New poly synth/synth company - ASM Hydrasynth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

onthelees
Wiggling with Experience

Post by onthelees » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:05 pm

inoshi wrote:can it do acid?
Wouldn’t be my first choice, nor probably in my top 5.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Saw mention of a editor/browser/patch manager in a few of the release articles. Don't see anything of it on the official website. Anyone seen news of it?

REwire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REwire » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:50 pm

I've been watching the bottom of this page to see when they finally release the librarian.

http://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/hydrasynth-key

They will not make an editor but also made it hard for anyone to do by using proprietary Sysex that can't be output to Midiox

onthelees
Wiggling with Experience

Post by onthelees » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:30 pm

I have what appears to be a bug - would like to hear from other owners. I cannot turn off the reverb for any existing patch. I can set the mix to 0% all day, but the reverb is still there, no matter what I do with settings, or how I move the mix control. If I INIT a patch from scratch, it works fine, but... I have to create a new patch to get no reverb. Although the reverb is fine, If I am laying down tracks I prefer the synths dry as I have tons of plugins and most sound better than the built-in reverb. When I play live, I want little or no reverb as the house will apply it and it just muddies the sound. This is quite debilitating at the moment.

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Got my desktop today. It sounds terrific. And as plenty of reviewers have stated, it's built like a tank.

Any concerns about whether it can manage bass duties are, as far as I can tell, unfounded (though one might prefer a dedicated real analog depending on taste or application).

Plenty of the presets are silly, of course... I imagine they are there to give you ideas of what the machine is capable of, rather than to be musically useful. But who cares about presets anyway?

Haven't had time to do much in terms of real editing... and sadly won't for a few days. But even in just a quick (hour-ish) test drive, I was able to get into playing with plenty of the voice parameters without cracking the manual. Feels pretty intuitive.

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:37 pm

onthelees wrote:I have what appears to be a bug - would like to hear from other owners. I cannot turn off the reverb for any existing patch. I can set the mix to 0% all day, but the reverb is still there, no matter what I do with settings, or how I move the mix control. If I INIT a patch from scratch, it works fine, but... I have to create a new patch to get no reverb. Although the reverb is fine, If I am laying down tracks I prefer the synths dry as I have tons of plugins and most sound better than the built-in reverb. When I play live, I want little or no reverb as the house will apply it and it just muddies the sound. This is quite debilitating at the moment.
I'm not seeing this issue... I'm having no trouble setting the dry/wet mix to 0% for patches, depending the patch either by going into the menu under the reverb module, or just with the master controls.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Mine has been out for fedex delivery on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and now today. Each day it gets updated to "no scheduled delivery date available at this time".

I have had several other fedex packages, and this has happened to every one of them. On the truck for delivery, then the delivery gets cancelled. Day after day after day.

I have already told Sweetwater to mark in my account NEVER to use fedex when shipping to me.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:33 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:Mine has been out for fedex delivery on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and now today. Each day it gets updated to "no scheduled delivery date available at this time".

I have had several other fedex packages, and this has happened to every one of them. On the truck for delivery, then the delivery gets cancelled. Day after day after day.

I have already told Sweetwater to mark in my account NEVER to use fedex when shipping to me.
I have had had this happen before. And I have also requested the same from Sweetwater haha. Fortunately you have the benefit of having ordered from Sweetwater, who will certainly take care of you.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:Mine has been out for fedex delivery on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and now today. Each day it gets updated to "no scheduled delivery date available at this time".

