Should I keep my Squarp Pyramid?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

jpeterman
Common Wiggler

Should I keep my Squarp Pyramid?

Post by jpeterman » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:22 am

I no doubt like alot of things about it. But I don't use half its features. I've had it for maybe 8 months and have barely done more than sequence a handful of 2 bar loops. Since I went down the modular rabbit hole about a month ago, it seems a bit more necessary. But I find I'm so much more efficient in Ableton. My music also seems to sound a bit better? I don't know what it is. But with Ableton the training wheels are off, whereas with the Pyramid I'm still on occasion scrambling through tutorials and such. Its no doubt fun because it keeps me away from the computer and doesn't require a keyboard and mouse.

But I could do more with the spare $600. Maybe get a circuit? I loved how simple and easy that thing was and it would scratch my sequencer itch.

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:16 am

The past few years, my rule has become - if I'm not using it (for whatever reason), sell it.

Especially with sequencers, it's a very personal tool and what works for one person may not work for another.

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:42 am

I've swapped out more sequencers than any other type of module in my rack. I haven't found anything yet that satisfies. They either have more features than I can manage or two few steps. (Sixteen is my minimum.)

I once built a Hexinverter Orbitals... even ordered the white momentary switches direct from Taiwan. I wish I hadn't sold it. It was immediate and easy to use. Now I'm holding out for the Erica Synths Black Sequencer. It appears to strike the right balance between the immediacy of dials for CV value and the right number of steps.

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:33 am

If you don't use half Pyramid features, and seem unwilling to dive into this gear, and have rarely used it in the last 8 months, for sure you should sell it and allow somebody else to enjoy this sequencer.

Even though it's water over the bridge, did you try to get acquainted with Pyramid, look into the manual, read about the functionalities, watch the videos, before getting it ?

Anyway, maybe look into a Korg SQ1, or digitak, or beatstep pro.

:)

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:51 am

You don’t have to use it as the do everything sequencer it can be. Try out some of the cool unique things it can do, if you haven’t already. If those don’t add value then sure, sell it, why not? Midi effects, stacking midi effects, automation of midi cc, automation of midi effects, euclidian patterns, and consolidation are at the top of my list that make it a inspiring creative tool.

Check out this vid.

jabberwalky
Common Wiggler

Post by jabberwalky » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:58 am

Sell it. Circuit is much more immediate.
https://www.youtube.com/c/fortressofsound/ - Synth demos and other absurd nonsense

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:39 am

When in doubt.... axe it.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:05 am

Sell. Software + large tablet display or touch screen is the way to go for sequencing. Software literally and metaphorically runs loops around any and all hardware sequencers!

Return to “General Gear”