Phil Cirocco Arp 2600 Upgrade - Need your opinion

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Phil Cirocco Arp 2600 Upgrade - Need your opinion

Post by intuitionnyc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:10 pm

FIRST: SORRY FOR THE CRAZY LONG THREAD

I called CMS (Phil Cirocco) a couple of months ago (end of summer) and send him two emails. I was JUST about to go elsewhere for my Arp 2600 restoration when he emailed me. He apologized about the wait time but he was into restoring/upgrading Pete Townsend's Arp 2500 and 2600. He said they are now open to taking on Arp 2600's for restoration (see his website).

Even though I heard stories about people having slow communication with him, I always heard great things about his work. So, I gently placed my 2600 in a well protected box, slapped a label on it and sent it to Phil.

He just emailed me (a couple days later) saying he got it and he will get an estimate back to me soon.

Before I give him the go ahead, I was just curious about your opinions on the upgrades I should get.

1) He is upgrading the power supply and audio path which goes into all his units. I also pretty much told him I want the works when it comes to oscillator octave switches, dual lfo's, etc.

2) Here's my question, he offers two modules with each going in the speaker cabinets. One is a filter and one is a VCO/Mixer.

http://www.discretesynthesizers.com/arp ... rp2600.htm

Here are the descriptions:

"24Db DUAL MODE FILTER - MODEL 2621- $1150.00 Installed

The one key element missing in a 2600 is a high-pass filter with resonance and associated coupling circuitry. The CMS 2620 is a dual mode, 24Db (Low-pass/High-pass), discrete, transistor ladder filter from the CMS 9000 series modules, Installed in the left speaker section. This original CMS design features a beautiful "raspy" resonance. Complete with anodized face plate, high quality controls, 1/8 inch Switchcraft normalized patching. Special switch links both filters in your 2600 together for a truly remarkable sounding band-pass function (24Db x 24Db). The resonance on the high-pass function is also very unique and distinctive. Requires power supply upgrade. Now comes with voltage controlled resonance.

VCO / 4 CHANNEL MIXER / INVERTER - MODEL 2627 - $1250.00 Installed

Installed in the right speaker section, this VCO utilizes the same exact circuitry used in the other VCO's in your 2600 to assure exact tracking and pitch stability characteristics. All four waveforms are available as well as pulse width modulation. Low frequency mode and normalized patching are also provided. The mixer section serves as a high quality audio mixer with the inputs either normalized to all 4 outs of VCO-4 or externally patched. The mixer can also be used as a voltage summer or inverter. Requires power supply upgrade.

I'm just curious to your thoughts of the Filter and VCA and whether or not this would remove some of the original look to the synth when I possibly sell it later on in life. I realize that doing these upgrades is taking the "original" tag off the Arp, but hey, if Phil's basic upgrades are good enough for Alan R. Perlman, they're good enough for me.

Thoughts???

Thanks for your help. Also, what are your thoughts on these other upgrades?

Other Upgrades

POWER SUPPLY REBUILD - (ALL MODELS) - 189.00
The power supply in your 2600 is about 30 to 40 years old. Certain components in the ARP 2600 power supply have a shelf life / working life of 20 years maximum. If your power supply has not been serviced in the last 20 years, chances are your power supply is not up to spec. This can result in excessive noise, ripple, and instability. Your power supply is removed. All critical components are professionally replaced. Stability and load are tested using factory specs. Rebuilt ARP power supplies are available from CMS but we require the old power supply in exchange.

AUDIO PATH UPGRADE PACKAGE - (ALL MODELS) - 399.00
This mod replaces all gain stages in the 2600 console with audiophile grade components for crystal-clear highs and a deep low end, while still maintaining the distinctive character of the 2600. Upgraded sections include: lag processor, voltage processors, reverb stages, preamp, VCF mixer, output mixer, output buffers, etc. We also fix the annoying VCA thump. Noise in the reverb section is reduced by 35%. Filter headroom is increased by a factor of 2! Stability and sound improvement guaranteed. Later model 2600s (almost all wood / tolex 2600s) use inferior sounding gain stages that severely impede the true sound of your 2600. Earlier 2600's (Blue Marvins and Gray Meanies) use "high slew rate" chips that sound much clearer. Restore your 2600 back to the specs that the original ARP engineers intended! Don't be fooled by imitations from "noob techs" or DIY attempts. If the Audio Path Upgrade is not performed correctly, it can become unstable and lead to high frequency self oscillation of all the amplifier sections!

