ciat lonbarde: decoding the rablolz (plumbutter)

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:24 pm

wow, that's just nuts! (and beautiful and ingenious)

bartlebooth
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bartlebooth » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:37 pm

dude wrote:wow, i cannot wrap my head around this. why bananas at this stage of the game? seems odd that it won't incorporate directly with the other stuff without adapters. it looks gorgeous though. the colors are great!
the thing is they're all designed as standalone instruments. even though cross-patching is of course possible, they're not really intended to form a 'system' in the way a modular is. that being said, bananas will be used on future instruments going forward which i think is a good thing vs alligator clips.

bartlebooth
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bartlebooth » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:47 pm

regarding the colors, i like the scheme:
cool colors = inputs
warm colors = ouputs
green = go, for triggering a module

simple to remember

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Do you know what the white jack is for in The Man with the Red Steam?

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:36 pm

i like the use of bananas, certainly better than clips.
i guess i'm lucky too that my cocostuber has banana patch points so cross-patching will be easy if i want too.

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:41 pm

I got a ton of alligator to banana plug cables from eBay and thought I would mind using alligators but in practice it's not a problem at all. I cross patch between my Serge and the CocoQuantus and Sidrazzi all the time, now.

One advantage to the brass screws is the ability to touch them, bridge with coins/other materials, as well.

I guess we'll have to see if we can use an exposed banana plug or similar to allow touch control on the Plumbutter.

sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sgnhh » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:48 pm

ah, little bit disappointed in the nanners.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:56 pm

yeah i guess that was my point. loss of touch sensitivity means a further distance from the amazing tactility of a lot of his previous work. that aspect is by far my most favorite attribute of his creations. i suppose this one may just not be for me. and frankly that is probably good in that i have my hands full learning this system i have already amassed. but the thing is gorgeous.

pas
bump

Post by pas » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:19 pm

well well, this plumbutter looks awfully mystical, wondrous...just recently i bought a cocoquantus & now this will get in the way of my ciat-catchup, still need to acquire a sidrassi. this is my first glance at the plum, i'll spend the rest of the evening attempting to figure out what exactly i might need this for & then eventually cave.

bartlebooth
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bartlebooth » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:10 pm

cebec wrote:Do you know what the white jack is for in The Man with the Red Steam?
i believe its the snare (white is audio out)

bartlebooth
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bartlebooth » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:43 pm

dude wrote:yeah i guess that was my point. loss of touch sensitivity means a further distance from the amazing tactility of a lot of his previous work. that aspect is by far my most favorite attribute of his creations. i suppose this one may just not be for me. and frankly that is probably good in that i have my hands full learning this system i have already amassed. but the thing is gorgeous.
this is not such an issue with the rollz since touch was never really part of the playing style - even the primordial wood slat rollz-5 was meant to be patched. the roolz gewei doesn't respond that well to touch either (its only really useful on ultrasound). on instruments where gesture is needed there are still going to be barres, antennae and nodes but as a 'laboratory insrument' using modular style patching, bananas were chosen as preferable to alligators.

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:41 am

i've edited the thread title very slightly to make searches easier now we know the name of this new instrument.

subterryanean
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subterryanean » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:47 am

Holy shit.

I'm having a loss of words...

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:56 am

Holy sh*t! :omg:
THAT seems to be a modular drum machine straight out of hell :twisted:
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

nrdvrgr
Working at NASA on acid

Post by nrdvrgr » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:30 am

Now that is intriguing... gearlust, plague of the mind...

Pascal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pascal » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:49 am

I am happy

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:56 am

incredible graphics on that box. :hihi:

Plumbutter :nana: :nana: 8_) <those aren't glasses, they're pupils.

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:07 pm

The idea of 'drums & drama' really resonates with the way I think about sound / music. I wish I could afford some of Peters stuff. If I'm totally honest I'm not sure what I think about the wood, but I love the graphics & I bet if I met one of these in person I would be turned around on the mixed media aspect.

Until now I've not really known what to think of Ciat-Lonbarde but labrolzpapersz is an amazing document & the explanation of Jagersprache makes alot of things clearer to me, I think. I'm either closer to 'getting it' or further away than ever.

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:37 pm

you can get peters gear in clear plastic or atleast there was a time you could but he charges more because he thinks it looks stupid..atleast that was what he said to me when i went over to use his workshop to fix something a few years ago

bartlebooth
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bartlebooth » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:53 pm

vmgas wrote:you can get peters gear in clear plastic or atleast there was a time you could but he charges more because he thinks it looks stupid..atleast that was what he said to me when i went over to use his workshop to fix something a few years ago
i never heard that, that's pretty funny. not that surprising though as peter chooses the wood very carefully, its considered an important part of the instrument. i once went along on a wood-procuring expedition with him to central pennsylvania, nearly 3 hrs each way - he spent a long time there talking with the wood guy and selecting the proper boards for each inst, even smelling them! this is the kind of stuff that's easily overlooked but i believe makes each ciat instrument something special.

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:10 am

vmgas wrote:he charges more because he thinks it looks stupid..
:yay:

I totally get that & agree w/r/t clear plastic. Its funny, they don't grab me as in 'wow that looks amazing' but I don't think I can imagine them looking any other way. A really bland synth UI (which is my usual preferance) would just look odd.

@bartlebooth I really like the photo essay about getting wood for the sidrazzi & understand it is a big part of the instruments. As I said, I'm sure if I touched one I'd 180, in fact I was just watching Ratsko & Richards videos & they look great tangled up with 'regular' gear.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:04 am

wow

glitchpop
Fuck! Building synthesizers is art

Post by glitchpop » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:11 am

slow_riot wrote:wow
+1 :bananallama:

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:38 am

DGTom wrote:
vmgas wrote:he charges more because he thinks it looks stupid..
:yay:

I totally get that & agree w/r/t clear plastic. Its funny, they don't grab me as in 'wow that looks amazing' but I don't think I can imagine them looking any other way. A really bland synth UI (which is my usual preferance) would just look odd.

@bartlebooth I really like the photo essay about getting wood for the sidrazzi & understand it is a big part of the instruments. As I said, I'm sure if I touched one I'd 180, in fact I was just watching Ratsko & Richards videos & they look great tangled up with 'regular' gear.
dgtom, i felt the same way, sort of not getting it for a long time until i met a sidrazzi in person. the transition was immediate. it takes just a second with the instruments to realize the ingenuity. you have to touch them. they are designed imo to have fun while exploring sound. he always has pictures and video of (i believe) his child. this makes complete sense to me. i do so much better when i approach with the teachable fun brain of a child or as close as i can get to that.

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:46 am

Ahh Fark, its taking all my special powers not to order one of these right now!!!!!!
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”