Want to start a Modcan B single tier 12U case / Opinions

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

audiosignal
Common Wiggler

Want to start a Modcan B single tier 12U case / Opinions

Post by audiosignal » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:29 pm

Thinking about starting a 5U Modcan B single tier 12U case with the following.

Selections:

1. 4VCA 31B
2. Dual Multimode 40B
3. VCDO 58B
4. Quad LFO 61B
5. Dual VDO 62B

+ another filter, I was thinking the Diode, CEM, or Matrix filter.

Thoughts:

1. Mixer - 4VCA 31B will serve as both VCA and Mixer functions.
2. Envelopes - Since I don't intend on using a keyboard I can exclude a dedicated EG module and utilize the Quad LFO 61B for similar functions.
3. Utility modules - I can later add and utilize an external Moog CP-251.

Questions:

1. Is the VCDO 58B AND Dual VDO 62B overkill or no?
2. Does the Quad LFO 61B in place of a EG module also work?
3. Which additional filter besides the Dual Multimode 40B would you choose between the Diode, CEM, and Matrix filter?

I am open to opinions and advice. Thanks.

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

Post by rezzn8r » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:41 pm

Planning a single-tier 12U Modcan system is extremely challenging for me.
Good-luck!
The 31B 4VCA works great as a mixer, so no issues there.
I'm not sure I agree with your logic regarding EGs. I don't use a keyboard either, but patch with EGs often. If you plan to ever use a sequencer with your modular, then you will want an EG. The 61B Quad LFO is a FUCKING AWESOME module, but it couldn't replace EGs for me.
I think after making some tough decisions you will come to the conclusion that you don't have room for 2 filters in a 12U system, but if I had to choose it would be the Matrix Filter.

Personally, I couldn't imagine a system this size without a Dual LFO

Modcan For Lfe
:modcan:
WTB: Miniwave Vowels & GR-New ROMs
-----------------
http://analognoisemonster.bandcamp.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rezzn8r

audiosignal
Common Wiggler

Post by audiosignal » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:11 pm

rezzn8r wrote:Planning a single-tier 12U Modcan system is extremely challenging for me.
Good-luck!
The 31B 4VCA works great as a mixer, so no issues there.
I'm not sure I agree with your logic regarding EGs. I don't use a keyboard either, but patch with EGs often. If you plan to ever use a sequencer with your modular, then you will want an EG. The 61B Quad LFO is a FUCKING AWESOME module, but it couldn't replace EGs for me.
I think after making some tough decisions you will come to the conclusion that you don't have room for 2 filters in a 12U system, but if I had to choose it would be the Matrix Filter.

Personally, I couldn't imagine a system this size without a Dual LFO

Modcan For Lfe
:modcan:
Thanks! Do you mean the Dual LFO as well as the Quad LFO in this same 12U system?
I love filters, that's why I wanted to squeeze in at least another one in there. I suppose I could remove the additional filter option and get an EG module? Thanks for your input.

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

Post by rezzn8r » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:28 pm

audiosignal wrote: Thanks! Do you mean the Dual LFO as well as the Quad LFO in this same 12U system?
Yes. The Dual LFO is WAY more than just a modulator. It is based on the Serge DUSG. It's a Slope Generator, and can perform many different functions.
-----------------

audiosignal
Common Wiggler

Post by audiosignal » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:40 pm

rezzn8r wrote:
audiosignal wrote: Thanks! Do you mean the Dual LFO as well as the Quad LFO in this same 12U system?
Yes. The Dual LFO is WAY more than just a modulator. It is based on the Serge DUSG. It's a Slope Generator, and can perform many different functions.
I think I was confusing the Quad LFO functions with the Dual LFO functions then. I thought the Quad LFO could essentially generate slope functions as well, maybe I'm mistaken.
What about giving up the Quad LFO for now in a system this compact, getting the Dual LFO instead and also the additional filter?

MrNezumi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrNezumi » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Is Modcan actually producing B modules now? I thought that was on (extended) hold.

bphenix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bphenix » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:21 pm

audiosignal wrote: What about giving up the Quad LFO for now in a system this compact, getting the Dual LFO instead and also the additional filter?
The QuadLFO and the DualLFO are pretty different in their applications beyond LFO functions.