17 INCH REVERB TANK - (ALL MODELS) - 99.00

Ever wonder why later model 2600s have such a lame reverb? Later model 2600s use smaller reverb tanks with a shorter delay time than earlier 2600s made by ARP. The only reason I can find for this change is economic. Our brand new reverb tanks use 3 springs, counter wound and placed in parallel for a rich, full sound. This mod restores your reverb sound back to the original "Blue Marvin / Gray Meanie" configuration.

MOOG STYLE FILTER MODULE - 4012cx - (ALL MODELS) - 379.00

The 4012 filter was used from 1971 (blue Marvin) to the middle of 1976. If your 2600 is a gray face, It probably utilizes the 4012 module. The 4012 is a ladder type filter using discrete transistors. The original 4012 made by ARP is prone to instability. The 4012 replacement filter by CMS is guaranteed stable yet uses the exact circuit that ARP used. Better quality components and personal attention to craftsmanship yield a filter of superior sonic characteristics! See the Sub-module section for more info.

FILTER MODULE UPGRADE - (4072) - (LATER MODELS) - 89.00

All later ARP filters (after 1975) have a cutoff frequency limit of 11 kHz. This mod upgrades the cutoff frequency range from 11 kHz to 28 kHz. We also upgrade the filter output amp and control summing amp. This is a necessity for all un-encapsulated filters. A cost effective alternative to a 4012 module.

VCA MODULE UPGRADE - (4019) - (LATER MODELS) - 99.00

If your VCA module is un-encapsulated, we can give it crystal clear highs and a deep low end. Also provides lower distortion and a faster slew-rate. If you have an encapsulated ARP VCA, this upgrade is not available, but improved un-encapsulated replacement modules are available, see sub-modules page, model 4019cx.

STAGE TWO UPGRADES / MODIFICATIONS FOR THE ARP 2600

These upgrades / modifications are more extensive and time consuming than the above. They usually involve partial to complete disassembly, front panel machining, re-assembly etc.

1/4 INCH LINE LEVEL JACKS - 99.00

Professionally installed 1/4 inch Switchcraft jacks at line level (designed to interface with your studio mixer etc.) on both main outputs, VCA output, and preamp input. 4 jacks total.

SYNC SWITCHES - 199.00

Two independent high quality miniature toggle switches that syncs VCO-1 to VCO-3, and VCO-2 to VCO-3 This setup enables dual sync (two separate harmonics) if desired. Stability guaranteed, unlike the factory version. You must have at least 1 un-encapsulated VCO to install this mod.

ENVELOPE GENERATOR RANGE EXPANDER SWITCHES - 169.00 for both

Miniature high quality toggle switches that provide 2 additional time ranges for the attack, decay and release time of the ADSR generator and the attack and decay time of the AR generator.

ADSR: The ADSR is quick in a stock 2600. The 3 position switch we install gives you a x1(factory speed), a x2 and a x3 speed, providing much longer times previously unavailable on a 2600.

AR: Conversely, the AR generator in a 2600 is quite sluggish in certain situations. This mod now includes an upgrade of the AR circuit. In addition to the normal X1 mode, the high quality 3 position switch provides a new high speed mode for sharper attacks, as well as a X2 mode for longer attack and release times.

VARIABLE VCF KEYBOARD TRACKING - 75.00

The filter tracking on a 2600 is fixed at 1v per octave. This is quite limiting especially if you are shooting for natural textures. This mod provides a high quality miniature rotary potentiometer that adjusts the filter tracking ratio from 0 to 1v/octave.

POWER SUPPLY UPGRADE - (ALL MODELS) - 399.00

The power supply in your 2600 is about 30 to 40 years old. This upgrade features a professionally installed, high power, highly stable, military spec power supply. This power supply features a high speed regulation circuit that reduces cross-talk between sub-modules in your 2600 system. The overall sound quality and oscillator purity are noticeably improved. Warning: These power supplies must be installed by a professional. Incorrect installation of a power supply upgrade can lead to system instability.

STAGE THREE UPGRADES / MODIFICATIONS FOR THE ARP 2600

These major upgrades / modifications are very extensive and time consuming. They require complete disassembly, front panel machining, rewiring, re-assembly etc.

LED INDICATORS - 59.00 each

Miniature LED indicators providing visual feedback on both E.G. outputs (red), s/h clock (green) and envelope follower (yellow). Requires the power supply upgrade.

