Serge gate sequencer - patch suggestions

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Serge gate sequencer - patch suggestions

Post by FatRocky » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:03 pm

double post sorry :doh:
Last edited by FatRocky on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:58 pm
FatRocky wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:10 pm
luketeaford wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:53 pm
Sick! 8-)
This is another one i did before where the Scrotum Lab Gate Sequencer panel is driving everything, included the LW Programmer and DUSG. At that time, I didn´t know well how the switches worked exactly, so i was more focused on changing the the step number rotary switch and switching from internal to external manually in order to find beats. You can see the LEDs at the left top corner.
Lots of awesome moments in that one too. I'm not familiar with the panel-- is it two sequential switches and a gate sequencer? :sb:

No, the panel includes a Stroh Pico Oscillator ( as a way of internal clock that can be synchronized, fm´d , and voltage controlled). Then, there are those two sections of double switch columns, each with two outputs: PULSE and FULL . Pulse outputs always a pulse ( i think half duty cycle ... Robert please correct me if i´m wrong) and the FULL output sums up the duty cycles of either pulse position or full position (which is like a square pulse,,,, again please correct me if i´m wrong) So if you have 3 adjacent steps switched at full , there will be a long rectangle at the full output and three continuous pulses at the pulse output.. Then on the right, the gate sequencer. On top the rotary switch for the steps , and all control inputs, and Reset button and switches which are really cool. Not sure which circuit was used for the switch columns, but i think it´s one of his own.
scrolab gate.jpg
scrolab gate.jpg (467.36 KiB) Viewed 197 times

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:58 pm

FatRocky wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 pm
So if you have 3 adjacent steps switched at full , there will be a long rectangle at the full output and three continuous pulses at the pulse output.
That is a killer feature. I understand the behavior of full (a lot of my sequencers work that way), but it's a bit annoying to patch the desired behavior every time.

cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cygmu » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:49 am

FatRocky wrote:
Not sure which circuit was used for the switch columns, but i think it´s one of his own.
The full/pulse mix switches are part of the CGS89 design from Ken Stone: https://sdiy.info/wiki/CGS_gate_sequencer

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:15 am

cygmu wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:49 am
FatRocky wrote:
Not sure which circuit was used for the switch columns, but i think it´s one of his own.
The full/pulse mix switches are part of the CGS89 design from Ken Stone: https://sdiy.info/wiki/CGS_gate_sequencer

cool , thanks for the info

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:05 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:58 pm
FatRocky wrote:
So if you have 3 adjacent steps switched at full , there will be a long rectangle at the full output and three continuous pulses at the pulse output.
That is a killer feature. I understand the behavior of full (a lot of my sequencers work that way), but it's a bit annoying to patch the desired behavior every time.
Sorry I didn't see this thread ealier as I don't visit the Buchla part of the forum (came here to answer a PM question in another thread)
There's no need to patch the desired behavior every time. The FULL out allows you to output GATE or FULL, depending of the position of the switch (either GATE or FULL).
cygmu wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:49 am
FatRocky wrote:
Exactly. The circuit and the PCB are CGS89 by Ken Stone. What I did is making the panel, adding the PICO VCO, and making a PCB with mods and panel components for no wiring.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:17 pm

batchas wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:05 pm
Oh sorry-- I mean to say that it is annoying to patch the behavior on sequencers that don't give you the choice of full/gate! :doh:

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:17 pm

batchas wrote:
The FULL out allows you to output GATE or FULL, depending of the position of the switch (either GATE or FULL).
Oh sorry-- I mean to say that it is annoying to patch the behavior on sequencers that don't give you the choice of full/gate! :doh:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:40 pm

FatRocky wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:16 pm
I¨ve been doing some proto testing with Metasonix 4u modules and I used my Scrotum Lab Serge Sequencer mclass panel which i find awesome and lots of fun. So even if this is more of a metasonix video, it shows the SCROLAB Gate Sequencer altering it´s own clock by patching one of it´s adjustable pulse outputs to the 1v/OCT CV input of the Stroh Pico VCO included in the panel a a source of internal clock. (just one of it´s cool features)

Nice work on the Scrotum. This type of physical control is why I have kept an old Analog Solutions GT-8 Gate Sequencer. With e 2 buss and null manual control and the trigger outputs, there is just a simple hands on pleasure that can't be had otherwise.

Excellent tones too btw - nice.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:18 am

luketeaford wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:17 pm
batchas wrote:
The FULL out allows you to output GATE or FULL, depending of the position of the switch (either GATE or FULL).
:tu:
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”