What's your patch sampling work flow?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

nateflanigan
Common Wiggler

What's your patch sampling work flow?

Post by nateflanigan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:12 pm

I've gotten bored with recording like an hour of modular jamming, cutting out the good parts and calling it done. When I get a patch to a place I like I'm trying to zero in on specific knob movements, capture those then sequence some more structured music in a daw. I made a max patch for doing the actual sampling, I didn't want to record one big file that I would later get lost in, and I wanted minimal interface while doing the sampling session. For sequencing I like renoise. I haven't really settled on a work flow though, especially going from the raw audio clips to usable samples. If the audio clips are rhythmic or one hit style bursts it's pretty easy to cut up and find a tempo. But I've been having a hard time with he more amorphous drone stuff. I'll make loops that seem to work by themselves but when paired with other loops either the transition from one to another is weird and jarring or the timing is off or some other problem.
So, any advice on my specific approach would be welcome but I'm also really interested in whatever anyone else's patch sampling work flow is.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: What's your patch sampling work flow?

Post by Gringo Starr » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:01 pm

nateflanigan wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:12 pm
I'll make loops that seem to work by themselves but when paired with other loops either the transition from one to another is weird and jarring or the timing is off or some other problem.
I might not be understanding why your loops aren't transitioning well and these are pretty basic suggestions so maybe I won't be of much help but if you're not doing this already then try recording your patch also without any reverb or any effect for that matter. Record everything dry after you've already recorded long enough with the effects. That will at least give you the option to use the dry tracks if the effected tracks end up being too difficult to cut, paste, and piece together.

If I'm considering to cut and paste and make samples of different sections of my patch I will also make sure all sources of CV are at some point down the line being controlled by my DAW's clock.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:40 am

Great tip from above: No effects (reverb at least)
Along the lines of the synchronization mentioned above, knowing the BPM or pitch before you sample it can’t hurt.
Find that sound as you’re tweaking and then bust out a tuner or bpm clock source to get the patch to a known pitch/rate/bpm before you actually sample it.
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

nateflanigan
Common Wiggler

Post by nateflanigan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:49 am

Thanks, those are good points. The last session I did I sampled with reverb, so as one would expect when chopped up everything sounds a little weird and gated. It seems obvious now that some planning/pre-production goes a long way.

Hutenberger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Hutenberger » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:42 am

I record a lot into the octatrack, which i configured to overwrite the recording every 4 bars. So I can record for as long as I want, but when I stop the recording I only have the last 4 bars and not a big file. Seemed limited at first, but my process is a lot faster that way.
Neuzeit Instruments
INSTAGRAM: @neuzeit_instruments

nateflanigan
Common Wiggler

Post by nateflanigan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:55 pm

I record a lot into the octatrack, which i configured to overwrite the recording every 4 bars. So I can record for as long as I want, but when I stop the recording I only have the last 4 bars and not a big file. Seemed limited at first, but my process is a lot faster that way.
Oh, that's super smart, I'm going to tweak my max patch to do that. Are you syncing your modular from the octatrack so that 4 bars actually means something?

Return to “Production Techniques”