My vintage synths values

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

My vintage synths values

Post by Tajnost » Wed May 09, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi, want to ask your opinion since I don't know nowadays market for vintage synths well... I want to trade my 2 old machines, feel really tired of that characters and used them million times in records, so they are sitting on the shelves for years, but at the same time I don't want to lose vintage touch and warmness once for all.

So I think I'd like to trade my Roland SH-2 for Moog Prodigy, and if possible my Korg Mono/Poly for Jupiter 4, both in perfect shape... Do you think it sounds like fair trade deals? Maybe someone would be interested? Any input is welcome...

oranginafiend
Common Wiggler

Post by oranginafiend » Wed May 09, 2018 10:49 pm

You're asking a forum to google the relative value of vintage synths for you? Not that it even matters if they are literally exactly the same value (which they're not), it only matters if you find someone who's interested in your specific trade, a venture which will probably have more success in the b/s/t section.

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Thu May 10, 2018 2:48 am

oranginafiend wrote:You're asking a forum to google the relative value of vintage synths for you? Not that it even matters if they are literally exactly the same value (which they're not), it only matters if you find someone who's interested in your specific trade, a venture which will probably have more success in the b/s/t section.
While you are absolutely correct in your response to their silly post; there is forum protocol and tradition - the PROPER first response to this type of question will always be to; never read the body of the post ONLY the subject which requires that the first reply always be " :75: "

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Sat May 26, 2018 12:16 pm

:75:

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: My vintage synths values

Post by WaveRider » Sat May 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Tajnost wrote: So I think I'd like to trade my Roland SH-2 for Moog Prodigy, and if possible my Korg Mono/Poly for Jupiter 4, both in perfect shape... Do you think it sounds like fair trade deals? Maybe someone would be interested? Any input is welcome...
I had all those 4 synths

sh2 is way better than a prodigy
jupiter 4 is a top pick, not even is the same league as the Korg

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Sat May 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Agree with the above.

SH2 is loads better than a prodigy. The Prodigy was a dodgy Moog that people liked because it was a cheap way to get Moog sounds. That isn't the case anymore. There are tons of brand new ways to get a Moog now and the Prodigy is overpriced.

The SH2 just has it's own magic. Very hard to explain.

But if you don't like the SH2, well trade away, but the Prodigy won't make you much happier.

Also agree that the Jupiter 4 destroys a Mono/Poly. The Mono is a great synth but the prices on them are way over the top right now. Probably good to take advantage of that.

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Sat May 26, 2018 4:15 pm

I agree with choir, bad idea on the SH02, good idea on the Jupiter.

bluehotel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bluehotel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:05 am

whatever you do, consider recapping the old capacitors. it'll take a couple hours and up to 100 bucks, but you can charge two hundred bucks since people don't want to do that themselves. or you could find an electrician and see how much they charge.

Return to “General Gear”