DUAL LFO - 389.00

We install 2 LFOs below the voltage processors. They have sine and square outputs and also have LED indicators included. Requires the power supply upgrade.

COMPARATOR / DISTORTION - 199.00

This can be used to square up a waveform. It also makes a good distortion device according to John McEntire from Tortoise. Includes LED indicator.

SCHMITT TRIGGER - 189.00

This useful circuit is sometimes called a trigger detector or gate detector. It is typically used to trigger the envelopes when controlling the unit externally by guitar etc. This circuit also frees up the envelope follower so it can modulate the filter, VCOs etc. An LED indicator also provided. The input jack is normalized to the output of the envelope follower.

VCO OCTAVE SWITCHES - Fixed version - 85.00 each, Variable version - 115.00 each

There are 2 versions of octave switches available. The fixed version has a high quality 3 position miniature toggle switch that shifts the pitch 1 octave up or down. The variable version has the 3 position toggle and a high quality potentiometer ARP 2500 knob to dial in any desired interval over a 2 octave range.

VCO RAMP/PULSE SELECTOR SWITCH AND AUX OUTPUT - 179.00 for each VCO

Unlike the triangle and sine outputs on VCO2, all the square and sawtooth VCO outputs on the 2600 are somewhat unique since they are only positive going: 0V to +10V. There is actually +5V D.C. present in all the ramp and pulse outputs on the 2600.

This mod provides and additional output jack that provides a symmetrical ramp/pulse waveform that is -5V to +5V with no D.C. present. This provides an auxiliary audio signal with much less potential for saturation. This symmetrical waveform can be used as an alternative source of FM that is very useful when modulating another VCO. It is also very useful as an alternative source for the Ring Modulator to obtain output waveforms previously unavailable on a 2600.

There is a switch next to the output jack that selects either pulse or sawtooth for the output. The output is also "normalized" to the filter audio inputs. This provides convenient ramp/pulse switching for the filter mixer audio input.

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Never had or played a 2600. Missed one by 5 minutes.
I have had an Avatar and a Solus.
If it were mine, I would be less interested in the stage three mods and definitely not into the first two high dollar options.
Which filter are you sporting?
those other mods sound like the cats pj's.
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Would you devalue it by ripping out the speakers and what not
getting it modded is one thing but stooping it up i duno as you'll be making a hot rod.
good luck quite scary but in safe hands i believe :tu:

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:55 pm

fireclown wrote:Never had or played a 2600. Missed one by 5 minutes.
I have had an Avatar and a Solus.
If it were mine, I would be less interested in the stage three mods and definitely not into the first two high dollar options.
Which filter are you sporting?
those other mods sound like the cats pj's.
+1

Just go with the essential, middle "Stage 2" and "Other" ones. The price for the first group are ridiculous IMHO and the third group is cool but not as essential IMHO. Is yours an earlier or later one. If it's a later one I wouldn't bother with the Moog one unless you could switch between the moog and later filter.

freeyerheel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by freeyerheel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:06 pm

id say if you can afford it all go for it. especially the speaker mods! ive never seen one of those come up for sell and not entirely sure how it would affect your investment, i know if i had the choice between two 2600's that were the same price is go for the one with the mods. your basically getting a pretty rare synth in return for you money. its not cheap though! i have a 2600 that is entirely original and if i could afford it and thought id get it back in reasonable time frame i wouldnt hesitate. im saying this as if i had endless cash supply mind you. otherwise as is id think what kind of new euro i could buy that would easily be more function riddled and rad. if you think you might ever get rid of it however, you might want to just do the minimum. if this is something your going to cherish and love forever go for the full on cms synth mods. it will be a hotrod im sure! i always thought it would be cool if you could pick some of his other modules for the speakers like the phase module (9010 in one and the 9027 harmonic modulator)

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I truly appreciate you taking the time to read ALL of the post.

With that said, here are a couple of things:

1) I already have a decent size Euro rig. A Doepfer monster case with Doepfer, Harvestman, Livewire, Macbeth, Cwejman, Tip Top Audio, Bubblesound and other modules. I'm covered in Euro. I also have a Memorymoog, Jupiter 6 and an SE Midimoog. I'm not bragging, I'm just trying to give you context.

2) I will probably have this synth forever. I can't see myself selling it, but never say never.

3) My unit is a 2601 (Serial #387 or something like that). I got it for $2,000 about 6-7 years ago. There were some aftermarket mods done to it already which I'm not crazy about.

4) I always wanted to get it evaluated and restored by someone who knows their Arps. I would get upgrades if they were "worth it."

5) While I will be using the Arp constantly, I am also looking at it as a collectable.

I LOVE the idea of the other mods, but I just get a little scared. I don't want to look back and say, "why did I mess up this synth?" And when I mean "mess it up," I mean "why did I alter from its original design?"

I don't want to "hot rod" it up per se. I am just asking for others opinions and advice. 1) they may think of something I haven't 2) I am curious as to what others perceive about the amount of money put into these upgrades vs. the value of them. I am financially comfortable but that doesn't mean I want to go nuts just because I have the means to. I want to be practical too.

Anyway, I hope that gives better insight. Thank you again for your replies.

lvoemachine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lvoemachine » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:49 pm

I think putting in high quality components can be a good thing, not necessarily just because of sound/noise floor as much as not worrying about failures in the future. Instruments are made to be used so if you feel like you'll get more out of the arp with the mods, go for it. A freshly touched up instrument by a legendary tech is a good thing, IMO. In the end, it's personal. Yes you want it to be collectible but you also only live once. Look at it in terms of opportunity cost of your time/money. If the current mods bother you and you have the ability to resolve that so you more thoroughly enjoy the instrument, don't hesitate to make that instrument truly yours. He seems like he knows what he's doing. The name dropping is pretty funny, though, but I understand why he does it.

In the end, the reason we buy gear and use gear like we do is to enjoy ourselves. The main question is, will it be more fun to play with when it's modded? Take life and experience it to it's fullest. It's one of the great things about not being 21 anymore, having a job and working hard for years to get where you're at now. Now go get that beast 100% and make some great tunes.

:sb: :sb: :sb: :sb:

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:08 am

personally i would go for it. as you will probably never sell it, and as those mods sound definitely rad, i think theres no reason to be afraid. who needs external speakers? a fourth vco/lfo is superb and that 24db bandpass sounds like something worth adding. who needs those speakers anyway.
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:12 am

What´s the point of these two additional modules that get hacked into the speaker section? I am sorry for sounding anal but I would really think twice before hacking into an 8,000 US$ synth without being able to bring back the unit to original condition again. If you really need to have these modules, why not go for external stand-alone boxes then?

Audio path upgrade. Yes and no. The thumping noise (VCA offset) can be a bit annoying at times but I think *this* is the secret behind the 2600´s oomph. Perhaps you might want to have the filter bug fixed for better frequency response (although I had my tech perform this on a ProDGX which sounded more hi-fi-ish to me after the mod... I still am not sure whether it actually sounded *better*, though).

Replacing jacks with better ones seems a wise thing to do, as well as replacing worn connectors with better and more sturdy ones. Same thing with broken sliders, a better reverb tank, new latches and other hardware (or perhaps even re-tolexing the unit).

For the rest, make it a better instrument and leave out what is not necessary.

Stephen

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:46 am

Fellow Wigglers,

Again, thank you so much for your feedback. I truly appreciate your time and opinions.

I will take all your input to make a better educated decision which caters to my desires/needs.

Cheers!

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Something came to my mind:

You don´t buy an ARP 2600 for what it *can´t* do.

Stephen

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

Post by nadafarms » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:21 pm

I wouldn't do anything to an arp 2600! I would just spend all that money on a euro setup

ChurchyLaFemme
Common Wiggler

Post by ChurchyLaFemme » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:08 pm

I had my Arp 2601 (Orange + Black) upgraded by Phil, and one thing I want to mention is that post-repair, my Arp has a significantly cleaner sound, not necessarily for the better. When I bought my Arp, its post-lawsuit filter had this lovely overdrive that made it breath in a way that was distinct from any other synth I've played.

I can now sort of get this sound by routing the VCA back through the Pre-amp. It is very hard to control, however, and I sometimes find myself regretting getting the mod. The synth is greatly improved in other ways -- the reverb, for instance -- but I feel obliged to mention that some of the aged personality of the synth might be lost by getting it cleaned up.

I don't mean to completely dissuade you. I have not had that much time to spend with my Arp since getting it back from Phil, so I'm still exploring new ways to access its previous quality (any suggestions would be much appreciated!). Certainly, this overdrive got in the way sometimes (it tended to not be evenly distributed across the synth's range), so I am grateful in many patches that the dirty sheen is gone.

More relevant to your question, I highly recommend the envelope upgrades, as I was never a big fan of the 2600's ADSR before sending it to Phil. Oscillator sync might be cool too, though I do not have this mod.

