Pre-patch and post-patch prep/documentation?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

intafon
Common Wiggler

Pre-patch and post-patch prep/documentation?

Post by intafon » Fri May 18, 2018 11:16 am

I've found that with some modules, it helps to document what I am planning to do before starting on a patch so I don't get bogged down looking through manuals trying to figure out what I am supposed to be doing.

For example, this is one I threw together in LucidChart based around something I wanted to do with Disting MK4 algorithm A6, namely to wire things up so that an un-quantized sequence could be quantized through Disting, while at the same time have its key changed via Pressure Points.

This takes thumbing through the PDF on my phone, reading through the description, thinking about where the parameter settings should be, etc. Planning this part of the patch helps me get this part wired up so that I can then proceed to get into the weeds and see where the base patch takes me.

What do folks typically use for mapping out patch ideas? Pen and graph paper, flowcharting software, powerpoint (ha)? I don't mean to document fully the patch, but just for putting together ideas or snippets that you want to work into an overall bigger patch, which would help get to the more organic process of building the full patch.

Similarly, what do folks use for documenting patches once they are in an interesting state? I've been trying to capture video documenting the full patch and the sounds coming out of it, but other than the sounds and the pretty lights, it is sort of like using a photo as a diagram for an architectural structure for a bird's nest, so half the time I look back and think, "hey that sounds pretty cool, how the hell did I patch that up?" I like to mostly tear down my patches at the end so I can start "fresh" the next time, so some decent documentation technique would help me revisit and re-explore aspects of previous interesting patches.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri May 18, 2018 3:34 pm

I reckon if I understand what's going on I could recreate it from first principles. Recreate isn't a good word. Even exactly the same patch never sounds the same twice. I record the audio if I like it, but I enjoy the ephemeral nature of the thing. :cloud:

intafon
Common Wiggler

Post by intafon » Fri May 18, 2018 5:38 pm

I'm all in on the ephemeral idea. (why i break it down after nearly every session); however, part of me wants to have a library of re-creatable patch "module/ideas" that I can tap into.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:08 pm

I use a notebook to keep patch ideas. Mine end up looking like molecules for some reason.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:41 pm

For sketches and ideas what you are doing is fine, but I prefer to keep the sketch high level rather than detail how specific modules are specifically connected.
For example, I'd have "unquantized sequence is quantized with key manually manipulated via external controller".

Looking back at your sketch a month from now this patch overview description wouldn't be clear at all.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Wed May 23, 2018 11:56 pm

I use a pen and notebook for scoping out little ideas, but for a performance I’m doing overseas, where I’ve designed the patch in my big system and then squeezed it into a travel case, I’ve used modulargrid to replicate my case and print out the patch along with a basic overview of the patch as symbols. In order to make the modulargrid pages readable, I’ve printed four layers, each with a sub-patch on it.
I’ve also added some parts of module documentation I might need and assembled the whole thing into a manual for the patch.
I had a chance to test this concept out by repatching it up from my documentation and it worked; I’ve been able to exactly replicate my original patch.
It took 3 hours to patch and tune it up! :party:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:43 am

Dcramer wrote:I had a chance to test this concept out by repatching it up from my documentation and it worked; I’ve been able to exactly replicate my original patch.
HERESY!!!
HERETIC!!!
WARLOCK AND WITCH!!!

Everyone knows this is theoretically impossible.
It's been mathematically proven once the patch cables are all disconnected that the patch becomes irreproducible no matter the encyclopedic attempt at "documentation".
The "jam" is released into the aether, never to be recreated again...

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu May 24, 2018 2:51 am

mt3 wrote:
Dcramer wrote:I had a chance to test this concept out by repatching it up from my documentation and it worked; I’ve been able to exactly replicate my original patch.
HERESY!!!
HERETIC!!!
WARLOCK AND WITCH!!!

It's been mathematically proven once the patch cables are all disconnected that the patch becomes irreproducible no matter the encyclopedic attempt at "documentation".
It's like cheating Death! You have angered the Gods. :hide:

intafon
Common Wiggler

Post by intafon » Thu May 24, 2018 10:19 am

cptnal wrote:
mt3 wrote:
HERESY!!!
HERETIC!!!
WARLOCK AND WITCH!!!

...or perhaps significant sums were preemptively paid out to Raijin, Indra, and Zeus...

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu May 24, 2018 10:56 am

My (rare) documentation for patch snippets usually looks something like this:
odd but smooth waveshaper / osc combiner:
one osc into Function or MiniSlew input
other osc (or second shape from first!) into FM, shape, rise, fall, whatever
And for recordings, this is as complete as I get:
Ixchel
-----------------
1: (crickets) Manis, Cinnamon HPF, Stages-controlled VCA; Uhbik-T (for stereo movement), SerumFX, Permut8
2: (drips) Donut (stupid mode, FM), Function cond by Wbug, A-101-2; FogCon
3: (bong) E370, NG (gates from marbles->TT, CV from TT)
4: (dong) Rings (gates from marbles->TT); ValPlate; TB EQ for spread
5: (randoms) Helix mod by TT Metro, W/; Ratshack, TransX, PottyMouth, VVV, TB EQ
...so I know which gear and plugins I used and a vague idea of what was controlling what, but the specifics are intentionally omitted.

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Thu May 24, 2018 7:25 pm

I have designed my synthesizer such that this is unnecessary, and the modules conform to what my brain wants rather than the other way around

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Thu May 24, 2018 9:28 pm

intafon wrote:
cptnal wrote:
mt3 wrote:
HERESY!!!
HERETIC!!!
WARLOCK AND WITCH!!!

...or perhaps significant sums were preemptively paid out to Raijin, Indra, and Zeus...
:lol:
Yup, and mah dick got bigger too :party:

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Fri May 25, 2018 9:51 am

I like to pre-plan the scales and chords I will be using.

The patching is as it goes.

BUT I should have put some schematics down on paper for good patches. Especially the sequencing/transposing part. I lost some good ideas I cant re-do....

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Sat May 26, 2018 11:04 am

Magic ingredient, not regarded as highly in electronic circles as in players of instruments: "practice"

I've practiced memorizing & recalling patches by starting to do so with simple patches, then when I've done that a nauseating number of times, intermediate patches, etc.

Sure, it's intrinsic to synthesizers to seduce the user to circumvent that evolution and just obtain instant gratification from creating a new patch every time. But that's not the only legit way to use modulars. It was different before electronic patch storage arrived.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”