I have had had this happen before. And I have also requested the same from Sweetwater haha. Fortunately you have the benefit of having ordered from Sweetwater, who will certainly take care of you.
well, sure, but they are not going to get me the synth sooner, and i have no doubt that I'll get it. eventually. but yeah - sweetwater is great if you get a faulty item, or the wrong one etc. but it's not like they are going to overnight me one, and get this one sucked back.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Really interested in getting a desktop version of this some day. Love so much that it has CV ins.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

well, sure, but they are not going to get me the synth sooner, and i have no doubt that I'll get it. eventually. but yeah - sweetwater is great if you get a faulty item, or the wrong one etc. but it's not like they are going to overnight me one, and get this one sucked back.
You know, if it doesn't show up in a few days you probably could make an argument to them that it's lost, they could cancel the deliver (I'm fairly certain as sender you can do this with FedEx) and they could send you another. When my Antelope Goliath's TB port crapped out after a few months of ownership they overnighted me one and then I shipped the faulty one back. Ha, and that was a much larger ticket item. Of course that assumes they have a spare unit to ship. Regardless it sucks to have an ordered item in a timely fashion. Unfortunately, this time of year, it's not uncommon.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

You know, if it doesn't show up in a few days you probably could make an argument to them that it's lost, they could cancel the deliver (I'm fairly certain as sender you can do this with FedEx) and they could send you another. When my Antelope Goliath's TB port crapped out after a few months of ownership they overnighted me one and then I shipped the faulty one back. Ha, and that was a much larger ticket item. Of course that assumes they have a spare unit to ship. Regardless it sucks to have an ordered item in a timely fashion. Unfortunately, this time of year, it's not uncommon.
Don’t think they have another to ship until the new year though.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

onthelees
Wiggling with Experience

Post by onthelees » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:21 am

onthelees wrote:I have what appears to be a bug - would like to hear from other owners. I cannot turn off the reverb for any existing patch. I can set the mix to 0% all day, but the reverb is still there, no matter what I do with settings, or how I move the mix control. If I INIT a patch from scratch, it works fine, but... I have to create a new patch to get no reverb. Although the reverb is fine, If I am laying down tracks I prefer the synths dry as I have tons of plugins and most sound better than the built-in reverb. When I play live, I want little or no reverb as the house will apply it and it just muddies the sound. This is quite debilitating at the moment.
OK, I think I figure this out: If there is a Macro defined for something like "Reverb Amount", this overrides the settings in the voice. In fact, it's there as a macro just to enable what I have been trying to do. Another RTFM moment...

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:21 am

I finally took a look at the Loopop vid, it does sound intriguing, about the only thing I don't like is the look/design, but apart from that, seems stellar! Am fascinated to know more about how the guitar fretboard mode works, so will investigate the manual.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:49 am

onthelees wrote:
OK, I think I figure this out: If there is a Macro defined for something like "Reverb Amount", this overrides the settings in the voice. In fact, it's there as a macro just to enable what I have been trying to do. Another RTFM moment...
This one stumped me for a while as well. Nice to know it wasn't just me. Just happened to have an a-ha lucky moment when I realized it might be the macros. I've also been fooled by some long release times thinking it was a reverb.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:44 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

it occurred to me that the reason that this is happening with multiple packages is that they have no system for determining which packages have been in the truck, or the system, for the longest. it's just the luck of the draw - the fact that my hydrasynth has been out for delivery for days doesn't give it any advantage at all.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:01 pm

I will try to suppress 'new synth' exaggeration. This can of course work in both directions - positive and negative.

i also have another push towards positivity or negativity - i have had a horrible year musically, and I imagine that some new inspiration will push me towards unwarranted praise, but it can also affect me negatively, since my curmudgeonly tendencies are never far away.

all i can try to do is give some initial impressions based on probably about 3 hours of use.

the negatives first. This is within the context that no instrument ever does what you want in the way you want. But - i'm a little 'peeved' (quotes = exaggeration) that the knobs only send nrpn - there doesn't seem to be a way of choosing just regular controller values there. It also seems like, while there are 2 cv inputs, neither can be used to gate the envelopes, which as I can tell, is necessary to create sound. (the envelopes do loop, and i haven't experimented with that).

if anyone can disabuse me of these conclusions, I'd love it.

But, fucking hell. i'm not one of these people who can distinguish between the sound of a good softsynth and a good hardware digital synth, and blah blah blah. I like the core sound.

Virtually everything can be modulated.

