does anyone know what vatican shadow uses?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

does anyone know what vatican shadow uses?

Post by burnn_out! » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm

While its fresh in my mind from the TA post. I was thinking about Vatican shadow and I'm curious what he uses live and in the studio.
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

oldboardshorts
Common Wiggler

Post by oldboardshorts » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:53 pm

unsure of vatican shadow, BUT ...

i saw prurient live several times, and mostly it was a microphone, a mixer, several BOSS pedals, a POG, and a shitty line-6 or something multi-fx pedal. sometimes he would have a guitar / and or drums.

i was honestly always surprised how "unsophisticated" the gear was.

so, perhaps he takes a similar approach to playing with VS.

burnn_out!

Post by burnn_out! » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:10 pm

Yeah I heard prurient live is fairly sparse. I also heard he uses different stuff for the prurient project in the studio, than live. Old analog synths and whatnot.
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

NU
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NU » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:45 am

My understanding is that VS just uses prerecorded cassette tapes (with either a 4-track or a few walkmen) and some effects pedals live. The few live pics I've seen don't contradict this.

No idea how the sounds make it onto the tapes however..

burnn_out!

Post by burnn_out! » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:34 am

NU wrote:My understanding is that VS just uses prerecorded cassette tapes (with either a 4-track or a few walkmen) and some effects pedals live. The few live pics I've seen don't contradict this.

No idea how the sounds make it onto the tapes however..
So he's essentially djing with cassettes and guitar pedals. Man the hardcore noisecian in dom won't die, will it :lol: :mrgreen:
born in bathsalts..

Klaus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Klaus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:39 am

Really? I was under the impression that VS was just a Ableton/Logic affair these days? Same goes for Prurient actually

While I find the style and direction Prurient has taken to be absolutely horrible I do enjoy some of the compositional aspects of Vatican Shadow, the albums just sounds so damn thin an unrefined to my ears.

Dom and Hospital had a big effect on me and my own musical outlet when I was first exposed to it. Nowadays I must confess that I find the whole take on aesthetics, business and the actual "art" quite pathetic

NU
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NU » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 pm

I guess I got that impression from the presspack one of the labels circulated..
Anyone familiar with Fernow’s live setup will recognise the distinct nature of this material – making use of stems and partial tracks separated into a cassette system which is then relayered and mixed, effected with electronic processing. In short – Fernow uses his tape machines like turntables in a mix..

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:48 pm

I saw him live last week and it was indeed "DJ'ing" with cassette players with percussion on some and synth stuff on others, mixing them together through effects. No clue what he uses on the album, though for Prurient's "bermuda drain" he said that the album took way longer because of synthesizer equipment issues.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:56 pm

bermuda drain is easily one of the worst records i have ever heard
dudes a joke. kind of always has been.

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:58 pm

vmgas wrote:bermuda drain is easily one of the worst records i have ever heard
Hey now, buddy, a meal can be made.

I loved bermuda drain, but hadn't followed the guy previously. Reminds me of getting immature and mad to KMFDM records in high school.

[video][/video]
www.goodglassrecords.com

oldboardshorts
Common Wiggler

Post by oldboardshorts » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:17 pm

as a young kid i went from punk -> hardcore -> grind -> noise -> extreme noise -> power electronics as to what i liked to listen to in my free time. while prurient might not be "original" or "striking" in any way, i think that it is a really good meld of these kinds of styles in a modern, internet-buzz friendly package.

listening to bermuda drain all the way through, i think it shows a lot of nuance and cheeky references (or "rip-offs", depending...). i also think there's a fair amount of skill, as well. while it may not be your cup of tea, i'd definitely not consider it to be one of the worst records i've ever heard.

i'm also not saying that dom is the bee's knees, but i have to give respect and props for the all the attention he's gotten.

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:28 pm

Bath House wrote:
vmgas wrote:bermuda drain is easily one of the worst records i have ever heard
Hey now, buddy, a meal can be made.

I loved bermuda drain, but hadn't followed the guy previously. Reminds me of getting immature and mad to KMFDM records in high school.

[video][/video]

on the whole i just feel like his discography is the work of a hack to me. be it prurient, vegas martyrs, or vatican shadow..its just super whatever to crap to my eyes.

crystal hell pool
Wiggling with Experience

Post by crystal hell pool » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:17 pm

bermuda drain is pretty rad, i think the best shit is that rainforest spiritual enslavement stuff. i know dudes get super bent out of shape when someone "steps out" of their genre or whateves.
was watching a live vid of vatican shadow, dude was freaking out, i was like "whoa! chill on the tapes" and i scroll down to the best you tube comment ever-"chill out on the bath salts buddy" !!! hahah

burnn_out!

Post by burnn_out! » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:57 pm

I just scored most of Vatican Shadow's tapes. I believe I'm only missing a couple now. After going through them several times, I've noticed heavy attention to pads, percussion, and recording. In an interview I googled he mentioned a heavy influence from muslimgauze, I can hear that aspect. Compression and tape probably figure into the recordings heavily. The drums/ percussive elements usually have a fair amount of reverb. I can't pin the sound down, but I'm thinking maybe machinedrum. The drums don't sound of normal analog variety and there's definitely processing of individual drum sounds. Lastly the pads/drones I'm completely lost, but are extremely beautiful... Sorry to ramble on but I'm really digging this guys work...
born in bathsalts..

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Unlikely
www.goodglassrecords.com

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:34 pm

^

Gotta say that I decided to google Sophie Ellis-Bextors legs tonight after long holding suspicions re Bath House's avatar...

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:08 am

pixelmechanic wrote:^

Gotta say that I decided to google Sophie Ellis-Bextors legs tonight after long holding suspicions re Bath House's avatar...
Got a new one now! Love that woman.
www.goodglassrecords.com

Return to “Artist Discussion”