Hope this was helpful, and does not lead to further ambivalence. If your Arp's hiss is not a big part of what you like about it, I would go for the mod 100%. Good luck!

Cheers,

Churchy
[/i]

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks Churchy.

This sounds kind of funny, but if I get the Arp back and I really don't like the restorations/upgrades, I may sell it to get another Arp.

To be honest, my Arp was in decent condition but not GREAT condition. I didn't mind running the Post Filter output of the arp out to my Euro Rack setup. It sounded pretty great. I just wanted the instrument to be the best it can be. Perhaps, this will be a step backwards, I don't know. We'll see. This is really an expensive experimenet for me. TBH, Phil is a hard guy to get in touch with to restore your Arp. When he contacted me, I thought, "what the hell, now that I have him." I have heard great things about his upgrades and thought, "it's now or never with him."

Does your Phil Arp sound too clean now??? Did it REALLY lose character???? If so, how much???

ChurchyLaFemme
Common Wiggler

Post by ChurchyLaFemme » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:01 pm

Ehhh it's kind of hard to describe what changed so I thought I'd go searching through my files from when I first got the Arp last year for an example. Here's what I came up with: forgive my silly pentatonic/Zawinul noodling. I was really psyched when I discovered this breathy, flutey tone and sort of sat on the patch bewildered for a second. The 'lost character' that I am referring to is the high-end noise/sheen of distortion (around 1:10 really epitomizes it).

https://soundcloud.com/churchylafemme/2 ... -overdrive

I really don't want to badmouth Phil as he fixed up my Arp when it was in need, so I feel compelled to mention that I am working with a different (i.e. inferior) rig these days, using an uber-clean PA system instead of my old Roland amp. These speakers completely lame-ify my Voyager's OD, so they might be central to the loss of tone with my Arp as well.

Hope this helps. Let me know if clarification is necessary!

Kyhotay
Common Wiggler

Post by Kyhotay » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Here's my $8,000 worth of 2600 Wisdom: Ya got the money? Don't have a better investment to put the funds into? Want to keep the synth forever and a day and use it for music creation? Then go for it.

Phil did my restoration. It was pretty much a rebuilt that cost about $1,200 or so. It made a giant improvement. I didn't go crazy with everything he could do but trusted Phil to recommend what needed to be done. It took 8 months to get my synth back but it was when he moved his operation about 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, I had to sell my beloved 2600 a couple of weeks back to pay for having my roof replaced.

No one but you can decide what to spend and/or invest your money into. In my case it paid off better than my 401k plan.
Brian Folkes
Heavy into Fracing...

https://soundcloud.com/brian-folkes

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:39 pm

Churchy,

Thanks for that demo. I appreciate it. I listened to it. I definitely hear that sheen of noise/distortion you're talking about. My Arp had a little dirty-ness to it too. I did like it, but it's not the end of the world if it's gone.

Kyhotay,

Thank you for your words too. That pretty much sums it up for me. I will talk to Phil and see what he recommends before going "hog wild" on all the features.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:15 am

Had an Arp 2600 (grey face) for five or six years. I sold it when I relocated. Shouldn't have.
Some of the CMS mods have been documented, so I had my trusted tech do a couple of upgrades.
I love the character of the 2600, so I didn't do anything that altered the sound.
The original power supplies are crappy. So we changed the power supply.
Some of the audio components are getting old and have been improved. So we upgraded the reverb gain staging and audio path, and also some of the components around the output VCA.
That's it.
My Arp became less noisy and more reliable, but nothing changed about the tone. And the whole thing cost me a few hundred dollars including the tech fee.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:38 am

I can see the attraction of going for all of the mods and speaker removal )ala Michael Cotton), but I would not go that far. Power supply and all old caps replaced throughout yes. The caps will die and maybe leak, etc. Mine fried on the power supply. Reverb replacement. I had mine 'upgraded' to a larger newer Acuutronics tank. It is massive, but I prefer the original. Maybe clean up the reverb path for less noise.

As far as mods, Sync might be nice. That is about all a 2600 lacks. I actually think the speakers are handy as hell and sometimes I mic them because I think it sounds better with most patches through the speakers :zombie: .

If it's a beater and you are not in love with it's sound then go for it. But if you don't care for it after all of the work, then you might be out some money. Maybe not. I do not know what a CMS full blown unit goes for.

