Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by inoshi » Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 am

wavejockey wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:24 am
remember you can't do any 'live' looping/slicing on the Assmil8tor
oh... really? i thought that that is an essential function... then are samples only loaded manually? or do you mean slicing can't be done in an automated way?

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Wed May 20, 2020 2:29 pm

inoshi wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 am
wavejockey wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:24 am
remember you can't do any 'live' looping/slicing on the Assmil8tor
oh... really? i thought that that is an essential function... then are samples only loaded manually? or do you mean slicing can't be done in an automated way?
There`s automated sampling and channel assignment, but you have to "explode" (that what`s slicing to different zones is called with the Assimil8or) that sample later. Exploding and zone assignment are automated as well, but it`s an offline process.

JCM
Common Wiggler

Post by JCM » Wed May 20, 2020 4:27 pm

Last edited by JCM on Tue May 26, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

nicholasponcedeleon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Sat May 23, 2020 9:47 pm

Assimil8or user here and new to this particular forum, hello! :sb:
I have encountered the same issue of the sample disappearing after powering off my A8. To FIX this I found that if BEFORE sampling into A8, you exit the sample setup menu (once armed) and enter the channels main menu (possibly any menu other than sample setup) it will then save the sampling setup.

Somehow the sampling setup is never saved and established before the sample is recorded so it then disappears from the sd card. The sample can still be used and manipulated until it is powered off because of the internal sd card that is used for temporarily loading samples.

I hope this helps or someone can expand and or confirm this scenario. Thank you!
:tu:

Zappata
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Zappata » Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am

Does anybody know if looping of a sample in both directions with crossfades (as in Ableton Live Sampler or Bitbox etc) is something that could be implemented on a firmware update? this basic functionality is so crucial for smooth pads or any long sustained tones that not having it it's probably a deal breaker for me...

Sam Botstein
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sam Botstein » Wed May 27, 2020 12:34 pm

nicholasponcedeleon wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:47 pm
Assimil8or user here and new to this particular forum, hello! :sb:
I have encountered the same issue of the sample disappearing after powering off my A8. To FIX this I found that if BEFORE sampling into A8, you exit the sample setup menu (once armed) and enter the channels main menu (possibly any menu other than sample setup) it will then save the sampling setup.

Somehow the sampling setup is never saved and established before the sample is recorded so it then disappears from the sd card. The sample can still be used and manipulated until it is powered off because of the internal sd card that is used for temporarily loading samples.

I hope this helps or someone can expand and or confirm this scenario. Thank you!
:tu:
Are you running the latest firmware v2.03? The firmware is available from our site here.

http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/assimil8or/

Please message us through the support form.

http://www.rossum-electro.com/support/s ... uest-form/

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu May 28, 2020 11:27 am

Zappata wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Does anybody know if looping of a sample in both directions with crossfades (as in Ableton Live Sampler or Bitbox etc) is something that could be implemented on a firmware update? this basic functionality is so crucial for smooth pads or any long sustained tones that not having it it's probably a deal breaker for me...
theoretical you could do this with scrubbing & shuttling and smart programming & use of the CF groups but it is difficult to control
triggering the reverse parameter should be another means, but is not possible a t m

alternate looping:
If you play the sample backwards towards
its beginning, it will stop playing when
its Start Point is reached. However, if the
CV is then moved to a positive value, the
sample will start playing forward again
from the Start Point.

set loop point to loop the sample the other direction (towards its end)

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Sat May 30, 2020 7:28 am

TBH, the way looping works on this module confuses the hell out of me.

Edit: The penny has dropped after re reading the manual for the 10th time. I feel a bit foolish. I was thinking that ‘loop end’ and ‘Loop length’ mode were supposed to be used in conjunction but it’s one or the other. I was tying myself in knots.
Last edited by dare on Sun May 31, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Sat May 30, 2020 7:01 pm

I’m getting some unexpected behaviour saving presets that include newly sampled sounds.

After saving a preset, powering off and then reloading, some samples are missing. The name is there in the channel with a line through it but no samples present in the folder or channel

Anyone know what’s happening here?

Thanks!
Last edited by dare on Sat May 30, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Sat May 30, 2020 7:17 pm

dare wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:01 pm
I’m getting some unexpected behaviour with saving presets after sampling.

After saving the preset and powering off after releasing some samples are missing, the name is there in the channel with a line through it but no samples present in the folderNor channel

Anyone know what’s happening here?

Thanks!
See 3 posts up

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Sat May 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Yes, Thanks! I saw that but if that’s the case surely it’s a bug and not the intended workflow.

Just adding my experience but it could be operator error :)

I’m running the latest firmware and emailed support.

** EDIT MASSIVE OPERATOR ERROR**

It seems I was on 2.02.. Apologies, back in my box now.

Zappata
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Zappata » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:09 am

wavejockey wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:27 am
Zappata wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
theoretical you could do this with scrubbing & shuttling and smart programming & use of the CF groups but it is difficult to control
triggering the reverse parameter should be another means, but is not possible a t m

alternate looping:
If you play the sample backwards towards
its beginning, it will stop playing when
its Start Point is reached. However, if the
CV is then moved to a positive value, the
sample will start playing forward again
from the Start Point.

set loop point to loop the sample the other direction (towards its end)
Thank you! Hopefully a simple looping option will come as an update at some point...

pascaline
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pascaline » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:39 pm

Can someone explain to me why the aliasing parameter suddenly has a drastic effect at like 96%? Is there just something about aliasing that makes it hard for it to sound more gradual.

