Rack Evaluation Please. Hope this is in the right place.

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Seb
Learning to Wiggle

Rack Evaluation Please. Hope this is in the right place.

Post by Seb » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:21 am

Hello Gentlemen,

Its been a while but I have been lurking a good deal.

I have put a rack together ....always under review and hopefully added to soon as I have some space and cash at hand.

I attempt to make a lot of ambient soundscape and generative stuff.

The sequencer in the top corner is actually a Klee (which is on the way from the USA) with O & C mainly on quantizer duty.

I only currently have one outboard effects unit and that is the Eventide Space hence the Knob.farm Ferry.

I am looking to maybe look at getting a worng sound stage as I like working with stereo and making wide stereo images and panned soundscapes.

Some more voices would be good so looking on some advice there.....

also how I could improve on modulation sources/ combos and maybe a better final mixing solution ...am I doubling up somewhere? Not enough VCAs?.. currently I just record my tracks live out of X-pan into a Zoom H5 recorder. (Which is great for getting sounds into the ER301)

So please fire away !!!!!

And thanks in advance.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1050788

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:52 am

I give this rack 7 bananas out of 10
:ripbanana: :banana: :nana: :sadbanana: :deadbanana: :bananaguitar: :rastanana:

(also there's a "show screenshot" function in ModularGrid to share your racks)

P.S.: share you tracks!

foliephonics
Common Wiggler

Post by foliephonics » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:45 am

Since you're in Australia, you should definitely look up NLC modules, esp the Triple Sloth.
Cheers !

bryantcheramie
Alopex

Post by bryantcheramie » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:49 am

I was wondering were all the 'comment on my rack' posts were, hah

My 2 cents:

Oscillators:
-Elements is good for your intention
-No comment on the Piston Honda, other than I always liked Harvestman stuff, for when I was going for something more industrial than pretty.
-I really wanted to like the DPO, but I ultimately got rid of mine, the work flow with it was slow for me.
-I think the Arushi could be swapped for a sound source with more tricks (disclaimer, ive never owned one)
-Possibly a Synth Tech E530 (basic Waveforms, Supersaw, cloud terrarium, complex lfo), Verbos harmonic oscillator (basic and harmonic sine), Waldorf NW-1 (really like to run this as a drone),

Filters
:tu:

Modulation
If you want to add more, I would suggest a knob recorder (I like PH01s, but thats all ive used). Also, that E520 would be a good mod source.

Mixing
Hard to say, depends how you like to do things. I use 3 intellijel mutagens to mix down 18 inputs to 8 outputs, but thats just how I like to do it.

FX
I would suggest adding more
-Strymon Magneto, you'll want to run everything through this
-Panharmonic, this thing really surprised me when I got it
-Synth Tech Hyperion (not out yet)

Seb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Seb » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:51 am

ggillon wrote:I give this rack 7 bananas out of 10
:ripbanana: :banana: :nana: :sadbanana: :deadbanana: :bananaguitar: :rastanana:

(also there's a "show screenshot" function in ModularGrid to share your racks)

P.S.: share you tracks!
Damn....missed that function. Thought I was doing well to upload a pic. A bit small though.

Yes I will have to upload some tracks when I get back to Australia.

Thanks for all the bananas.

Seb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Seb » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:52 am

foliephonics wrote:Since you're in Australia, you should definitely look up NLC modules, esp the Triple Sloth.
Cheers !
Hahaha...yes I actually have one would you believe...just forgot to add it on MG.

##Actually I did add it ...its the Magpie panel next to Akemie's 8-)
Last edited by Seb on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Seb » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:58 am

bryantcheramie wrote:I was wondering were all the 'comment on my rack' posts were, hah

Glad you found your way here. Thanks for your 2c....much appreciated.

My 2 cents:

Oscillators:
-Elements is good for your intention
-No comment on the Piston Honda, other than I always liked Harvestman stuff, for when I was going for something more industrial than pretty.

Some nice Dark sounds out of the PH

-I really wanted to like the DPO, but I ultimately got rid of mine, the work flow with it was slow for me.
-I think the Arushi could be swapped for a sound source with more tricks (disclaimer, ive never owned one)

Anushri isn't that modulatable but I just love the big sweeps and gnarly bass lines you can get out of it.

-Possibly a Synth Tech E530 (basic Waveforms, Supersaw, cloud terrarium, complex lfo), Verbos harmonic oscillator (basic and harmonic sine), Waldorf NW-1 (really like to run this as a drone),

I would love a Verbos Harmonic Osc but very pricey and large real-estate.....I was actually thinking to get some more LS1 Lightstrips for making a workaround Verbos Harm Osc that Neil Parfitt designed in the ER-301 which is amazing!

Filters
:tu:

Modulation
If you want to add more, I would suggest a knob recorder (I like PH01s, but thats all ive used).

Knob Recorder is something I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

Also, that E520 would be a good mod source.

Mixing
Hard to say, depends how you like to do things. I use 3 intellijel mutagens to mix down 18 inputs to 8 outputs, but thats just how I like to do it.

Great solution. I looked at the Mutagen awhile ago ...compact and neat but discontinued and hard to find.
Where do you take your 8 outputs? An external mixer?

FX
-Strymon Magneto, you'll want to run everything through this.

Will look at this...love tape-emulation delays...used to own a Roland Space Echo about 25 years ago!

-Panharmonic, this thing really surprised me when I got it

The Rossum-Electro Panharmonium? Crazy beast ....saw a demo of it ages ago....I might revisit it....I have always liked things like the Benjolin and even some of that crazy Voltek stuff. Great for soundscape and textural stuff

-Synth Tech Hyperion (not out yet)
Yes saw Divkids demo amazing stereo effects ...will definately set some new standards. I think about $600USD on the Kickstarter and ready next June.

bryantcheramie
Alopex

Post by bryantcheramie » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:21 am

Seb wrote: Mixing

Great solution. I looked at the Mutagen awhile ago ...compact and neat but discontinued and hard to find.
Where do you take your 8 outputs? An external mixer?
My studio interface has 24 inputs, 8 are dedicated to the modular. As a default, The first six are configured 6 as mono and the remaining two as stereo. All the inputs run through some nice pres before they go into the interface; it's not really needed, but that how I like to do things.
Seb wrote: FX
-Strymon Magneto, you'll want to run everything through this.

Will look at this...love tape-emulation delays...used to own a Roland Space Echo about 25 years ago!
I can not stress how good of a module/delay this is. It crushes every metric: quality, specs, ergonomics, how quickly it can spit out something musical, how easy it is to pan the different tape heads,etc. Strymon was always under my radar because I dont play guitar. A month after I got the Magneto, I bought three of the guitar FX pedals to run as an outboard FX loop in my studio.

foliephonics
Common Wiggler

Post by foliephonics » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 am

Seb wrote:##Actually I did add it ...its the Magpie panel next to Akemie's 8-)
Haha ! Missed that, I was looking for Andrew's usual panel !
:yay:

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:00 am

DPO & Honda really cover a lot of ground together. Jealous of the Akemie's Castle. Several modules I'm not familiar with at all. Work flow looks intimidating to me.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”