Alessandro Cortini talks about his toys

A place to discuss the brutal yellow evil we all love so much.

Moderators: Kent, metasonix

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Alessandro Cortini talks about his toys

Post by metasonix » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:00 am

For FACT magazine:

Man loves his Buchla, but he talks about the D-2000 at 10:18. Also note the old Trashman prototype on top of the rack. He begged me to sell it to him.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Alessandro Cortini talks about his toys

Post by slumberjack » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:14 am

It's nice to get a detailed insight on specific songs and it speaks for him to share his process as open as he did! nice!

Honestly the part where he tried to talk him out of being an elitist my eyes started to roll over and almost jumped out of their eye-sockets which I tried to prevent with a classic facepalm.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:26 am

I wondered what happened to that prototype; I'd assumed you disassembled it long ago.
Also I like its name. As in BORN TO DIE WORLD IS A FUCK?

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:40 am

sorry kids, won't be at NAMM. Got a good excuse too.
summons.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:15 am

slumberjack wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:14 am

Honestly the part where he tried to talk him out of being an elitist my eyes started to roll over and almost jumped out of their eye-sockets which I tried to prevent with a classic facepalm.
Huh? 🤔 which video were you watching?

belsina
Common Wiggler

Post by belsina » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:39 am

Very sympathic...

These Buchla Systems... OMG

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:11 am

Kent wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:15 am
slumberjack wrote:

Huh? 🤔 which video were you watching?
The part starts from 13:43 on.
Sorry for thinking that one of the leading synthesizer musicians is belonging to the elite. I mean there's nothing wrong with that imo and well earned.
He's an inspiration to a lot of us incl. me. But maybe I just didn't understand well enough what he said aka lost in translation.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:55 am

I like/admire Cortini a lot - everything I've heard of his solo output is interesting and sounds like him. He is somewhat rare imo in that his ear for texture is just as good as his ear for melody - he can blend both to a very high standard in a sound that is very recognisable as his. As an example I was able to pick out his music (which I hadn't before heard) over at a friend's as it was one of the only things that pricked my ear that weekend in terms of quality and sound - I can think of maybe one or two other electronic artists that I might be able to do the same for.

(Ramble alert/) Anyway, it's interesting listening to Cortini discuss his relationship with the instruments and his approach toward music making, since both of which certainly apply to myself and probably to many others here. There have been times in the past where I've tried to move away from the 'lets see' approach of just working with the instruments until something I recognise as good comes out- I struggle to articulate why but I think it's something to with the (personal) clash between being a programmer and a musician.

I realise both are very much the same thing (in that the ultimate aim is to end up with good music regardless of tool/instrument used to make it) but I've always found some tension between being a player or a patcher of an instrument. Somehow hearing Cortini, who can do either to a high standard, talk about the approach I've been most comfortable with/interested in over the years makes it feel no less valid than being a decent pianist or guitarist. Not that it should be - I guess I've just elevated being able to play something well over being able to produce an interesting piece of music regardless of approach in terms of what musicianship is.

I also enjoyed looking at those really esoteric bits and bobs he has - if anyone deserves those he does since he not only has the talent and love for them to really make them shine. That overstayer modular channel too - I've a few bits that could consolidate into that thing of the sound is there. I'd really love to spend a day with one to see...

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:07 am

slumberjack wrote:
This !

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:07 pm

The 700 was the funniest part to me. Notorious for not working properly, being difficult to program, and missing a list of features.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Are those black 5U modules the Zerosum adaptation of the R series?

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 pm

metasonix wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:40 am
sorry kids, won't be at NAMM. Got a good excuse too.
summons.jpg
Send them a selection of your yellow panel graphics and nsfw photo posts and you’ll be excused.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:40 pm

electricanada wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 pm
Send them a selection of your yellow panel graphics and nsfw photo posts and you’ll be excused.
Tried that in 2008. Set up the Fucking Fucker amp right on the main aisle so thousands of people would see it. On first-day opening the marching band and Joe Lamond, the president of NAMM, walked right past it and unquestionably saw it. No one said a word.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:59 pm

metasonix wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:40 pm
electricanada wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 pm
Tried that in 2008. Set up the Fucking Fucker amp right on the main aisle so thousands of people would see it. On first-day opening the marching band and Joe Lamond, the president of NAMM, walked right past it and unquestionably saw it. No one said a word.
Aw, I meant excused from jury duty! There’s always a way out.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

CiDE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CiDE » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:01 pm

metasonix wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:00 am
For FACT magazine:

Man loves his Buchla, but he talks about the D-2000 at 10:18. Also note the old Trashman prototype on top of the rack. He begged me to sell it to him.
That guy has more Buchla than I will ever see at sale. Must be a nightmare to sync up three different generations of modular into a song.
Not hating Cortini over here, just getting dizzy out of seeing so much Davies and Rogans in one place, spiraling into pure jealousy.
"Coming next from Music Thing Modular is a dual sample and hold module that is reminiscent of the 259. Allesandro Cortini is using four on the NIN tour."
- Tom Whitwell's Module Generator, 2020.

Return to “Metasonix”