better recording workflow

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

wahee
Common Wiggler

better recording workflow

Post by wahee » Tue May 08, 2018 10:49 am

hi all

I currently have Cubase running as my sequencer and use some VST sound sources, mostly Kontakt.

I also have a Behringer USB 24 channel analogue mixer with several vintage analogue synths going into it. The mixers main out goes into the my UR22 audio interface.

I have the output of my UR22 audio interface going into the amp/speakers

Currently I record the final mix as heard to a portable audio recorder coming off my amp.

This is ok but I was wondering if there is a better way to record the entire mix VST/live synth into the computer as a final mix. I can do an audio export from Cubase but obviously only get the VST stuff.

best regards
Alan
Crystalline Stricture now on
tonnrecordings.com

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 pm

You can do a "live" export from Cubase, which will capture whatever bus you set (generally the main output). If your external synths are being routed through that bus, they will of course be included in the mixdown.

You could also create a new track in Cubase and set its input to be the main output to record the mix. If you want to interact with Cubase or your VSTs during mixdown this is probably a better approach than using export.

Ramases
Common Wiggler

Post by Ramases » Tue May 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Setup your VST sequences as desired.
Record the analogue synths into an audio track in Cubase, while playing back the VST stuff.
Then export the results.

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Tue May 08, 2018 3:13 pm

miminashi wrote:You can do a "live" export from Cubase, which will capture whatever bus you set (generally the main output). If your external synths are being routed through that bus, they will of course be included in the mixdown.

You could also create a new track in Cubase and set its input to be the main output to record the mix. If you want to interact with Cubase or your VSTs during mixdown this is probably a better approach than using export.
hi thanks for the response. When I do a live export, file, audio mixdown, only the VST is exported.

Also if if setup a stereo track and record the output,I get the external synth but no VST. Maybe I need to do some routing for the UR22 input. I used to have a Edirol UA25 and it had a button to mix down, but the UR22 doesn't seem to have anything
tonnrecordings.com

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Tue May 08, 2018 3:44 pm

should have also said, I have recorded the MIDI external synths into a spare channel in Cubase but the quality is poor and very noisy. Plus then I have to export the whole lot with VST. It seems actually easier and sonically superior to use an external recorder. Even Cubase's VST export seems to be some how compressed.

Of course it would be easy if I was just using VST but that's not an option
tonnrecordings.com

Return to “General Gear”