Kermit mk III - coming soon

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

itsmeaflo
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Kermit mk III - coming soon

Post by itsmeaflo » Mon May 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Just got my Kermit mk3 and it's awesome! A couple of cool things that i haven't seen talked about:

- If you put audio rate into the tap tempo it can go up to 999bpm or something. If you then change it to LFO tempo mode, you can have something like a synced audio rate oscillator (up to a certain pitch)
- If you do the above, you can then change the division or multiple of the LFO with the freq knob. One thing is that the div/mults will just be octaves since it's just integer multiples. I'm going to ask IME if it's possible to add more multiples to the LFO.

Also, I am getting used to the button combo shortcuts, but sometimes I want to see the value of the Amplitude and Waveform selected without turning the knob is this possible? Maybe this can be added to the menu? I hate menu diving but this will allow me to see what bank i'm in without changing it.

Also, I can see what people mean about jumping behaviour of the pots. It's hard to dial in exact increments when the overlay disappears too fast and the values jump. it's like a 1-2-punch of confusing and fiddling.

My suggestion (from my squinting the bar looks to be 2 pixels wide):

Code: Select all

# Current Sub-display:
Amplitude:
[::::::|:::   ]

# New Sub-display 
Amplitude:
[:::::.|..:   ]
For decrementing from current value, movement of pot will jump to absolute for the 1 pixel slider, but maybe value changes will only occur once going "through" and under original values?

Amplitude:
# New Sub-display 
[::::::|:::.. ]
For incrementing from current value, movement of pot will jump to absolute for the 1 pixel slider, but maybe audio changes will only occur going "through" and above original values?)

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Mon May 11, 2020 10:26 pm

itsmeaflo wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:11 pm
sometimes I want to see the value of the Amplitude and Waveform selected without turning the knob is this possible?
I emailed them asking about this as well. I wish I could just push each channel's button and it would bring up the waveform page for that channel and stay there til you pressed it again or switched to a different channel. Sucks having to adjust the waveform just so you can see what it's doing. I'm also constantly waking the screen up, it goes to sleep too fast. That's less annoying tho.

itsmeaflo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by itsmeaflo » Tue May 12, 2020 10:32 am

I agree @daphnid. After day 2 of play I can see how powerful this module is and have some additional "nice to haves":

- Allow us to change what knob C/D do. Frequency for modulation is important, but maybe remapping this to Wave is equally useful. Especially when using a tempo synced LFO, I probably won't be tweaking frequency too much, but changing the waveform can have nice effects to the destination

- Allow us to CV control phase. We can control phase already in the menu (and button push combo) why not expose it to CV

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Wed May 13, 2020 10:21 pm

Updating question:

Anyone care to help me understand wtf pin is "pin 1" that's supposed to line up with the triangle on the Pikit? This is what the instructions tell me to do but the pins/board are unlabeled on both sides.

Edit: Was able to apply device type after about 4 relaunches of MT Lab but now when plugged in it either says Target Device Not Found, or if I flip the Pikit, it says Invalid Device ID. Followed instructions to a T and triple checked everything. God IME could you please just put a micro usb port on these things and make some easy firmware flashing program? It took me 5 minutes to update my ALM PNW and it didn't involve buying a $25 dongle and installing a multi GB program on my computer. This is by far the worst firmware update procedure I've endured in 25 years of synth and sampler use.

klick
Common Wiggler

Post by klick » Thu May 14, 2020 1:59 am

the proper direction is the one where it said : Invalid Device ID
MPE lab, first needs to identify the device, and will flash the pickit with the proper code.

Then the pickit can be used to update the device with the firmware.

Could you double again change the device, trying to force a reflash of the pickit, with the proper cpu type, then it should work. I had to fight with this too :)

good luck !

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Thu May 14, 2020 5:55 pm

Still getting used to this module but loving it so far.

It's the first time I'm using sample and hold. I'm trying to do a sample rate reducer whereby I plug oscillator A from PH into CV jack and a square wave from oscillator B into 1v/Oct input as a trigger.

From my understanding you get a down sampling effect once you reduce the frequency of the square wave going into the trigger input. But I seem to be getting the same down sampled sound regardless of the frequency I set the square wave at. Even a high frequency square wave, for example C7, produces the same sound. I thought using a high frequency square wave from oscillator B in the trigger input would somewhat diminish the down sampling effect? Meaning the down sampling effect only starts to occur on the original audio signal once you start reducing the frequency of the square wave :hmm:

I checked and there is no cross mod and the character is set to clean. Although my interpretation of sample rate reducer might be wrong.

witchonhorseback
Common Wiggler

Post by witchonhorseback » Fri May 15, 2020 10:25 am

daphnid wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:21 pm
Edit: Was able to apply device type after about 4 relaunches of MT Lab but now when plugged in it either says Target Device Not Found, or if I flip the Pikit, it says Invalid Device ID. Followed instructions to a T and triple checked everything. God IME could you please just put a micro usb port on these things and make some easy firmware flashing program? It took me 5 minutes to update my ALM PNW and it didn't involve buying a $25 dongle and installing a multi GB program on my computer. This is by far the worst firmware update procedure I've endured in 25 years of synth and sampler use.
I agree that it's comically complicated. I don't have a laptop, and my computer is across the room from my synth...and the pickit refused to work with any cable longer than 6 feet. So I had to unplug everything from the wall outlets and studio patchbay and move the entire synthesizer closer to my desk. Meanwhile the Kermit literally has a micro SD slot in it LOL

It is a fiddlier procedure even than sending sysex patches from my Commodore 64 in 1987. But I also admit that there's more than a little nerd-cred satisfaction once you actually get it to work...

