Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Has anyone used one of these side by side with the saturator nt-02a? curious about the MC's saturation capabilities in comparison to what the saturator can accomplish. It seems MC is far more versatile and more than one would need, but if saturation is the main end-goal is it better to save 1,200 and go with nt-02a?

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:31 pm

jamb wrote:Has anyone used one of these side by side with the saturator nt-02a? curious about the MC's saturation capabilities in comparison to what the saturator can accomplish. It seems MC is far more versatile and more than one would need, but if saturation is the main end-goal is it better to save 1,200 and go with nt-02a?
I haven't had the chance to use a nt-02a, but I did look into it extensively before buying my Modular Channel. I read up on it and listened/watched all the demos I could find and compare.

Ultimately, the versatility of the Modular Channel won me over... even when we are just talking about a Saturation box. On the Modular Channel, there are so many ways to achieve saturation, and so many interesting ways to combine them. That appealed to me more than the nt-02a which seems a little more like a 1-trick pony and lacks a compressor and other bells and whistles the Modular Channel has.

I'm sure the nt-02a does exactly as advertised and is a great saturation box. But the Modular Channel is designed for those who want more flexibility with crafting their own flavor of saturation through experimentation. For example, I can simply bypass the EQ, the Saturation, and the filter circuits, and figure out ways to tweak just the compressor by itself in a way that saturates nicely to my ears. There's a lot of different paths to take on it to reach the same goal... saturation.

Just all depends on which road you want to take to get to that same destination... the nt-02a offers a super fast highway, straight and narrow to the destination, where as the Modular Channel is a complex set of back roads and alternative scenic routes.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:41 pm

My modular channel arrived a couple of weeks ago but I've only just had a chance to use it. I am very impressed by its ability to push audio to extremes while also maintaining control/fidelity. I haven't found a sound yet that it can't improve in some way.

Not much to add which hasn't already been stated here. Just wanted to join the chorus of praise.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:10 pm

this thing is beast

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri May 03, 2019 6:26 am

I've been lusting over the stereo version but it seems you have to order directly from the states. No dealers in EU.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Fri May 03, 2019 7:59 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:I've been lusting over the stereo version but it seems you have to order directly from the states. No dealers in EU.
Funky Junk carries some Overstayer stuff, but they don't list the Modular Channel. I suppose you could ask them about it if you want them to import it for you.

I've got a Stereo Voltage Control and I absolutely love it! The Modular Channel sure is tempting, but I want to try a MAS first...

Cheers :guinness:

Richie Jape
Common Wiggler

Post by Richie Jape » Fri May 03, 2019 11:04 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:I've been lusting over the stereo version but it seems you have to order directly from the states. No dealers in EU.
i got one from KMR in London ... shipped to Sweden literally the next day !

about a month ago ... it's an incredible unit ...

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Fri May 03, 2019 11:19 am

I always start crying when I read about this unit. There was a guy in Rotterdam selling one at the start of the year, his asking price was €2200, I negotiated him down to €1800 but said I needed a month to raise the funds. In the meantime he then sold it to someone else.... for €1500!
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri May 03, 2019 11:20 am

There's a link giving Dealers, but somehow not shown on the Modular Channel page...
http://overstayer-inc.squarespace.com/purchase-1

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am

BugBrand wrote:There's a link giving Dealers, but somehow not shown on the Modular Channel page...
I think it's because you can only buy the Modular Channel from them directly. :hmm: I could be wrong.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:41 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
BugBrand wrote:There's a link giving Dealers, but somehow not shown on the Modular Channel page...
I think it's because you can only buy the Modular Channel from them directly. :hmm: I could be wrong.
Definitely a direct only item that is made to order.
One day I will have one!!
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

seeasound
Common Wiggler

Post by seeasound » Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 pm

so is this thing like a high end sherman filterbank or what...demos seem to suggest so...comparing from demos the sherman seems to gets things more animated and interesting..

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:41 pm

seeasound wrote:so is this thing like a high end sherman filterbank or what...demos seem to suggest so...comparing from demos the sherman seems to gets things more animated and interesting..

Modular Channel: Stereo, Pre-amp, HP and LP filter, EQ, VCA Compressor, Harmonics section, the ability to route these sections in various ways.

Sherman FB; Mono, 2 SVF, ADSR, AR/VCA, LFO, Serial or Parallel operation.

I've had the FB for over a decade now and had a couple chances to mess with the Modular Channel. To make the comparison simple the FB is a guitar pedal and the MC is high end stereo dyamics processor with plenty of color. The FB is great for smashing a source where the MC can do everything from subtle to smash.
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

seeasound
Common Wiggler

Post by seeasound » Sat May 18, 2019 12:59 am

yeah overlooking the stereo thing i imagine it does the subtle thing better and is a more immediately approachable interface than the sherman. The parameters alone suggest some nice subtle enhancement of source material but all the youtube demos of the mod channel quickly get into crazy distortion....and not all of it has a flavour i am drawn too...so wondering if thats where the unit is supposed to excel...that point of breaking up the audio.

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Sat May 18, 2019 8:13 am

I'm curious how this thing compares to IOTINE core.

Illiac
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Illiac » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Just wanted to wake this thread up and spread the gospel of Jeff/ OS. I’ve had the chance to audition all of his rack units, which are all fantastic. The Modular Channel is incredibly labor-intensive to build, hence it's exclusive direct order availability. I'll be taking delivery of one soon and have never been as excited for a piece of outboard in my life. In a world of subtle Porticos/ Fusions/ ETC, Overstayer shit goes so much further, it's beyond comparison. Jeff is a total synth head, as well. If you can only have 1 piece of outboard, you'd be hard-pressed to do better than the MC

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by wigwig » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:02 pm

Illiac wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:31 pm
Just wanted to wake this thread up and spread the gospel...
Amen. :spin:

I’m hoping you, or someone else who has a MC, might tell me how deep it is, front to back.

I know it’s a rackable 2U, but I can’t find the third dimension anywhere.

I’d have to rethink if it’s more than 15” (38cm).

Thnx
Mabel encounters a peahen.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:15 am

Just dicovered this thing via this video :

... and now I want one.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by guigui » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:14 am

Illiac wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:31 pm
Just wanted to wake this thread up and spread the gospel of Jeff/ OS. I’ve had the chance to audition all of his rack units, which are all fantastic. The Modular Channel is incredibly labor-intensive to build, hence it's exclusive direct order availability. I'll be taking delivery of one soon and have never been as excited for a piece of outboard in my life. In a world of subtle Porticos/ Fusions/ ETC, Overstayer shit goes so much further, it's beyond comparison. Jeff is a total synth head, as well. If you can only have 1 piece of outboard, you'd be hard-pressed to do better than the MC
Since you tested them all personally I'd like to ask you something. I've hear that the Modular Chanel has MAS and Saturator "in" it. Is that correct? It seems like Jeff put it all together in one unit.

And have you had the opportunity to test the Imperial Channel?

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:55 pm

Would anyone here mind to post some inside pics?
there's very little infos on whats inside.. tubes, trannies?
what EQ topology what do we have here? passive? active?
what compressor is used? FET? VCA?

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:02 pm

Portabella wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:55 pm
Would anyone here mind to post some inside pics?
there's very little infos on whats inside.. tubes, trannies?
what EQ topology what do we have here? passive? active?
what compressor is used? FET? VCA?
I sure as hell wouldn't want to rip mine open... but I was curious too and found a video that showed one without it's lid on which revealed some of the internal stuff. I also saw someone post pictures somewhere with one open. I believe this was the post I am thinking of: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=13540851&postcount=145
Last edited by VanEck on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:21 pm

would anyone have any suggestions for a similar device in a $1500 price range? I might save up for one of these, but it seems like overkill for my level of skill. I would just like a great sounding rack saturator / compressor to put the final touch on the mix.

I was thinking about getting an analog heat just to get by for a while, but i've heard many mixed opinions on it. I don't plan on using the EQ / filters so much, unless anyone has some experience to say that i might find those functions useful on an entire mix.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:24 pm

VanEck wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:02 pm
I sure as hell wouldn't want to rip mine open... but I was curious too and found a video that showed one without it's lid on which revealed some of the internal stuff. I also saw someone post pictures somewhere with one open. I believe this was the post I am thinking of: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=13540851&postcount=145
Great ! Thanks for the heads-up.. there I have my pics.. even better than I expected :)

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 am

inoshi wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:21 pm
would anyone have any suggestions for a similar device in a $1500 price range? I might save up for one of these, but it seems like overkill for my level of skill. I would just like a great sounding rack saturator / compressor to put the final touch on the mix.

I was thinking about getting an analog heat just to get by for a while, but i've heard many mixed opinions on it. I don't plan on using the EQ / filters so much, unless anyone has some experience to say that i might find those functions useful on an entire mix.
If software is ok I would highly recommend Soundtoyz Decapitator. Otherwise maybe keep an eye out for an Overstayer ID-4. That OTO machines box looks nice too but I'm not personally in love with the interface (saying this as a BAM owner).

SmokyClap
Common Wiggler

Post by SmokyClap » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:26 am

inoshi wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:21 pm

Same company makes a mono version that offers slightly pared down versions of all the same features for around $1,400. Search Overstayer Imperial Channel. Sounds like you’re looking for a stereo device, though.

Return to “General Gear”