Can you believe someone shipped a buchla like this?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

johnnywoods
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Can you believe someone shipped a buchla like this?

Post by johnnywoods » Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 pm

I'll reveal the name of the seller if he doesn't make things right, but I purchased this 201e-18 from a fellow wiggler and he DIDNT SHIP IT IN A BOX. Tons of damage (of course), including a bent middle boat, dents on the wood, and this cool piece that just fell off entirely. :cry: :bang: :mad:

What would you do?

UPDATE: this was shipped by a private seller, NOT BUCHLA. And the seller went to great lengths to coordinate a brand new set of wood ends to be sent to me via Buchlas top notch customer service. Happy ending!

Last edited by johnnywoods on Wed May 30, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Thu May 24, 2018 10:02 pm

The "Mail Boxes Etc." tape tells the whole story right there.

This is the kind of thing that happens when you drop an item off at a shipping place and let them "professionally pack" it for you, instead of packing the thing yourself.

"Professionally Packed" may be the two most terrifying words that I've ever seen in a gear ad..

folpon
Common Wiggler

Post by folpon » Thu May 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Is... this... real? Did I somehow URL-warp to Synthmemes?

Jesus man, so sorry. :evil: :deadbanana:

radams
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by radams » Thu May 24, 2018 10:09 pm

At the very least I would open any kind of claim or dispute resolution that you can. The wood can be replaced and the boat can be repaired.
Or, try and get a refund. This shit is just too expensive to receive in that condition.
Sorry man. Really sucks.

Minimoog56
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Minimoog56 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:21 pm

Just demand a full refund and ship it back.
Beatniks and Bongos/Bagels and Bongos/Buchlas and Bongos...

de gustibus....

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri May 25, 2018 3:55 am

Full refund. No need to pick up someone else’s additional burden when there are more than enough of them out there. Plus, you’ll sour on the case and experience.

It looks like the seller packed it at the location using their tape.

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Fri May 25, 2018 5:07 am

Besides the damage to the wood and the bent boat which can be repaired, i would be scared that the circuit boards might have micro cracks or worse.
It's really a shame.
Sure, the couriers sometimes do not handle fragile stuff with enough care.
But in this case the shipper is the only one one to blame.
A heavy item like this needs structural support and a proper hard case when shipped.
I really hope you are getting you money back as this was just careless.
If not you might want to talk to Eric about possibilities to replace the damaged parts and bill the shipper.

yan6
Ultra Wiggler

Post by yan6 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:41 am

If you paid with paypal (not friends and family) don't even sweat it, your covered, open a dispute.

What a jerk tho :zombie:

johnnywoods
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by johnnywoods » Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 am

The seller has promised to make things right. Apparently, he left it at the shippers like that, but assumed they would box it etc before shipping. He had no intention of it shipping that way, which is nice to know.

I'm going to see if Buchla can repair it at his expense before shipping back. Thanks for all the advice, and most of all, thanks for being a great place to blow off steam!

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Fri May 25, 2018 1:20 pm

:(

This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri May 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Unreal!

I ordered a full case of modules directly from Modcan and it came in a box with one thin layer of bubble wrap around it. Case was damaged and incomplete. He never made good on it. And this is straight from the business. That Modcan guy(Bruce) is a total douchebag and so is whoever sent you this.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

tonyt138
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tonyt138 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:32 pm

I can't believe anyone would ship anything like this, much less a Buchla. I wouldn't ship a literal brick like that. Glad to hear the seller's trying to make things right. May not have much experienced with packing and shipping, but seriously, i would never trust a third party to package something.

I can only imagine your disappointment when it arrived that way,
after the excitement of ordering and waiting for it.

Yikes, hope everything works out for ya!

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Fri May 25, 2018 3:11 pm

I got a Cwejman module once that had been packed in a box... and by that I mean the module was simply in the box - no packing material, rattling around loose, etc. Fortunately, no damage. But seriously, what goes through peoples' minds sometimes? (In this case the minds of the MBE muppets.)

Shame about that MBE - the old location here in town (now a UPS Store but owned by the same woman) has always been excellent at packing. I have them pack up keyboard synths for me on the rare occasion I ship one and they do a fantastic job. I couldn't do any better, and I know what I'm doing.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Fri May 25, 2018 5:22 pm

Note to self to not complain as much about shoddy packing when said shoddy packing includes at least a box. :doh:

That's just shameful packing.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Fri May 25, 2018 6:22 pm

Cannot believe---
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Fri May 25, 2018 10:53 pm

I’d be heartbroken
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Sat May 26, 2018 2:57 am

I have had once a Roland system 100M (cabinet with modules) + KB wrapped in a blanket shipped to me, the only damage was a broken bender on the KB!

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Sat May 26, 2018 10:40 am

johnnywoods wrote:The seller has promised to make things right. Apparently, he left it at the shippers like that, but assumed they would box it etc before shipping. He had no intention of it shipping that way, which is nice to know.

I'm going to see if Buchla can repair it at his expense before shipping back. Thanks for all the advice, and most of all, thanks for being a great place to blow off steam!
"Nice to know"? You're being polite, right, or sarcastic? The only people I'd trust to handle expensive equipment are the colleagues who deal with the stuff on a daily basis and know what it's worth (not just as in a $$ figure on paper but also the rarity, the hassle etc). If someone has gone through the process of buying a Buchla system, and hence presumably owns other high end audio gear, they've probably had their share of bad shipping experiences. Or at least read about other people's.
No, it's not a good excuse. Not in today's hectic world at least.
Ok, maybe if he's local and knows the clerks from regular interactions. I won't get too judgemental here. Still, perplexing.

djangosfire
dimensionally transcendental

Post by djangosfire » Sat May 26, 2018 11:09 am

Yikes!

Hey @johnnywoods, I have a spare set of original Buchla top cab wood ends - I am happy to send them to you for no charge if it helps get your case back up and running!

Just send a PM, they are yours - Cheers! - Adam

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat May 26, 2018 11:47 pm

^ Righteous offer. :sun:

doepferiano
Wiggling with Experience

Post by doepferiano » Sun May 27, 2018 3:59 am

KUDOS !
djangosfire wrote:Yikes!

Hey @johnnywoods, I have a spare set of original Buchla top cab wood ends - I am happy to send them to you for no charge if it helps get your case back up and running!

Just send a PM, they are yours - Cheers! - Adam

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sun May 27, 2018 10:11 am

well, you need some experience in the harsh world of shipping. sat in an airplane once next to the loadingdock and i saw how they literally sat/stood on things to get 'm in the container. you need to doublepack and armour stuff to keep it safe. silly but unfortunatly true. you wouldn't believe it if you don't have some experience.
i also saw guys from ups smash things around in their van to get to the my package. bloody bastards. but then ups is by far the most unfriendly service i ever had. dhl is a lot friendlier.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Sun May 27, 2018 4:15 pm

djangosfire is :bananaguitar:

gone

Post by gone » Tue May 29, 2018 7:19 am

Somebody shipped me a tr-606 in a thin plastic bag once.
No bubble wrap, nothing.
Just the 606 in a bag.
You know, the kind in which you might receive a t-shirt or sweater?

[/img]

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue May 29, 2018 11:23 am

Being hit hard enough to break the wood end panel may mean more damage internally where it is not easily seen. Damage to parts (especially pots and switches) that are attached to front panels, and solder connections at between board headers and such. The lateral force that broke that end cheek stopped it, but everything else moved farther for sure.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”