R*S Serge DUSG XL - Peak and Trough

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

R*S Serge DUSG XL - Peak and Trough

Post by cyberdine » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:20 pm

Hello to all you fine people.

I'm the proud owner of an R*S Mantra panel, which as I've mentioned elsewhere is proving to be a great introduction to Serge for me, a Serge newb. I feel like I'm getting to grips with much of what's going on, but I'm still a bit mystified by the Peak and Trough on the DUSG xl. According to the R*S website, "The PEAK and TROUGH can be used as a pseudo-VCA, a mean drone-machine, for effects similar to ring modulator or for pseudo-stereo outputs." That all sounds really cool! But I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to achieve any of these things. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks as ever.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: R*S Serge DUSG XL - Peak and Trough

Post by luketeaford » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:15 pm

All my R*S stuff is in Euro format thus no Peak and Trough, but I have a Doepfer MAX/MIN which can be patched as a pseudo VCA by patching in a unipolar oscillator like the triangle NTO output and a unipolar control signal like a DUSG envelope. MIN is like TROUGH (I assume) and AND, so it will be the minimum of the amplitudes it's measuring and it sort of super imposes the envelope on top of the always running oscillator thus creating a weird VCA that sounds almost like what could reasonably be called a "ring mod" sound that is nothing like ring mod :)

I would try taking the audio output from TROUGH as the VCA, setting one of the DUSG channels to cycle at audio rate, and pinging the VCFQ and sending that to trough in. Maybe you have to mix first to get both the DUSG signal and the VCFQ in the input?

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cyberdine » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:55 pm

Thank you for this suggestion - I'm going to give it a whirl when I'm back with my synthesizers, where I belong.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 am

I made 3 videos showing the shaping capabilities of the DUSG XL Peak & Trough, no much explanation but you can see the action in my old and a bit unstable scope . I used only the DUSG XL for the first two videos. Also a drum sequencer patch using the DUSG XL + P&T as main beat generator.

Peak:

Trough:

Drum sequencer patch:

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cyberdine » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 am

Thank you - this is great.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm