Micca Speck

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa, daverj

cephalopod
Common Wiggler

Micca Speck

Post by cephalopod » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Has anyone used these?

I'm looking to get a MVIP for my euro system soon and this seems like it would be the perfect low cost, portable way to send video into it.

johnnywoods
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by johnnywoods » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:46 pm

well, it's hdmi only, so maybe not the best choice.

for about the same price you could get a Raspberry Pi which also has composite outputs

cephalopod
Common Wiggler

Post by cephalopod » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Its hard to see it in the pictures but it also has a composite AV output.

I checked out the raspberry pi, and it looks pretty cool, but Ill probably go with this.

I dont have any experience with the raspberry pi. What would I use as an interface to select the video playing when using it live?

smrl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by smrl » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:56 am

ssh? :)

Ty
Common Wiggler

Post by Ty » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:59 pm

If you do get a Micca, please share your experiences here! Thanks! :party:

Arturo00
Maximum bass on all frequencies!

Post by Arturo00 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Ty wrote:If you do get a Micca, please share your experiences here! Thanks! :party:
+1
A/V: hardscience.ca
Twitter: @hardscience
Instagram: @le_douche & @hard_science

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:28 pm

Looks pretty cool. Nice and small, and cheap.

Based on the description it has the appropriate cable to put out composite, which should plug right into the MVIP.

I agree with the others, if you get it, let us know how it works. It's nice that it has a remote, and doesn't require a computer.

I wonder if you'll be able to switch clips without seeing some kind of on-screen overlay or menu.

cephalopod
Common Wiggler

Post by cephalopod » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:37 pm

daverj wrote:I wonder if you'll be able to switch clips without seeing some kind of on-screen overlay or menu.
I was worried about that too. I guess I'll find out when it gets here.
Should be within a week, so I'll post my initial experiences with it, and try it out with the MVIP when mine arrives.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:04 am

This looks potentially very cool for VJ stuff. I have the same curiosities about whether it goes from clip to clip without going to blue / green. I also would be curious if one can build playlists of photos and videos to play.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

Arturo00
Maximum bass on all frequencies!

Post by Arturo00 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:36 pm

revmutt wrote:This looks potentially very cool for VJ stuff. I have the same curiosities about whether it goes from clip to clip without going to blue / green. I also would be curious if one can build playlists of photos and videos to play.
Or if it loops seemlessly.
A/V: hardscience.ca
Twitter: @hardscience
Instagram: @le_douche & @hard_science

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:09 am

Reviews seem to be generally good. I get the feeling it's something that probably is good for entertainment and if one is going to use it in a live situation it's going to have to be in a mixer with a preview monitor so the audience doesn't get to watch one fumble with menus

There are a number of videos on youtube:

Tommy DOG

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:55 pm

One thing I notice on the first video above is that after you start the video, the "play" icon stays on the screen for several seconds.

cephalopod
Common Wiggler

Post by cephalopod » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:52 pm

So I got my Speck and MVIP a little while ago, and have been having a lot of fun playing with the combination.

It always shows play, fast forward etc icons, and unfortunately it doesnt look like theres a way to turn them off. I looked through the manual and the menu's and couldnt find any way to disable them like I can on my projector.

This doesnt bother me much though, as I wouldnt be spending much time switching between clips anyway. I'm doing all the visuals on top of performing all of the audio for my sets, so I just let one or two video collages I prepared earlier roll while I process it through the MVIP.
Im not sure if you can make playlists right on the speck, but I just put everything in different subfolders on the flash drive I put in it.

Its not perfect, but for how little it cost Im very happy with it.
Performed with it and the MVIP for the first time last night:
https://www.facebook.com/merkular/media ... 545&type=2

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:05 pm

I believe I read that it wasn't able to do playlists but I do find it odd that it always shows what mode it's in, I suspect that you can disable that.
Tommy DOG

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:41 pm

I bought a Micca Speck as well as another, almost identical looking one just called "Mini HD Media Box".

There is either a problem with the specific Mica Speck I got, or they have an issue with an HD display that only goes to 1080i instead of 1080p. It works fine with the SD (AV) output, but with HDMI my monitor says there's something wrong with the signal. I tried using the AV out and then setting the HD mode manually to 1080i (also tried 720p) but when I switch the monitor to the HDMI input I still get the error message.

I'm going to take it over to a friend's place this week to test it on a 1080p monitor.

The other one, which looks the same except for two holes for the IR and LED instead of being behind a piece of plastic, has no problem detecting the monitor max resolution.

Both of them can be set to autoplay on power up. I just put a single file on the SD card and after the splash screen and the menu screen momentarily, it then does auto play the file on the card. I gathered from the instructions that if there are multiple files on the card it will play them one after the other.

It also loops nicely, without the "play" icon showing up. (it does show up in autoplay mode for about one second, the first time it plays, but not subsequent times).

Return to “Video Synthesis”