch going right now where I'm using the Burst to send out clock pulses to a Grids, using the distribution at nearly center to give it some swing. It's simple and lovely.

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:57 pm

I got the 2hp BRST (actually I got two of them), because they were the best suited to what I wanted to do on the market, strangely. Things I've had fun doing:
- Put an inverted decay envelope into the Rate CV and trigger it at the same time as the burst to create a bouncing ball
- Creating interesting variations by using Branches to sometimes trigger a burst, and combining them with the original trigger sequence
It's done!
...probably! Ahhh, who am I kidding...

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by helix » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:21 am

Yes! branches is something i thought would pair nicely with this too. Or the dual probability skipper from Ladik. And ladiks burst generator for that matter. A little easier to get to the knobs perhaps

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by helix » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:28 am

Taking the burst out and sending to a branches, going to two different voices/envelopes for stereo burst pinging.

Burst pinging a QPLFO or PEG would also be fun. Sending the bursts through an 8 way sequential switch to many many destinations,
Or sending the bursts into an intellijel shifty/other shift register trigger input and a sequencer...

SO many things!

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by helix » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:30 am

You could use the bursts to rhytmically gate a whole audio output/input for crazy stuttering effect. Could sound great having a nice lush pad gated in this way

yhf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yhf » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:23 am

KittenVillage wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:47 pm
I did this track with mine.

Beautiful.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”