I wouldn't feel pressured to make hasty decisions just because yu were actually able to get a call back and be in the queue.
Good luck with your choices. I am sure his work is tops.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:38 am

ChurchyLaFemme wrote:I had my Arp 2601 (Orange + Black) upgraded by Phil, and one thing I want to mention is that post-repair, my Arp has a significantly cleaner sound, not necessarily for the better. When I bought my Arp, its post-lawsuit filter had this lovely overdrive that made it breath in a way that was distinct from any other synth I've played.
[...] More relevant to your question, I highly recommend the envelope upgrades, as I was never a big fan of the 2600's ADSR before sending it to Phil. Oscillator sync might be cool too, though I do not have this mod.
[...]
I think this is what I meant by "hi-fi-ish" -- the ProDGX´s 4075 VCF sounded cleaner and less overdriven after the modification but, somehow, it didn´t sound quite as appealing anymore.

The envelope upgrade is the only upgrade that had been performed on my 2600 prior to me purchasing it; it´s a simple toggle switch that extends the EG range by the factor 4 which is more useful.

Okay, while you´re at it, you might want to have the output jacks replaced with proper 1/4" jacks to get rid of adaptors making bad contact all the time...

Stephen

doctorvague
ole fuckity fuck

Post by doctorvague » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:41 am

This guy has a long long reputation for never getting back with anyone even after the person has tried repeatedly. Now he's done with a big job and (apparently) needs works so he actually answered you. Personally I won't deal with those kind of people no matter how gifted they are. Even a delivery guarantee would be worthless (to me) from someone like that. 4 years from now you may be posting "I don't understand... he's got my money and my 2600 torn apart on a bench and now he won't anwer any of my emails... what do I do???"

When someone has a web site advertising mods, modules etc, and you write to them (several times) offering them money for a job and they don't have the courtesy to send back a one-sentence email "Sorry we are booked up for the next 3 years." then fuck 'em. Maybe once he has your deposit he would be fine to work with, who knows, but I wouldn't bet my money on it considering the long preceding reputation.

Kyhotay
Common Wiggler

Post by Kyhotay » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:50 am

Having dealt personally with Phil I have to agree with the good Doctor. My recommendation for refurbishing ARPs and other synths is New England Analog. They did a great job on my Oddy; were TOTALLY responsive to my communications; fast turn around - like 2 weeks vs 8 months - & were flexible about prices. They're good guys.
Brian Folkes
Heavy into Fracing...

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:11 pm

doctorvague wrote:This guy has a long long reputation for never getting back with anyone even after the person has tried repeatedly. Now he's done with a big job and (apparently) needs works so he actually answered you. Personally I won't deal with those kind of people no matter how gifted they are. Even a delivery guarantee would be worthless (to me) from someone like that. 4 years from now you may be posting "I don't understand... he's got my money and my 2600 torn apart on a bench and now he won't anwer any of my emails... what do I do???"

When someone has a web site advertising mods, modules etc, and you write to them (several times) offering them money for a job and they don't have the courtesy to send back a one-sentence email "Sorry we are booked up for the next 3 years." then fuck 'em. Maybe once he has your deposit he would be fine to work with, who knows, but I wouldn't bet my money on it considering the long preceding reputation.
I completely understand what you're saying. But from what I understand, he doesn't charge you a dime (not even deposit) until your unit is done. I will see. I am going with his restoration. Just not sure to what level. I will leave feedback with my experience.

So far, from my experience, he has been really pleasant. Yes, he did not answer my email or phone call for a few months, but that doesn't bother me as I heard this up front and expected such. I am not as concerned about turnaround time and bargain prices as long as I get the best work possible.

Thanks again guys for your input. I REALLY appreciate it.

Kyhotay
Common Wiggler

Post by Kyhotay » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:50 pm

But from what I understand, he doesn't charge you a dime (not even deposit) until your unit is done.
True enough. When I did send my unit in he gave a run down on what was critical along with an estimate. There were changes along the way but handled professionally. I didn't pay until the 2600 was ready to go.

Like I said earlier the work is great, the prices high, the repair time is slow and his communication style, well...isn't. I was please with the work of New England Analog and would have them do any future work if I hadn't sold my analog beastie collection to pay for a fucking roof.
Brian Folkes
Heavy into Fracing...

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:47 pm

Wow i think after following this thread i think you should go for the mod's you want, as it wouldn't do you any harm and would be great fun pushing the new machine to other/next levels.
Enjoy and you'll still have 2600 :tu:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”