Bionic Lester MK3

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Bionic Lester MK3

Post by daphnid » Tue May 12, 2020 12:04 am

There's no dedicated thread for this baby (a few specific topics in the harvestman sub but no general threads).

There's also not many demos out there featuring analog oscillators.

Curious to hear general thoughts and opinions, as well as tips and tricks, favorite uses. How does it sound compared to old 90s VA? I've always loved the filter on my Nord Rack 1 and wished I could process external audio with it. Hoping the preset morphing and continuous filter type morphing make it a little more flexible and musical than the Morpheus in terms of modulated, evolving sound.

What do we think about this funky filter?

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Bionic Lester MK3

Post by jwm » Tue May 12, 2020 10:19 am

some thoughts:

i love the mk3. i love the mk2 as well, but mk3 is like a whole different thing really. still, they sit side by side.

the routing options are vast, i personally like the stereo routing and the series routing the best and use both fairly often. the 4 pole mode sounds especially fierce with the input gain controls dimed.

one of the best things about the mk3 is the comb filter, which is crazy considering it was an afterthought, but man, it sets it apart. and being able to morph into the comb from say bandpass, or even better yet, in series mode, pinging filter A in full resonant BP > filter B as comb filter...totally bananas and worth the price of admission imo.

i hardly ever touch the preset manager on the lester (though i use it to great extent on ph mk3 and kermit) - i find that its very quick and easy to route things on the fly and alter cv inputs (which is also wild, having potentially 3 cv inputs controlling cuttoff or resonance or gain or morph)

my only (small) gripe really, is that sometimes i've powered on my rig and found that the lester just straight up won't recognize any audio input...and i have to cycle through the routing options till it returns to normal operation, which is weird, and i wonder if thats related to the power supply more than the module itself. its only happened a couple times out of hundreds of power ons probably, and i haven't been able to faithfully replicate it, so ymmv.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Tue May 12, 2020 4:54 pm

jwm wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:19 am

one of the best things about the mk3 is the comb filter, which is crazy considering it was an afterthought, but man, it sets it apart. and being able to morph into the comb from say bandpass, or even better yet, in series mode, pinging filter A in full resonant BP > filter B as comb filter...totally bananas and worth the price of admission imo.
Yeah being able to run 2 filters in series with all that CV input and mode morphing has me really excited. My issue with the Morpheus is that while it has huge range with almost 300 filter cubes, you cannot seamlessly morph between them. I understand why that's not possible but I'm starting to find it limiting.

I got the new Kermit a little while back and, while frustratingly glitchy and cramped, I've had a lot of fun exploring it, it's just got vibe, and so many tricks up its sleeve. Hoping to get similarly sucked into the BL.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:33 am

I'd been ignoring BL mk3, but now the comb filtering has my attention. I'm interested in terms of resonator/feedback sorts of applications -- areas tangent to physical modeling. I'm thinking about it vs Morpheus for future exploration.

Can BL mk3 track one volt per octave?

It seemed from the video that the comb filter lowers in frequency as the cutoff parameter increases, which is the inverse of the other filter types. That seems potentially problematic where it comes to morphing from a bandpass to a comb, if you're trying to track pitch...

Common Wiggler

Post by 6667 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:47 am

daphnid wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:54 pm
I got the new Kermit a little while back and, while frustratingly glitchy and cramped, I've had a lot of fun exploring it, it's just got vibe, and so many tricks up its sleeve. Hoping to get similarly sucked into the BL.
a bit off topic but. kermit 3 is absolutely incredible for its size, didnt take long to pick up on the button combos either (figured most of them out without the manual). pretty surprising how little attention it gets compared to something like batumi

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:16 pm

Is anyone using the BL as a VCA with envelopes controlling the gain? I am getting some pretty serious clicks.

Vess
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vess » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:28 pm

dysonant wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:16 pm
Is anyone using the BL as a VCA with envelopes controlling the gain? I am getting some pretty serious clicks.
I’m also interested in this also gunning for BL as my next module

Tim Lairy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tim Lairy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:59 am

Not had mine long. Juicy filter & very nice to smoothly move between filter types. Has to be said though.. if you modulate the mode at all fast this thing clicks & pops. A little too much for me personally to consider a ‘feature’..a shame as its great fun but does mean it falls down in a few scenarios for me.
Sounds like a similar issue to the vca scenario posted above.. i.e it cant update its state quick enough for many types of pretty standard modulation. Would love to be wrong about this & pointed to an obvious error on my part, otherwise it would be great if this got ironed out in an update

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:21 am

6667 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:47 am
daphnid wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:54 pm
a bit off topic but. kermit 3 is absolutely incredible for its size, didnt take long to pick up on the button combos either (figured most of them out without the manual). pretty surprising how little attention it gets compared to something like batumi

It works out a lot dearer than Batumi if you’re in Europe (around 50% more) so that may be part of it.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:00 pm

Tim Lairy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:59 am
... if you modulate the mode at all fast this thing clicks & pops. ...
I have noticed clicking when modulating frequency or resonance when the mode is set to Comb but I thought this was a result of the comb filter. Now you have me wondering about mode and if mine clicks when modulating that too? Either way, I am a little agitated right now with the click/pop behavior I am getting from the Gain. I love that you can use this as a VCA but it becomes rather useless with all the clicks.

Anyone else?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”