The interface - well, i have a small brain, made smaller by age and years of drug and alcohol abuse. (I can tell by weighing myself both with and without my brain).

but damn. This isn't like elektron, where (I find) I just can't remember where the fuck they put stuff, and remember why that might be. I have had to look at the manual because I'm not smart enough, say, to figure out how the macros work, etc, but it's logical and fast enough that I'm not forseeing a problem in remembering how each component functions.

I have not yet tried using the mod (cv) inputs to process audio through the mutations - that's next. I expect to spend quite a few hours this weekend.

at this point, fun makes the difference to me. The new moog stuff - damn. yeah - never would have thought that i'd become a moog guy, but i find it damn fun.

And this thing, at this point, looks like it will be just damn fucking fun. Note - even when something sounds good, and is logical, if there is tons of modulation, and tons of sound parameters - I can understand what is happening and how to do it, but how do i make these sounds my own? I expect that it will take some time and experimentation.

But thus far, I'm thrilled with my purchase. Some softsynths sound awfully good to my ears, but I can't cannibalize them like I can this thing.

Very positive, tentative, early review.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:18 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:Really interested in getting a desktop version of this some day.
Then don't ship via Fed Ex.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Phase47
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Phase47 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:26 pm

onthelees wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:52 pm
I will simply say that as someone who now owns a Hydrasynth, it sounds substantially better in person than any demo I heard on YouTube.
I concur. I have been working with the Hydra off and on for a couple days and really can't account for some of the homely sounds I've heard demo'd in YT vids. It's a great & deep synthesizer and sounds very, very good when you roll your own.

Ric0chet
1-Post Wiggler

Re: New poly synth/synth company - ASM Hydrasynth

Post by Ric0chet » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:31 pm

A little late to the party, but since I own a Hydrasynth and have owned a Kyra, I thought I'd offer my .02:

1) Kyra - I found it to have a really clumsy user interface, and to have odd omissions / limitations regarding its features. The amount of button clicking required to do anything made it utterly unusable to me, and I sent it back after a few sessions of trying to work with it. So, sure, it sounds good, but not worth the torture and limitations to try and program it, IME.

2) Hydrasynth - I have a HS desktop, have only had a few days with it so far. In general, I'd say that the demos do not do it's sound capability justice. Yes, you can do really buzzy, edgy, even harsh sounds with it .. and a lot of the included waves tend to lend themselves to that, as does it's really full audio range with how things like the filters are tuned. That said, it can do far more than that, including much more analog-sounding sounds. It has so many variables that can be adjusted that I think it's going to be some time before folks get the hang of it's full range. Also, the interface on this thing is fabulous. It's easily the best I've ever used for something that's not knob-per-function, which would be essentially impossible on this synth anyway. The pads on the desktop version are excellent, with different modes that make them even more useful. FX are quite nice overall, the arp has some great features, and there are just a bunch of cool little features to be found that can also be easily ignored if you want. The well-written manual is a surprising bonus. Keeping the filter fairly closed down, going light on key tracking, use of the filter drive, and adding some eq (there's a multi-band eq available as part of the FX) all will help keep it from going buzzy, if that's what you're after.

Here's a quick clip I recorded with the HS yesterday: https://soundcloud.com/steve-mccready-1 ... in/s-ZoUCs. (The background noise you'll hear in part of the recording is my shitty recording equipment, not the HS' fault).

joris.roling
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joris.roling » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:30 am

Hydrasynth get's an v1.30 update including full MPE support! 😃

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:18 pm

MPE announced but not yet available.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 am

Ric0chet wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:31 pm
A little late to the party, but since I own a Hydrasynth and have owned a Kyra, I thought I'd offer my .02:
Excellent first post. I liked your HS patch and welcome to MW. :party:

joris.roling
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joris.roling » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:35 pm

New Hydrasynth firmware v1.30 here: http://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/downloads

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:48 am

One thing i'm struggling to find out is how the MPE will work. Have they implemented y-axis control on each key?

Return to “General Gear”