Beginner friendly modular videos - Monotrail Tech Talk series

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

trm
Common Wiggler

Beginner friendly modular videos - Monotrail Tech Talk series

Post by trm » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:28 am

Hi everyone, I decided to make a new thread with a broad title as I like to share these video's with you all, but don't want to clutter up the fora when I keep making these in the future. So just one central place for these. Hope that's oke!

Today we have a beginner friendly introduction to modular / eurorack drones. We go over some modules and basic patch-tips in four categories: sound generators, sound shapers, modulators and mixer. We’ll talk about some basic oscillator features, modulators such as filters and wavefolders and so on. There’s a lot to cover and making this video already inspired me to do more videos about specific aspects, such as random voltages and matrix mixers. This is a new video series for me, let me know what you think of this video or what you’d like to see in the future. Constructive feedback is always welcome!

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Beginner friendly modular videos - Monotrail Tech Talk series

Post by Lux A Turner » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:46 am

Excellent video - so much info, so concisely explained with top-notch use of diagrams.

So much to learn - I'm still digesting the basic utilities video from the other day.

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:29 am

Great vids. Will watch again for sure. Will continue watching the series. Thanks for these

!MONDO ANTHEM!
Live Large, Live Often.

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:20 am

Hello again! And thanks for the positive comments! :)

Today we sort of continue last weeks Drone video with a look at self-playing patches! We go over making a clock, trigger and gates. What to do with triggers and gates once you have a nice structure going on. And we also go over how to generate some interesting melodies. Finally we’ll have a look at some structures. Stay safe!

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 am

Ace! Thank you for sharing. I will watch these as I am new to modular and learning. I don't think that one can ever master everything as there are literally thousands of modules and various formats and tons of complex options besides bread and butter modules. Heck, just my Kermit MK3 is a super complex deep module as is the Quadrax.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

smazur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smazur » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:35 pm

Keep them coming! This is great. I usually have to parse several videos on youtube to get that kind of information and rarely if ever are they this clearly explained.

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:10 am

Hi there!

Thanks for the kind words on these, positive vibes are such a great inspiration to make videos! As I mentioned before, I'll try and keep this series concentrated in this tread from now on. So here goes. New lockdown new videos :)

Today we are going over the basic features of my favourite sample player, the 4MS Stereo Triggered Sampler. More importantly, we’ll have a look at some things I like to do with sample players. Like turning them into a piano or synth voice. We'll have a look at a few tricks to play chords and use textures and noise in your tracks.

Stay safe, and all the best!
Rijnder

markincork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markincork » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 am

Just to chime in on how useful these are. You also convinced me to buy a 3xMia :yay:

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:05 am

As promised, today we are going to use our modular sample player to create interesting drum patterns and sounds. With the help of the Korg SQ-1 we turn our sample player into a full drum machine by sequencing individual single drum hits. And later on in the video we go over some patching tricks to make and modulate new sounds.

Cheers!
Rijn

Colemanroman
Common Wiggler

Post by Colemanroman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:54 am

markincork wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 am
Just to chime in on how useful these are. You also convinced me to buy a 3xMia :yay:

Me too.Great explainer by Monotrail.

astromass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by astromass » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:32 am

Definitely enjoyed these. Very inspiring!

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks again for the kind words people! I should get in touch with Igor for the MIA's I sell ;)

This time I got my hands on an AtoVproject 16n Rework. A eurorack module based on the open-source 16n faderbank, but completely remodeled so it can easily be integrated in the eurorack format. In this video we’ll have a look at how these faders can improve control over your modular and other gear. I hook it up to my favorite live-patch, and we go over some nice hybrid functionality.

Stay safe, and all the best! Rijn

Quiet Wilds
Common Wiggler

Post by Quiet Wilds » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:17 pm

This series is really excellent, and has given me a ton of ideas already. Thanks so much for it!

Quiet Wilds
Common Wiggler

Post by Quiet Wilds » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:36 am

trm wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:28 am
Today we have a beginner friendly introduction to modular / eurorack drones. We go over some modules and basic patch-tips in four categories: sound generators, sound shapers, modulators and mixer. We’ll talk about some basic oscillator features, modulators such as filters and wavefolders and so on.
Question - I’ve been getting more and more into drone based stuff as my rack has expanded. I’ve had a Doepfer A-111-4 for a bit, I see you’re using the A-143-4. Do you think there’s any advantage for the A-143 over the A-111-4 other than price?

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:48 am

Just started watching, great video series! Are you a native of Berlin? Your English is excellent!

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:12 am

Today we are going to have a look at building a modular system designed for making Techno! This is another beginner friendly video in which we define some key elements: The kick, percussion, synths, effects and sequencers. For each of those elements we go over some core modules and options to look at.

This will be the last one from me this year, so all the best to everyone for 2021!
Rijn

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:18 am

And thanks for the nice comments!

@BenA718 - Thank you! And no, I moved to Berlin about 6 years ago, originally from the Netherlands :)

@Quiet Wilds - Really differetn beasts I think! The Doepfer A-111-4 you've been using is a full voice, with filter, VCA and so on. So it can definetly do a lot of things the A143-4 can't do. That is basically a quad voltage controlable lfo, that can easily go into audio range. The cv inputs make it great for cross-modulation, experiments and heavy drones, but it would need other modules like a filter or envelope to get most out of shaping the sound.

Quiet Wilds
Common Wiggler

Post by Quiet Wilds » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:01 pm

trm wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:18 am
And thanks for the nice comments!

@BenA718 - Thank you! And no, I moved to Berlin about 6 years ago, originally from the Netherlands :)

@Quiet Wilds - Really differetn beasts I think! The Doepfer A-111-4 you've been using is a full voice, with filter, VCA and so on. So it can definetly do a lot of things the A143-4 can't do. That is basically a quad voltage controlable lfo, that can easily go into audio range. The cv inputs make it great for cross-modulation, experiments and heavy drones, but it would need other modules like a filter or envelope to get most out of shaping the sound.
Hey thanks for the reply but the A-111-4 is the Quad Precision VCO, not the full voice (A-111-5 and A-111-6). Easy to confuse, Doepfer is terrible at organizing their nomenclature

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:14 pm

Ha sorry! Was to quick there indeed :) I have no experience with the new quad precision VCO. But to me that would seem nothing but an improvement! Better tracking, more waveforms, sync, and liniear FM! So I would not trade that down if you want to use it for audible drones. The only thing I can imagine is the a-143-4 works better as an LFO? As I dont see the range swithes on the 111-4.

Quiet Wilds
Common Wiggler

Post by Quiet Wilds » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:34 pm

I’ll prob try to pick up a smaller VC LFO to supplement it then, thanks!

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:07 am

Hello everyone! I’m moving my studio to a new location so decided to share this video I made a few months ago about preparing for a live show (light and audio got better since then ;) Iys not a video soley about modular, but still works for modular performances as well. Also, I know it’s a weird time, as there are no live shows to prepare for these days, but I’m staying optimistic and like to share this on my channel now for future use. After this one I’ll go back to brand new videos, in hopefully a usable studio space! Although I will mostly focus on modular videos in 2021, I plan to slowly expand and bring videos about general electronic music production into the mix as well. All the best!

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”