what does "accent" actually do?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

knotakt
Common Wiggler

what does "accent" actually do?

Post by knotakt » Fri May 18, 2018 2:53 pm

recently i've been thinking about what accent actually does on synths like on a tb303. I wonder how you can get "accent" on a modular. whats needed for this?

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri May 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Makes it a bit louder, so have multiple envelopes mixed together so that when they coincide they're higher voltage = let more signal through = louder.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: what does "accent" actually do?

Post by milkshake » Fri May 18, 2018 5:09 pm

knotakt wrote:recently i've been thinking about what accent actually does on synths like on a tb303. I wonder how you can get "accent" on a modular. whats needed for this?
Accent on the 303 raises level, cutoff, resonance and decreases the decay time.

To do it on a modular you'll need a cv/gate signal plus an accent signal. So if you use sequencers, you'll need 3 rows of sequencers.
Shall I ... blablabla ... to thee.

The more you pay for something, the less likely you are to critise it.

ContraPoints

knotakt
Common Wiggler

Post by knotakt » Fri May 18, 2018 6:03 pm

this sounds expensive

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by milkshake » Sat May 19, 2018 12:51 am

knotakt wrote:this sounds expensive
A Beatstep pro does it, twice. It'll have the 303 slide to. And you'll be able to sequence drums to.

ContraPoints

Jay F.
Common Wiggler

Post by Jay F. » Sat May 19, 2018 1:18 am

Hello,

thanks milkshake, I didn't know about the relationship between accent and decay time on the TB-303.
So I dug further and found this :

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/303-unique.html

This article details what accent does, how it does it and why it is difficult (article says impossible) to fully recreate it on a modular synth.
"We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse."
https://growyoursynth.blogspot.be/

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by milkshake » Sat May 19, 2018 4:51 am

Jay F. wrote:Hello,

thanks milkshake, I didn't know about the relationship between accent and decay time on the TB-303.
So I dug further and found this :

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/303-unique.html

This article details what accent does, how it does it and why it is difficult (article says impossible) to fully recreate it on a modular synth.
That was my source of info to.

I'm completely in love with the 303 sound.

Impossible seems like a challenge, It's on my mind for sure.
The "the second and subsequent response
curves go *higher*" seems to me the most difficult to do.

But the 303 is not alone in that respect. The Minimoog did it to and so does the Behringer Model D. At least the second note has more higher frequency content, see attached spectrogram of the Boog.
Attachments
Behringer Model D.png
Behringer Model D.png (129.2 KiB) Viewed 56 times

ContraPoints

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Sat May 26, 2018 11:32 am

Robin's writeup is 19 years old. Back then "modular synths" to most people meant Moog, ARP or Doepfer (a budding Doepfer, not today's million-module mammoth). The only envelope module with voltage controlled decay time available at that time was the Serge/ STS Universal Slope Generator. And there wasn't a huge market of clone/ tribute/ inspired by... VCF modules. I'm sure that if back then it was only 80% possible to reproduce the 303's behaviour in the specific situation Robin describes, it's 95% possible today.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat May 26, 2018 3:22 pm

addendum wrote:Robin's writeup is 19 years old. Back then "modular synths" to most people meant Moog, ARP or Doepfer (a budding Doepfer, not today's million-module mammoth). The only envelope module with voltage controlled decay time available at that time was the Serge/ STS Universal Slope Generator. And there wasn't a huge market of clone/ tribute/ inspired by... VCF modules. I'm sure that if back then it was only 80% possible to reproduce the 303's behaviour in the specific situation Robin describes, it's 95% possible today.
Yep, I'm not sure I see what the limitation in modular is today, assuming resources are available to you. But even without being able to modulate Decay, in 1999 you could have run one sequencer to an EG that acts as your Accent EG and another sequencer to a second EG that acts as your "Normal" EG.

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Sat May 26, 2018 4:40 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
addendum wrote:Robin's writeup is 19 years old. Back then "modular synths" to most people meant Moog, ARP or Doepfer (a budding Doepfer, not today's million-module mammoth). The only envelope module with voltage controlled decay time available at that time was the Serge/ STS Universal Slope Generator. And there wasn't a huge market of clone/ tribute/ inspired by... VCF modules. I'm sure that if back then it was only 80% possible to reproduce the 303's behaviour in the specific situation Robin describes, it's 95% possible today.
Yep, I'm not sure I see what the limitation in modular is today, assuming resources are available to you. But even without being able to modulate Decay, in 1999 you could have run one sequencer to an EG that acts as your Accent EG and another sequencer to a second EG that acts as your "Normal" EG.
Have you read Robin's article? It's not just about distributing modulation sources but about certain electrical properties that cause accumulated response to those. It's possible to patch that up with a large and well equipped modular, and probably was possible in 1999 with a Serge/ STS system. But not as easy and "intuitive" as a well done 303 clone module, of course.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat May 26, 2018 5:19 pm

addendum wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:
Have you read Robin's article? It's not just about distributing modulation sources but about certain electrical properties that cause accumulated response to those. It's possible to patch that up with a large and well equipped modular, and probably was possible in 1999 with a Serge/ STS system. But not as easy and "intuitive" as a well done 303 clone module, of course.
Oh it definitely wouldn't be as easy and intuitive...but still possible even if it's not absolutely 100% like a 303. For example for that "Accent Sweep Circuit" that Robin describes, you could sequence the EG amount or cutoff to emulate that effect.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”