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Sat May 16, 2020 11:33 pm

would it be possible to use with harmonaig to let the kermit play 4 voiced chords? does it track well?
is the general use as quad oscillator just a small gimmick or can be considered a solid part of it?

itsmeaflo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by itsmeaflo » Sun May 17, 2020 1:46 pm

I think channels C/D would be difficult to use as part of your 4 part chord as there is a shared jack between them.

Rot_Reeler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rot_Reeler » Tue May 26, 2020 6:51 pm

does any one know how code scan mode is actually working under the hood of this bad boy?

i might be crazy, but it seems to sync up to the tap tempo sometimes, especially when the other channels are in tempo modes.

also it kind of seems like A has a big effect on C in code scan, and visa versa. but again it might just be confirmation bias.

castano
Learning to Wiggle

Post by castano » Wed May 27, 2020 11:23 pm

so far I like this module a lot :)
yes when holding down a button and adjusting the with knob
could be nice if it stays a bit longer the screen seems to bounce back and forth, especially for me I tend to move the knob for a while
till I get the right amount
hopefully we’ll get another update soon :)

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Thu May 28, 2020 7:27 am

i've also noticed that sometimes I need to hold the main encoder and hit channel a / b twice to open the display. and i agree that the screen could use staying a little longer on the waveforms etc. seems like the module is only an update or two away from being very smooth like bionic lester which was released very smooth.

can we select what purpose the knobs on channel c/d serve? sometimes I'd rather have them mapped to waveform instead of frequency, is that possible?

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Fri May 29, 2020 3:52 am

I also cant figure out how to modulate with channel d. Holding c/d automatically selects channel c. :despair:

edit it was holding c/d + the main encoder. :doh:
Last edited by droningspaghettimonster on Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri May 29, 2020 4:55 am

Yes, it's a bit confusing in he beginning, but I found that if you involve your self a bit in self modulation and at the same time restrict your self to ceertain types of modulation and go step wise from there getting familiar with it works quite good. :tu:

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Fri May 29, 2020 6:20 am

been alot of fun for sure, especially with the 12 bit wavetables at audio rates... very nasty in the good way. the file from ropotopsy is a godsend!

i'm going to explore the factory wavetables for a while but I'd be very interested in less clicky engelope shapes if anyone has those available...

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri May 29, 2020 8:24 am

1.wav
Try this one - I did some rework on the envelope shapes to have them all starting at 0 V.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Fri May 29, 2020 11:52 am

wow... thank you so much! I didn't even think far enough to see if I've got a spare sd card lying around. will need to fetch one asap!

do you know if it's enough to upload the wavetables once and than remove the card?

klick
Common Wiggler

Post by klick » Fri May 29, 2020 2:48 pm

yes, you can remove it after uploading, it works great with phase phase adjustments.

what's really missing, is to have folders supported to flash, so we could go back and forth between sets, and here it require one sd per bank set if a computer less setup is needed, which is a not that fun.

uploading new banks is really fast, so it would be a killer features to have this !

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Fri May 29, 2020 6:36 pm

I have one of these coming tomorrow.

Recently got the BL3 & PH3 so my head is going to be slightly exploding trying to learn then all.

Fingers crossed for no dodgy build quality tomorrow. God it was expensive!

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 am

I built a track using only the Kermit MKIII as sound source. Multi-layering a couple of jamm sessions.
The range of sound that this module can accomplish is amazing.
Went to lots of complications with the video editing :bang:

klick
Common Wiggler

Post by klick » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:49 am

that's an extremely nice video ! really a lot of work here :)

witchonhorseback
Common Wiggler

Post by witchonhorseback » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:00 am

That sounds really great, robotopsy—nice work!

castano
Learning to Wiggle

Post by castano » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:02 pm

Does anyone know what shapes are best to use for LFO, I’m getting clicks trying to use it for cv to pan stereo mixer
If I use an analog lfo there is no click. Any suggestions? :)

novim
Common Wiggler

Post by novim » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:55 pm

Apologies if this has been answered, or should be obvious, but I'm wondering how many wavetables Kermit can store. In other words, can you choose between x-number of banks while using it, or are you limited to one? I've read the manual and I understand the process of making a wavetable with WaveEdit, naming it 1.wav and loading it from an SD card. What's not clear to me is whether it's a matter of repeating that process every time you want to try switch wavetables.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:03 pm

castano wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:02 pm
Does anyone know what shapes are best to use for LFO, I’m getting clicks trying to use it for cv to pan stereo mixer
If I use an analog lfo there is no click. Any suggestions? :)
one place to start would be using waveforms with continuous transitions like sine and triangle. are you actually getting clicks with those kinds of waveforms?

Return to “The Harvestman”