As mentioned, the DualLFO is based on the Serge Universal Slope Generator. It can be an LFO, Envelope, Slew, 1-pole filter, clock divider.

The QuadLFO does a wider range of shapes and has more modulation options but it doesn't process audio signals (well, you can sorta use it as a sub-octave generator but not like the DualLFO) and isn't well suited as an envelope generator as it doesn't have a one-shot mode. But it can generate audio range signals.

In an compact system the QuadLFO is super dense and handy. But so is a DualLFO. In my 20u system I have both a QuadLFO and two DualLFOs (and only one filter). I'd recommend getting the DualLFO over a second filter in a system that compact. If I had to choose a filter, my favorite is the 4075 but that is a matter of taste for many and I've never had the chance to use the matrix filter.

Best of luck hunting down a system. I really hope Bruce's health allows him to produce modules again.

audiosignal
Common Wiggler

Post by audiosignal » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:26 pm

bphenix wrote:
audiosignal wrote: What about giving up the Quad LFO for now in a system this compact, getting the Dual LFO instead and also the additional filter?
The QuadLFO and the DualLFO are pretty different in their applications beyond LFO functions.

As mentioned, the DualLFO is based on the Serge Universal Slope Generator. It can be an LFO, Envelope, Slew, 1-pole filter, clock divider.

The QuadLFO does a wider range of shapes and has more modulation options but it doesn't process audio signals (well, you can sorta use it as a sub-octave generator but not like the DualLFO) and isn't well suited as an envelope generator as it doesn't have a one-shot mode. But it can generate audio range signals.

In an compact system the QuadLFO is super dense and handy. But so is a DualLFO. In my 20u system I have both a QuadLFO and two DualLFOs (and only one filter). I'd recommend getting the DualLFO over a second filter in a system that compact. If I had to choose a filter, my favorite is the 4075 but that is a matter of taste for many and I've never had the chance to use the matrix filter.

Best of luck hunting down a system. I really hope Bruce's health allows him to produce modules again.
Thanks. Last I heard on Facebook Bruce said he was doing well/better and would be restarting production again. His health is most important over anything so I hope he is feeling well.

audiosignal
Common Wiggler

Post by audiosignal » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:30 pm

bphenix wrote:

Thanks! Last I heard on Facebook Bruce said he was doing well/better and would be restarting production again. His health is most important over anything so I hope he is feeling well.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:23 am

Cool, I hope you can find those modules used or I especially hope Bruce gets back to full strength and resumes production! :hug: Or maybe GalaxiesMerged and/or DeadMau5 will become bored with their massive B systems and flood the market? :eek: :hihi:

One thing I would suggest is getting two of the 58B OR two of the 62B and not one of each. I've made it sort of a rule now that any system I put together will have at a minimum TWO VCOs that are the same brand and model. (same goes for VCFs, EGs and VCAs but I'm not quite as strict for those) This is because when I don't have duplicate VCOs I seem to often have to compromise what I want to do, even if I have two basic VCOs from different manufacturers. It may be just a mental issue on my part, but . . . why fight it? :hmm: :despair: :party: :hihi:

Another thing to consider would be to get the 60B quad envelope instead of the 61B quad LFO. :eek: :mrgreen: Why? Because each of 4 sections of the of the 60B can be put into LFO mode! :tu: I know, the LFO capabilities of the 61B are much greater than the 60B but the 60B is likely a much better EG? (I've never had the pleasure of trying the 61B). While you aren't going to be playing a keyboard 9or using a sequencer?) you still may find having some EG's to fire off from LFOs etc very useful?

Also consider instead of adding a second filter (since the 40B covers a LOT of ground) consider adding an 18B dual lag and a 66B Control? The 66B will give you 4 modulation sources and the 18B will give you the ability to modify/smooth out modulation sources?

