Eurorack retailers in Canada?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

bg1979
Common Wiggler

Eurorack retailers in Canada?

Post by bg1979 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Other than Moog Audio (in Toronto and Montreal) does anyone know of any other "bricks and mortar" Eurorack retailers in Canada?

NU
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NU » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Tom Lee sells Pittsburgh stuff but it seems to be special order only. Maybe their Vancouver store will stock it at some point.

Yeggman
Common Wiggler

Post by Yeggman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:10 pm

I don't think there's anywhere in Alberta that stocks modular stuff... but I could be wrong. But it's mostly Long & McQuade around here (there's FOUR L&Ms in Edmonton).

I've ordered stuff from Moog Audio & from Analogue Haven, and that's been fine... no chance of trying things out beforehand though.

bg1979
Common Wiggler

Post by bg1979 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Yeah I'm now in Edmonton myself after 6 years in Toronto and definitely miss being able to walk down the street and try out expensive modules!

was hoping there might be something in Vancouver at least...

analogue01
Ultra Wiggler

Post by analogue01 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:38 pm

I'm kind of surprised there isn't anything in Vancouver yet, especially with Intellijel on the scene.

Not sure what the deal with GearMedia in Winnipeg is, but they seem to stock some things. Mostly Harvestman.
bg1979 wrote:Yeah I'm now in Edmonton myself after 6 years in Toronto and definitely miss being able to walk down the street and try out expensive modules!

was hoping there might be something in Vancouver at least...
WEBSITE
Rob Ae wrote:plugging CV gate cables in my mouth, to taste the voltages, turned out to enhance my skills.

NU
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NU » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:41 pm

This is totally vague but somebody was running a shop in Edmonton. I don't know if it's online-only or if it even exists anymore but I exchanged some emails with them about Tiptop power supplies at the beginning of the year. I can't even find a trace of their existence right now.. :confused:

EDIT: It was gearmedia.net. They're based in Edmonton..

bg1979
Common Wiggler

Post by bg1979 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:26 pm

interesting

so far they just stock Harvestman and TipTop but still, that's promising, thanks for the heads up

analogue01
Ultra Wiggler

Post by analogue01 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Oh yeah, GearMedia is totally in Edmonton. Idk why I though it was Winnipeg :despair:
WEBSITE
Rob Ae wrote:plugging CV gate cables in my mouth, to taste the voltages, turned out to enhance my skills.

bg1979
Common Wiggler

Post by bg1979 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:21 pm

well both cities are isolated on the prairies, with -30 C weather for half the year and buried under 10 feet of snow so easy mistake :tu:

Yeggman
Common Wiggler

Post by Yeggman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Oh wow, GearMedia eh? Very interesting indeed. I wonder what the market here is like. I know there's at least a couple "bands" around town who use modulars.

bg1979 wrote:well both cities are isolated on the prairies, with -30 C weather for half the year and buried under 10 feet of snow so easy mistake :tu:
haha yeah, and we're already well on our way to that 10 feet after the last couple days

Micro Stuart
Common Wiggler

Post by Micro Stuart » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:14 am

Analogue haven has a really good, up-to-date system, lots of selection, and shipping is reasonable. Between modulargrid and YouTube videos, you can plan a fairly large system! Would be nice to get up to moog audio to test drive some modules tho..

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:49 am

Wow, more Edmonton wigglers, cool. :party:

Mike at gear media is a good guy, very helpful, I just don't know how active he is now, hasn't been easy to reach lately.

I've been to Tom Lee in a Van to see their Pitts stuff but have never been to Moog.

Mind you my wifey is presenting at a conference in TO today and walked into Moog! Hope she was Xmas shopping! :party:

southafrica
Common Wiggler

Post by southafrica » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:31 am

Before ordering from MoogAudio always email them to find out if they actually have the modules you want in stock. If they say they'll have it in a few weeks it generally means six months or more from my experience with them. This was with regards to Livewire, MakeNoise and TiptopAudio products throughout this year.

analogue01
Ultra Wiggler

Post by analogue01 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:46 am

Yeah, ordering through Moog takes forever. I pretty much only buy things they have in store. Otherwise Analogue Haven or direct order (Intellijel, Modcan) is the way to go :tu:
WEBSITE

bg1979
Common Wiggler

Post by bg1979 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:50 am

yeah i really wish they'd update their website to show current in stock like AH and most of the others do

analogue01
Ultra Wiggler

Post by analogue01 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 am

They don't seem to care too much; "call first" is the attitude. Some of their modular guys are on the forum, so maybe if we yell loud enough...
WEBSITE

dtonthept
Common Wiggler

Post by dtonthept » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Yep definitely drop Moog a line pre-ordering, I've gotten into the habit of doing this recently and it's all been great, they normally reply pretty quick.

My fave retailer in Canada these days is Intellijel direct from the website, though obviously it's not bricks and mortar I've found the ease of buying direct plus the awesomeness of their modules makes them the best choice for the majority of stuff I need.

Except Maths, obviously :zombie:

analogue01
Ultra Wiggler

Post by analogue01 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:46 pm

dtonthept wrote:My fave retailer in Canada these days is Intellijel direct from the website
+1
WEBSITE

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:09 pm

I wish the intellij website let you create an account to login and see orders. But without a doubt their shipping, service, and repairs are the best!

Yeggman
Common Wiggler

Post by Yeggman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:14 pm

southafrica wrote:Before ordering from MoogAudio always email them to find out if they actually have the modules you want in stock. If they say they'll have it in a few weeks it generally means six months or more ...
+ 1 - I didn't email them the first I placed an order and I ended up getting all my modules in the mail (used) while still having to wait a few weeks for the HEK to be back in stock. Not a huge deal, I just wish it weren't so easy to purchase something that is out of stock.

dtonthept wrote:My fave retailer in Canada these days is Intellijel direct from the website
:woah: I didn't even know you could do that! Somehow I missed it.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Just did my second order with Moog. First time around they were lacking the specific length of TipTop stackable I ordered and so were delaying my order while waiting for stock. After emailing to ask what was delaying my order, I got them to switch the cable for another one (longer, same price!) and the order was shipped right away.

Second time around I figured I would email first to make sure they had everything before ordering. I ordered a bunch of TT modules, but there were a couple I wanted which they didn't have listed on the site. Turns out they had them in stock. I had to wait a few days while their website team added them to the site so I could add them to the cart. At this point I'm waiting for that order to ship after pulling the trigger today...

Definitely not the smoothest process either time :/

sinemod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sinemod » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:18 pm

There is Martin (Technopolis ) for Doepfer in canada

Opus110
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Opus110 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:19 pm

sinemod wrote:There is Martin (Technopolis ) for Doepfer in canada
Yep. Bought a lot of modules from him. Very efficient.
“The purpose of music is to quiet and sober the mind, thus making it susceptible to divine influences.” Gita Sarabhai to John Cage

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:40 am

What's the best way to buy modules from Martin? He has no online store? :hmm:

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:49 am

I just emailed him to ask about shipping and he replied back in a couple of hours.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”