Live/studio Surround

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler

Live/studio Surround

Post by wetrawlmhz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:09 pm

Hello,
I would love to hear from wigglers who are using eurorack modules for live or studio surround sound.

How do you interface your modules with the speaker array? Which modules are you using? How do you move sounds/music around? How many speakers are you performing through?

Thanks in advance.

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Live/studio Surround

Post by fireclown » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:54 am

that is a topic of interest. I have always wanted to do acoustic mixing with speaker arrays, but you know, as practical things go.. not quite one of them. Conversely, not a huge fan of surround sound entertainment, whatever that means.
In my current iteration (incomplete but in place and soon to be connected up) I have two matching (coincidentally) receivers, ideally they each will receive separate mixer outs through spring reverbs (or simply dedicated units sent/returned as FX) with balanced outputs from several rack mount mixers into a single Mackie, and the unbalanced outs of the Mackie and another rack mount mixer routed to the receivers, to move the mixes betwixt and between without the reverb attached, I suppose, while the spring reverbs are available at the receiver, essentially.
If that makes any sense.
Plenty of automated modular panning options, but I think I am going to try some other paths.
What I have lined up for speakers amounts to about 5 or 6 pairs on three to four walls, one wall covered by speakers so lame I probably wont use them at all, unless some special effect for any binaural recording attempts. The other three walls seeing up to three pairs each,
switchable at the receivers which only offer a pair at a time, A/B switching.
A variety of speakers with varying range and character lacks, in sort of a V formation for the most part.
Ultimately i expect to have couple of axis in play and the opportunity to move audio components about in a malleable sound field, given the right phase relationships between speakers.
A couple other ideas I intend to exploit at the same time, and someday, maybe, outdoors,
might make this topic my obsession.
Let's see what happens.
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

finalplane
Common Wiggler

Re: Live/studio Surround

Post by finalplane » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:40 am

I have a quadraphonic system that I’m still setting up. As of now, until I get a vector generator / JAG type device, creating movement involves splitting and inverting bipolar signals. 4ms Vca Mixer is the main out and spatializer. Inputs are sounds- and outputs are 4 speakers, so each row’s cv inputs control spatialization. Theremin output is a simple human interface way of shifting space - output goes to 2 cv inputs, and its inverse output goes to 2 others.

4 outputs go to my Mackie mixer, LR front goes to LR front and LR back is through the alt-output of this mixer. This seems to work pretty well. These 4 outputs go into my Fostex digital recorder, from which I send the signals to my 4 speakers.

This is my first modular system, and it’s true what they say, that quad requires a large amount of cvs for serious effects.in my experience, it also requires a lot of wrangling / offsetting / adjusting CVs.
whipcreamsfruitquartet.bandcamp.com

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”