Here's a serving suggestion but what ever modules you choose I'm sure it will be a power, fun and great system! :cloud:

FWIW below is what my Modcan rack will look like once I get everything put back together. The bottom 10U row is a very nice and versatile "voice" (58B, 58B, 40B, 41B, 60B) and above that are a lot of modulation/sequencing/effects/etc things so the rack as a whole can be used stand-alone and a fun and powerful small system. (note that yes, it's a 12U tall rack and the two 55B quantizers will be mounded on their side)

DomMorley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DomMorley » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:50 am

My 2cents:

I'm a filter nut as well, and a big Modcan B fan. I have the Matrix and it's variety of different outputs is almost as fantastic as the sounds that come out of them! That's a great choice.
The other one I have is the 36B 4075 Low Pass, because it simply sounds amazing. I've got a lot of filters across all my modular, and the three kings for me are the 4075, MOTM 440 and MosLab 904A. A Modcan system built by a filter nut must have the 4075 in it!

Where are The Works? Great, just gonna toss my spanner in there...
How I fill my days: www.dommorley.com

"Your head will collapse, but there's nothing in it..."

audiosignal
Common Wiggler

Post by audiosignal » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:55 am

Wow thank you both! JLR thanks for so much info! I think I want to go for the 2 different oscillators for variety though! DM you made me want to stick with my 2 filters idea and definitely go for the Matrix filter! I just love having a variety of filter sections to color all the harmonics!

Ok, hypothetically, I'm still taking all these different angles into consideration, but if I were to go for 2 oscillators, 2 filters and the 4VCA, and (hypothetically) I had to choose either the Quad LFO or the Dual LFO, which would you choose if it were you? I know the Quad LFO has many functions and the Dual LFO can also function as slope generators, so the question is which of the 2 would serve a small system like this better? Thanks!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:59 am

I think you could solve a lot of decision problems if you would just commit to a 14 or 16 U case! :hihi: :goo: :sb:

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:33 am

audiosignal wrote:
Ok, hypothetically, I'm still taking all these different angles into consideration, but if I were to go for 2 oscillators, 2 filters and the 4VCA, and (hypothetically) I had to choose either the Quad LFO or the Dual LFO, which would you choose if it were you? I know the Quad LFO has many functions and the Dual LFO can also function as slope generators, so the question is which of the 2 would serve a small system like this better? Thanks!
The Dual LFO makes more sense to me in a small system. It can replace a lot of missing functions. The Quad may be overkill for a system of this size. I would get both and sacrifice a filter, but I am not a huge fan of resonant filters. If you are committed to two filters, this system may be a bit too small.

audiosignal
Common Wiggler

Post by audiosignal » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:06 am

Thank you both! JLR I think you're right! But I'm gonna take it 1 step at a time!

Therm thanks for that! I think those are the options I'm looking at, if not 2 filter modules then then both the Quald LFO and Dual LFO. If I did go for 2 filters for more filtering variety then your suggestions helps with which LFO module to get! Thanks!

audiosignal
Common Wiggler

Post by audiosignal » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:35 pm

Question, can the power on/off switch be installed on the back of the 12U case or do I have to use the 50B Power Supply for one of the module spaces in front?

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

Post by rezzn8r » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:12 pm

There is a power switch on the back of the case when the internal PSU is installed. No need for the 50B. In fact, I thought I read somewhere that it was discontinued.
-----------------

audiosignal
Common Wiggler

Post by audiosignal » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:18 pm

rezzn8r wrote:There is a power switch on the back of the case when the internal PSU is installed. No need for the 50B. In fact, I thought I read somewhere that it was discontinued.
Great, that's good to know, thanks rezz!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:29 pm

You might consider making your own case or having one made for you since we still don't know when Bruce will be actively producing products again and cases may be low on the priority list when he does get back to it?

If you do want to make your own case consider buying these rails from a good wiggler:
viewtopic.php?t=167491

audiosignal
Common Wiggler

Post by audiosignal » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:41 pm

JohnLRice wrote:You might consider making your own case or having one made for you since we still don't know when Bruce will be actively producing products again and cases may be low on the priority list when he does get back to it?

If you do want to make your own case consider buying these rails from a good wiggler:
viewtopic.php?t=167491
Also good to know, thanks JLR!

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:21 pm

Modcan 67B 48dB VCF for the win.
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

DomMorley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DomMorley » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:46 am

BTW there's a 4075 in the BST right now. They hardly ever come up (I believe the seller has at least one more that he's keeping), so I'd grab it if I were you and make a start.
How I fill my days: www.dommorley.com

"Your head will collapse, but there's nothing in it..."

Return to “5U Format Modules”