I kind of barely understand how it works... Something about the sample data folds back and manifests in lower frequency distortion.

Also should it be understood in conjunction with bit depth?

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:01 am

i think it should be mainly understood with pitch shifting
so sampling C3 & then down or up pitching like 2 or 3 octaves

rolsteins
Common Wiggler

Post by rolsteins » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:36 pm

Worwell wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:37 am

Multi-Timbral Phase Modulation Sampler

The ASSIMIL8OR is a CV / Gate-controllable sampler with eight independent channels. Each channel is not only its own voice, but also has a separate audio output and a gate / trigger and three CV inputs. Given ever get two sample inputs and main outputs. Thus, Stereo Sampling and playback is possible. Mixed operation of stereo or mono is possible and is limited only by the maximum number of eight channels or parts.

The ASSIMIL8OR works with high-quality 24-bit AD and DA converters. Internally, however, sample and bit rate for lo-fi sound can be lowered, the latter is even CV-controllable. The samples can also be otherwise manipulated in many ways. Thus, the phase of a sample via CV or a different sample can be modulated. Likewise, the loop points can be controlled and the sample can be traversed with CV control (scrubbing), whereby wavetable similar effects could be achieved. The following parameters can be addressed via the gate / trigger and CV inputs:

• Pitch
• Level
• Bit Depth
• Phase Modulation
• Pan
• Scrub
• Sample Start
• Sample Length
• Loop Start
• Loop Length
• Release Decay

Samples and presets are stored on an SD card, which is easily accessible plugged into the module front.

28 hp
For what kind of job this player is the best?

JCM
Common Wiggler

Post by JCM » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:32 pm

Re: Bit Depth Modulation
I’ve assigned CV to this and I’m able to modulate bit depth up, but it doesn’t respond to negative voltage to modulate it down? Same thing happens when I send inverted voltage or send positive voltage envelopes and try to attenuate it within the Assimil8or to effect the bit depth downwards. Something I’m missing here?

I have the latest firmware installed.

JCM
Common Wiggler

Post by JCM » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:04 pm

JCM wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:32 pm
Re: Bit Depth Modulation
I’ve assigned CV to this and I’m able to modulate bit depth up, but it doesn’t respond to negative voltage to modulate it down? Same thing happens when I send inverted voltage or send positive voltage envelopes and try to attenuate it within the Assimil8or to effect the bit depth downwards. Something I’m missing here?

I have the latest firmware installed.
Ok, so I figured out what my problem is. It can only accept -/+ 5V, thus it is unable to accept voltage high enough to effect the entire range and why I was unable to hear the slight difference. So my follow up is, can it be possible to attenuate it within the Assiml8or to effect the entire range of 32 bits? There is only the option to do up to -/+ 1x the voltage, why not up to 2x?

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:16 am

I’m looking for a nice stereo filter to pair with this any recommendations? Thinking Qpas currently

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:30 am

wow, so many choices but consider the rossum morpheus too as it will chew anything you throw at it ; it is very ployvalent, and the Assimil8tor is capable of generating infinite sounds, so...

youwe9
Common Wiggler

Post by youwe9 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:26 am

I went with the SSF Dipole and I am happy. I tested the Qpas as well. I think Dipole is more flexible

quaidscape
Common Wiggler

Post by quaidscape » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:22 am

Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:16 am
I’m looking for a nice stereo filter to pair with this any recommendations? Thinking Qpas currently
Have really enjoy the Happy Nerding MMM VCF.

..If only there were a stereo serge variable slope.

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:16 am
2020 is the year of the stereo filter, so unless you’re in a rush it might be good to wait a bit for everything new to ship, get really broken in and demonstrated in a wider variety of settings and styles, and then make a choice.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:55 am

Pulled the trigger on one of these from DM, very excited. Plus, it frees up my Distings again :)
15U 168hp Zebrawood case Build Log [FINISHED]: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=134540
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

mickglossop
Common Wiggler

Post by mickglossop » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:43 am

jollyjack wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:23 pm
Don't know if this has been discussed earlier, but why is there no feature that allows crossfading of zones? This would be much more useful than the crossfading of channels that is already implemented, for me personally at least. I guess it would require handling up to twice the amount of samples playing at the same time, which might explain why it's not possible...
I would be a good function to have, even if it means a reduction in the number of playable voices.

mickglossop
Common Wiggler

Post by mickglossop » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:51 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:07 pm

If I were to critique Rossum here, I think some more hands on demonstrations would be helpful to end users who are not seasoned sampler experts. Particularly some feedback on scrubbing and shuttling would help. Users here repeatedly question if scrubbing even works. I believe it does, but dialing it in can be very challenging and the values suggested in the manual seem somewhat arbitrary. That request seems somewhat entitled, but I think in this case it would really work in Rossum's benefit to show the strengths and abilities of this sampler other than the limited videos from trade shows.
I whole-heartedly agree with Dimitri. The Assimil8tor, by the very nature of its extended range of functions, is quite complicated to operate if you're just starting out.

I would really welcome some tutorial videos, please!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”